Rugged camcorder vs rugged camera for video - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 11 Old 12-02-2012, 03:14 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi,

I looking for a dust proof / water proof video camera for my wife. She is a horseback riding teacher so she is all day in the dust of the sand. She would like something good to take video of her riders while she give lessons.

Right now she has a an old stylus 790SW camera that does only 640x480/30fps videos.

The option I'm considering is:

get her a new camera that does video (like the Olympus TG1)

get her something more dedicated to video like the samsung w300 but sacrifice the optical zoom.

Get her the way more expensive sony HDR-GW77V with a good zoom, and quality but where she would have to be a little bit more careful because of the articulated screen.

Last to mention that she is not really technology friendly...

Any suggestion is welcome.

Thanks

JP
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 12-02-2012, 03:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 171 Post(s)
Liked: 138
You have found the correct options. These are all good choices, and you seem to understand the trade-offs.

The camcorders you mention all work fine in auto mode - turn on and just shoot and you have a good video, so there is no real learning curve unless you are shooting in difficult circumstances or going for creative shots.

The zoom on the GW77 might be useful if the riders are not close - the Samsung lens is really a wide-angle. The LCD screen is on a double hinge, so it is not easy to break - it just moves; plus it is sturdy and the cameras a whole is shock proof.

One other point - the Samsung does not have good stabilization, so you have to concentrate on holding it steady (it can be done). The optical stabilization with active mode on the GW77 is very good, and so you do not have to be that steady, plus you can actually walk while shooting. Less to worry about.
post #3 of 11 Old 12-02-2012, 03:51 PM - Thread Starter

I guess that eliminate the samsung, She is generally standing in the middle and has to "spin around" to follow the rider or even walk around. Also sometime the kids are handling her camera and they are not really sturdy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by markr041 View Post

One other point - the Samsung does not have good stabilization, so you have to concentrate on holding it steady (it can be done). The optical stabilization with active mode on the GW77 is very good, and so you do not have to be that steady, plus you can actually walk while shooting. Less to worry about.
post #4 of 11 Old 12-02-2012, 04:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked: 97
After a trip to Zion NP last spring my wife said she wanted more zoom. I gave her a Panasonic FZ150 for her birthday. She likes the pictures but it won't fit in her purse and feels "delicate". On her own, after weeks of study, she ordered a Panasonic Lumix TS4. It will be here tomorrow. I think it does 1920x1080p30 video in the rain and dust.

She kept asking for advice and ignored all of it!

Bill
post #5 of 11 Old 12-02-2012, 04:23 PM - Thread Starter

Would you guys say that the TG-1 or the TS4 video are at least in comparable quality as the Iphone 4or 5 ?

She is fine with my Iphone's videos quality so if those cameras are as good that is all she really need.
post #6 of 11 Old 12-02-2012, 04:26 PM - Thread Starter

Please let me know how the TS4 is for videos. Also how in the screen does in bright light outside.

thanks
Quote:
Originally Posted by bsprague View Post

After a trip to Zion NP last spring my wife said she wanted more zoom. I gave her a Panasonic FZ150 for her birthday. She likes the pictures but it won't fit in her purse and feels "delicate". On her own, after weeks of study, she ordered a Panasonic Lumix TS4. It will be here tomorrow. I think it does 1920x1080p30 video in the rain and dust.
She kept asking for advice and ignored all of it!
Bill
post #7 of 11 Old 12-02-2012, 04:37 PM
AVS Special Member

The TS4 video performance gets a very bad review from digitalcamerinfo.com: http://www.digitalcamerainfo.com/content/Panasonic-Lumix-DMC-TS4-Digital-Camera-Review/Video.htm

That same source indicates that the iPhone 4 is a much better camcorder than the TS4 and worse than the Samsung W200/200. But the stabilization of the iPhone is below standards of cameras and camcorders (not optical). Look elsewhere.

camcorderinfo.com and digitalcamerainfo.com are reliable sources for camera reviews.
post #8 of 11 Old 12-02-2012, 04:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by joboujp View Post

Please let me know how the TS4 is for videos. Also how in the screen does in bright light outside.
thanks
She may not let me touch it for a month or so! I don't have an iPhone either. On top of that, I'm near Seattle and we won't see bright light until around May.

Apparently the iPhone 5 has "Video formats supported: H.264 video up to 1080p, 30 frames per second." That matches the TS4 specs on Amazon.

Bill
post #9 of 11 Old 12-02-2012, 04:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Specs do not tell the whole story. Read the reviews about performance (not the whole story either, but they are pretty good indications).

The Sony TX20, another P&S that is waterproof, does better in video than either the Olympus or Panasonic "tuff" models (Sony P&S video is really good). All these cameras are substantially inferior in every dimension of video to the GW77.
post #10 of 11 Old 12-02-2012, 09:23 PM - Thread Starter

I'm sure now I will go with a P&S with video instead of the GW77. I would love it for me but for my wife it is just better to have something she can just take out and shoot and don't have to worry at all. Just have to decide which one.

Has someone seen the olympus in bright light ? We have bright light here most of the time (san diego) and I read the LED screen is better for that.

I just though that to test a tough camera they should give it to my wife. If it resist the riding school it will resist a lot. You should have seen the face of the ATT guy when he switch the sim card to her new rugged phone and hay and sand came out from underneath the battery.

Thank you all for you input !
post #11 of 11 Old 12-03-2012, 06:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by markr041 View Post

Specs do not tell the whole story. Read the reviews about performance (not the whole story either, but they are pretty good indications).
The Sony TX20, another P&S that is waterproof, does better in video than either the Olympus or Panasonic "tuff" models (Sony P&S video is really good). All these cameras are substantially inferior in every dimension of video to the GW77.
When my wife asked me for advice, the TX20 is the one I suggested! As I said, she ignored me.
Reply Camcorders

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page