Canon HF M500 video conversion help? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 16 Old 12-23-2012, 05:45 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
So I just got my Canon HF M500 a few days ago and I love it.

I am trying to convert this video with handbrake, I recorded it at XP+ I believe 12mbps and 60i framerate. To my knowledge it was recording in 1920x1080 but On my computer, mediainfo says its 1440x1080, but it still plays at a 16:9 ratio cause it fills my entire monitor.... how the hell does that work out?
ALSO mediainfo says the framerate is 30p and I thought it should be 60i?

So uh, what I want to know is how should I go about converting these things? I just want to make sure however many horizontal lines I decide to give it it will still show at a 16:9 ratio and completely fill my monitor.
And then the framerate thing, little confused on that as well...

Help is appreciated biggrin.gif
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 12-23-2012, 07:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 32
You used the third best recording format which might have been 1440x1080. FXP and the better MXP are 1920x1080. Unless you really, really need the extra space, you should stick with MXP no matter what for the best video quality possible.

Here's the site that I'm reading off.
http://www.usa.canon.com/cusa/consumer/products/camcorders/consumer_camcorders/vixia_hf_m500#Specifications

I'm not sure if it'll make much difference exporting that file to eighter 1440 or 1920 but for future shootings in which you use the higher video settings, you should export to 1920.
post #3 of 16 Old 12-23-2012, 08:42 PM - Thread Starter

Weird, ok good to know though. I still don't understand though how its not a 16:9 resolution yet it shows as 16:9 on my TV...
post #4 of 16 Old 12-23-2012, 08:50 PM
AVS Special Member

The TV is basically "stretching" the 1440 resolution to fit the 1920 width. That might not be the best word to use but you get the idea.
post #5 of 16 Old 12-23-2012, 08:50 PM
AVS Special Member

OK, my post decided to show up twice.
post #6 of 16 Old 12-23-2012, 08:51 PM - Thread Starter

AHHH ok so now I recorded in FXP and mediainfo does say its 1920x1080 now! biggrin.gif But It still says the framerate is 30 when I recorded it at 60 and I don't get that...
post #7 of 16 Old 12-23-2012, 08:53 PM - Thread Starter

I am guessing it has something to do with me recording it interlaced? Because that would be the framerate if it was converted to progressive right?
post #8 of 16 Old 12-23-2012, 08:55 PM
AVS Special Member

It's basically 30 full frames a second. 60i is 60 interlaced frames a second. Basically the odd lines in 1 scan and the even lines in the other scan.
post #9 of 16 Old 12-23-2012, 08:59 PM - Thread Starter

What is the point of that then... I mean, on the camera for framerates I can choose 24p, 30p, or 60i. If 60i and 30p are BASICALLY the same thing (and I believe 30 is even recorded in 60i and just converted to 30p right?) then why do they even have that confused.gif
post #10 of 16 Old 12-23-2012, 09:04 PM
AVS Special Member

It makes it even more confusing knowing that it's 60 different half pictures a second. Anyway, the interlaced recording method was made to match the older TVs. Now that the new TVs are all progressive, 60i will start to fade away.
post #11 of 16 Old 12-23-2012, 09:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhcpepper View Post

So I just got my Canon HF M500 a few days ago and I love it. I am trying to convert this video with handbrake, I recorded it at XP+ I believe 12mbps and 60i framerate. To my knowledge it was recording in 1920x1080 but On my computer, mediainfo says its 1440x1080, but it still plays at a 16:9 ratio cause it fills my entire monitor.... how the hell does that work out?
ALSO mediainfo says the framerate is 30p and I thought it should be 60i?
1) 1440x1080 uses non-square pixels, like most video formats before 1280x720 and 1920x1080 came along. For example both 4:3 and widescreen DVD movies have the same frame size in pixels: 720x480 (sometimes 704x480). The difference is in pixel aspect ratio (PAR).

2) I don't think MediaInfo says 30p for the Canon output, it likely says "Frame rate: 29.97 fps", and then in scanning method it says "interlaced".
Quote:

So uh, what I want to know is how should I go about converting these things? I just want to make sure however many horizontal lines I decide to give it it will still show at a 16:9 ratio and completely fill my monitor.
It is 16:9 display aspect ratio (DAR), but can have different PARs.
Quote:

And then the framerate thing, little confused on that as well.
Depends what you want to do with it. If you want to put it on YouTube then you need to deinterlace interlaced video either into 60p or into 30p. Depending on deinterlacing method you will get different results.
Quote:

What is the point of that then... I mean, on the camera for framerates I can choose 24p, 30p, or 60i. If 60i and 30p are BASICALLY the same thing (and I believe 30 is even recorded in 60i and just converted to 30p right?) then why do they even have that confused.gif
30i and 60i are the same thing, just different notation. One is frame-based (30 frames per second, interlaced) another is field-based (60 fields per second). The result is the same. Also, "30" usually means "29.97" or even "30 * 1000 / 1001".

