Editing Frame Rates - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 12-07-2012, 07:27 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hey guys,

I've been editing seriously for about six months, using Final Cut Pro 7 and video captured mostly from my GoPro Hero2 in 720p60fps. I'm looking for smooth slow motion, and I haven't really taken any classes on HD editing, most of it has been learned on the fly. I'm just trying to get good adventure sports videos for Vimeo of whitewater canoeing.

I've been editing in a 60 frame timebase in Vimeo, matching the source files, and have been using the change speed tool to slow it down, but the end result is often blurred, and no where near as good as some of the videos I've seen elsewhere. I'm just wondering what time base I should be editing in, if you have any tips, and if there's a good manual perhaps tailored to adventure sports video editing.

Thanks, and here's an example of what I've been producing, there is some slow mo in the first two minute sequence

http://vimeo.com/54147864
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 12-08-2012, 02:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked: 97
Welcome to the forum!

Can you tell me more about what you mean by "I've been editing in a 60 frame timebase in Vimeo, matching the source files"

I think the standard drill is to do all the work in your NLE (final cut pro) then create or output a finished video file which is optimized for Vimeo. In the Vimeo help section there are videos tutorials for each brand of NLE to help get it right. Upload it and then Vimeo churns through that and puts it up for viewing.

If you don't match the Vimeo requirements, you will get some blurring.

Bill
post #3 of 6 Old 12-09-2012, 06:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Are individual frames sharp? If you slowing down to 30p, then you can have 0.5 true slo-mo. Anything slower will involve interpolated frames. Target frame rate must be 1/2^n of original frame rate, n e N to avoid blurred frames.
post #4 of 6 Old 12-10-2012, 11:36 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
What I mean by that is that my source video clips are 720p/60fps, so when I set the sequence settings for Final Cut, I set the frame rate as 60fps. I could set it at 30 and achieve that 50% true slow mo, but what would I do with the shots that I want to play at regular speed? I'm using MPEG streamclip to get the clips to import to Final Cut, and I can manipulate the source file frame rate there.

All I'm looking to do is get the highest quality videos without going to that next level in expense for something like Twixator
post #5 of 6 Old 12-10-2012, 12:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked: 97
Quote:
Originally Posted by CheeksOC1 View Post

What I mean by that is that my source video clips are 720p/60fps, so when I set the sequence settings for Final Cut, I set the frame rate as 60fps. I could set it at 30 and achieve that 50% true slow mo, but what would I do with the shots that I want to play at regular speed? I'm using MPEG streamclip to get the clips to import to Final Cut, and I can manipulate the source file frame rate there.
All I'm looking to do is get the highest quality videos without going to that next level in expense for something like Twixator
I can't help with FCP or Twixator.

I've read that GoPro has some great slow motion software that comes with the camera. And I've had good results with Premier Elements 11, which comes with a "time stretch tool" that I've had fine results with the few times I've tried it. There are also some good Vimeo output presets.

You can download a free 30 day trial and see if it works for you.

A short tutorial on time remapping: http://tv.adobe.com/watch/adobe-digital-school-collection/time-remapping-with-adobe-premiere-elements-11/

And a collection of other tutorials and demos here: http://tv.adobe.com/product/premiere-express/

Bill
post #6 of 6 Old 12-10-2012, 08:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by CheeksOC1 View Post

What I mean by that is that my source video clips are 720p/60fps, so when I set the sequence settings for Final Cut, I set the frame rate as 60fps. I could set it at 30 and achieve that 50% true slow mo, but what would I do with the shots that I want to play at regular speed?
If you edit at 30p, then time-stretch 60p to 0.5x speed and re-conform 60p to 30p, any decent editor would throw out every other frame. If you edit at 60p, then time-stretch 60p to 0.5x speed, any decent editor will create double frames or maybe will create some interpolated ones, depending on editor.

I don't know about FCP, Vegas has no issues with stuff like that. If you stretch/shrink in multiples of 2 it doubles frames or removes every other one, if it cannot fit resulting frames into target frame rate then it blends frames, and in this case the resulting video starts looking blurry.
Reply Camcorders

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page