Panasonic HDC TM900: Determining the Length of a Video Date - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 11-27-2012, 04:34 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I originally posted this under Camcorders.

When you film an event (video) the scenes are compiled into a "date" as seen in edit mode. How do you find out its size in minutes or MB/GB? I know you can check the size of each scene but I can't find the length of the total scenes for that date. I've searched the manual, the camcorder, and sent two inquiries to Panasonic Support and got garbage back that wasn't related to my question.
I'm filming in 1080p60 on the internal memory. The only way I can get the length is after I've downloaded to the PC but it's in MB/GB but it doesn't show in minutes.
With all the features of the camcorder (many of which we don't use), you would think it would provide something as basic as the length (preferably in minutes) of a filming (date). If you're trying to determine how many dates you can put on a 4.7GB DVD you need to know the length of each date. This is particularly true if you're editing in a software program.

Have I missed something in the manual or camcorder?

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 11-27-2012, 05:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Right click on mts file>Properties>Details tab.. length is listed under Video:

If you want to see the file size, click the General tab.

If you want to see the info on more than one file, download freeware MediaInfo:
http://mediainfo.sourceforge.net/en

Once installed, select File>Open>Folder (a folder containing multiple mts files).
Wait for it to calculate, then choose View>Tree to get a list version.
You can scroll through as it lists info for each file in that folder; video, audio, duration, file size, bitrate, format, etc.
post #3 of 3 Old 11-27-2012, 11:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Videos are not compiled into "dates", they are just time-stamped. Yep, having duration displayed for each clip would be handy, I wonder why they don't do that. You can calculate amount of recorded video if you know memory card's size, bitrate of current recording mode and remaining time, the latter is displayed. Or just record onto 4GB cards, they will obviously fit onto 4.7GB disc.

BTW, I was archiving onto 4.7GB DVDs and stopped doing it, too many discs. I am using BDs now, 25GB, price per GB is about the same, but 5 times fewer discs.
Reply Camcorders

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page