30i (or 60i, whatever you prefer) records 60 different images per second. 30p, on the other hand, records 30 different images per second. To confuse you more, Canon camcorders record 30p within 30i stream, this is called progressive segmented frame (search Wikipedia). Don't even get me started on PF24.

For smooth motion, for viewing on DVD and Blu-ray use interlaced, because Canon camcorders cannot do 60p.
For primarily YouTube videos use PF30 because it is easier to edit and offers full vertical resolution. But motion will be less smooth.
post #12 of 16 Old 12-23-2012, 10:38 PM - Thread Starter

Oh wow, thank you for clarifying smile.gif And yes, I know the framerate is 29.97 I just felt like 30 was easier to type lol. And I kinda need this particular video to be 60fps because I plan on slowing it down. What is the best program to do this and what deinterlacing method should I use?
post #13 of 16 Old 12-24-2012, 09:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 93
Quote:

Oh wow, thank you for clarifying smile.gif And yes, I know the framerate is 29.97 I just felt like 30 was easier to type lol. And I kinda need this particular video to be 60fps because I plan on slowing it down. What is the best program to do this and what deinterlacing method should I use?
I don't think you will get what you want without buying a Non Linear Editor or "NLE". The favorites seem to be made by Apple, Sony and Adobe but there are around 30 on the market and prices range widely. Both Sony and Adobe make a "pro" version and "consumer" version for much less money.

The newest version 11 of Adobe Premier Elements has a new feature they call "Time Remapping" as well as the old "Time Stretch" tool. You can read about it here: http://helpx.adobe.com/premiere-elements/using/whats-new.html#id_30446

I got a little bit lucky with a Hawk a couple days ago. I was not lucky enough to have the best camcorder handy, so I shot with a Sony point-n-shoot set beyond it's best zoom capability. The resulting video is fuzzy from the excessive zoom, but I got something I liked.

For an example of what the new Time Remapping does, Ignore that it is fuzzy and watch the bird preparing to take off at around 1:04 . By 1:11 the bird is air born. I copied that section as an instant replay and used the "Time Remapping" tool on the replay to increase the play back to about 48 seconds at 1:14, or about a 7x slowdown.

The first version is silent: https://vimeo.com/56171499

I adjusted the contrast a little and added music for the second version: https://vimeo.com/56173164

(Please don't tell me it is fuzzy. The Hawk did not wait for me to get a better camera!)

In many other posts Ungerman has been helping me try to understand frames, fields, pull down, interlacing, deinterlacing, etc. I may never fully understand it. Software like Premier Elements goes a long way towards keeping you from having to connect all those dots. The two Vimeos were started in an AVCHD format,were massaged,then tweaked to Vimeo specifications and uploaded without leaving the program.

If you want software for slow motion, download the 30 day trial of Premier Elements 11 and try it.

Bill
post #14 of 16 Old 12-24-2012, 01:57 PM - Thread Starter

Hmm, well its not so much the video editing I am concerned about, because I figured if its 60fps I can simply just slow it down 1/2 - 1/3 speed without anything super fancy and it wont be too choppy (basically just "convert" it to 30-20fps?) I guess mostly what I want to know is what the best way to deinterlace it from 60i to 60p.

Handbrake lets me deinterlace but for the options all they have is fast, slow, slowest and custom which I would have to type things in and I have NO idea how to do that. I can also set the framerate when I convert too... I am guessing this isn't the best program for what I am asking though?

I am also trying to keep this free, I am still in highschool with no job and I don't like begging my parents for unnecessary stuff soo... tongue.gif
post #15 of 16 Old 12-24-2012, 03:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 93
If you are on a PC, try this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Es1WICFrIw. If you are on a Mac, try this: http://www.maclife.com/article/howtos/how_create_slow_motion_videos_imovie

Both are free.

Bill
post #16 of 16 Old 12-24-2012, 04:33 PM - Thread Starter

I already have some bare bones video editing software that can change the speed of videos.

But the deinterlacing, I am wanting to know what method and software I should use to get from 60i to 60p. I am wanting something like a converter, you know like handbrake. Import the clips, choose the settings, convert the clips. The important thing for me is keeping the 60fps I guess, because on my camcorder watching the videos there is a really noticeable difference in smoothness from 60i to 30p and if I slow it down to 1/4 speed, 60fps would stretch to 15fps but 30fps would stretch to less than 8fps!!

I am starting to feel like I am in the wrong place to ask all this since my question are about software now and not the camcorder lol tongue.gif
Reply Camcorders

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page