Need Video Help!!! Panasonic Lumix vs. Sony Cybershot - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 11-30-2012, 08:35 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Let me first apologize and say that I have looked at a ton of reviews and searched Google extensively before attempting to bothering you guys. I was hoping however, that you could help me with a decision on a new point and shoot based on the video capabilities of the cameras in question.

I am currently trying to decide between the Panasonic Lumix ZS15 that shoots "Full HD 1920 x 1080 60p videos in AVCHD Progressive (MPEG-4) format or (30p in MP4)" and the Sony Cybershot dsc-wx150 that shoots video in "Full HD 1080/60i AVCHD™ video capture".

I have yet to figure out which is best. Please help!!! I hope to use this to mostly film my kids.

Thanks in advance!

Brian
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 11-30-2012, 10:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 94
Finer detail and faster motion is better captured in 1080 60p. The "p" means a full frame is captured with 1080 lines, 60 times every second. It is a current standard for HD TVs now on the market.

1080 60i is a "lesser" format where the "i" means "interlaced. In some ways it can be considered as left over from the beginnings of TV. When TVs were fat and slow, it worked best to display every other line, and then, the next "interlace" all the other lines. The eye didn't notice and transmission required less bandwidth.

It seems that many videos find their way to YouTube and Facebook and never get shown on a current flat screen TV. Various conversions take place for that. So, again, the eye will probably not notice.

Still, many vidographers think that important footage should be captured in the best possible format as the "original". Then, with software, various copies are made for the target. Typically, most editing software that makes high quality Blu-Ray discs will convert 1080p to 1080i!

Depending on equipment, 1080 60p files can be difficult to watch in their 60p original version.

Given the two choices, I would buy the Lumix.
post #3 of 4 Old 11-30-2012, 11:35 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Appreciate it. Made the purchase!
post #4 of 4 Old 11-30-2012, 07:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 94