The Panasonic LX7 as a Video Camera Thread - Page 4 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #91 of 132 Old 03-27-2013, 07:57 PM
Advanced Member
 
thedest's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 618
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 24
come one bill!! you are watching my suffering owning both cameras and not helping me!!!

can you PLEASE do a comparison video in low light using both cameras at the same time? PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE
thedest is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #92 of 132 Old 03-27-2013, 08:17 PM
Advanced Member
 
thedest's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 618
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 24
http://www.camcorderinfo.com/content/Panasonic-GX1-DSLR-Camera-Review.htm

yeah... so the GX1 is out of the game
thedest is offline  
post #93 of 132 Old 03-27-2013, 08:44 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Paulo Teixeira's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 2,710
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:
The GX1 earned a respectable score in our motion test, thanks in large part to its 1080/60p resolution. Still we did spot some trailing and a bit of stuttering on the train in our test scene, and some artifacting in the spinning color wheels. See our full motion performance review, including video clips.

I guess they didn't realize that the chip can only output 30p, not 60p at least according to Panasonic's GX1's specs online.
http://panasonic.net/avc/lumix/systemcamera/gms/gx1/specifications.html
Paulo Teixeira is offline  
post #94 of 132 Old 03-28-2013, 07:41 AM
AVS Special Member
 
bsprague's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: On the Road
Posts: 2,981
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked: 97
Quote:
Originally Posted by thedest View Post

come on bill!! you are watching my suffering owning both cameras and not helping me!!!

can you PLEASE do a comparison video in low light using both cameras at the same time? PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE
I wish I could, but I can't.

The reason both cameras are in the family is because the wonderful women I married in 1968 and I do not, under any circumstances, share electronics. The LX7 is her's. She picked it out and bought it. She takes .jpg pictures. Her LX7 will never have it's video button pressed or be set for RAW.

On top of that, I'm the wrong one to do a "low light test". I don't know what "low light" is and wouldn't know how dark it has to be. In my experience all three of the cameras I own will record anything I can actually see. If I can't see it, I'll shine enough light on it so I can see it. Then I shoot the clip. My guess is that I could stay up all night looking for "low light", shoot video and find out that I couldn't see enough difference between the clips from the two cameras to count.

If your purpose is to shoot video, buy the LX7. The RX100 is not my favorite video camera. With the LX7 you can even get a viewfinder and spend about the same as an RX100. The only reason to get the RX100 is if you want to shoot photos for large prints and carry it in your pocket.

Test the LX7 hard for a couple weeks. If it does not do what you want, exercise your return privilege. My wife bought a small Sony from B&H. It "did not feel good" in her hands. B&H took it back with no hesitation. Then she bought the LX7 the next day from them.

Bill
bsprague is offline  
post #95 of 132 Old 03-28-2013, 07:57 AM
AVS Special Member
 
bsprague's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: On the Road
Posts: 2,981
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked: 97
Quote:
Originally Posted by thedest View Post

and my search continues. NO ONE in the hole freaking internet knows wich one is better at low light.
NO ONE on the whole internet has a definition of what "low light" actually is.
bsprague is offline  
post #96 of 132 Old 03-29-2013, 08:59 AM
AVS Special Member
 
xfws's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 1,459
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Mark... I downloaded your Union Square video from Vimeo. The 60p quality is more apparent than online - but I am seeing a lot of moire and aliasing.

I would think this may be a monitor issue, but I'm not seeing it on GH2 footage/although I don't shoot in 60p with GH2.

Are you seeing this and is there a fix?
xfws is offline  
post #97 of 132 Old 03-29-2013, 11:42 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
markr041's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 3,227
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Liked: 136
Quote:
Originally Posted by xfws View Post

Mark... I downloaded your Union Square video from Vimeo. The 60p quality is more apparent than online - but I am seeing a lot of moire and aliasing.

I would think this may be a monitor issue, but I'm not seeing it on GH2 footage/although I don't shoot in 60p with GH2.

Are you seeing this and is there a fix?

In principle, the GH2 should have more moire and aliasing than a small sensor camera, and I have not noticed this artifacting with the LX7 videos. What scenes in particular do you see it, so I can look more closely. You can turn down the 'sharpness', so if this is the result of over-sharpening there is a control (I have sharpening set to the default zero; it can be reduced to -2).
markr041 is online now  
post #98 of 132 Old 03-29-2013, 12:10 PM
AVS Special Member
 
xfws's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 1,459
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by markr041 View Post

In principle, the GH2 should have more moire and aliasing than a small sensor camera, and I have not noticed this artifacting with the LX7 videos. What scenes in particular do you see it, so I can look more closely. You can turn down the 'sharpness', so if this is the result of over-sharpening there is a control (I have sharpening set to the default zero; it can be reduced to -2).

(from the file)

Artifacts in the purple flowers @ 00:11.

At 3:07, the top-left under the red word "pet" has like a grate/window with moire. I know that's minor, but I'm seeing that kind of general shimmering around edges in the whole shot...but the closer shot right after that (still with the man in brown coat) @ 3:13 doesn't have that.

The shots of the yarn @ 3:39 have moire..but that's probably hard to avoid with any camera with that shot.

There are definitely many shots that don't have any artifacts, especially close-up shots like the lobsters and the pot. Perhaps the longer shots are somehow more vulnerable to picking up on things that may exhibit patterns(?)

I should add that this came about when I wanted to see how well the files would take to effects and Magic Bullet in Vegas and this became more pronounced with certain coloring. It may not be something inherent to the footage, it could have something to do with my card, display, etc...
xfws is offline  
post #99 of 132 Old 03-29-2013, 12:36 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
markr041's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 3,227
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Liked: 136
Yes, I have seen some shimmering around edges, though not always. This can be due to over-sharpening (which the GH2 does also). Perhaps some tests with sharpness turned down would be informative. Also, there is an iRes function that supposedly sharpens along lines. I am not sure whether I have that setting on. Thanks for looking at this. I will do more checking
markr041 is online now  
post #100 of 132 Old 04-08-2013, 05:49 PM
AVS Special Member
 
xfws's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 1,459
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Mark.. would you mind if I posted a minute and a half of your Union Square footage with Magic Bullet effect added?

There's no audio and I can make it unlisted on YouTube. I would probably delete it after awhile.
xfws is offline  
post #101 of 132 Old 04-08-2013, 05:52 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
markr041's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 3,227
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Liked: 136
Quote:
Originally Posted by xfws View Post

Mark.. would you mind if I posted a minute and a half of your Union Square footage with Magic Bullet effect added?

There's no audio and I can make it unlisted on YouTube. I would probably delete it after awhile.

No problem at all. I am interested too.
markr041 is online now  
post #102 of 132 Old 04-08-2013, 06:15 PM
AVS Special Member
 
xfws's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 1,459
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Great, thanks. The AVS video tags wouldn't work, so here is the link (no audio/unlisted):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=de7dl5dJ7Kg&feature=youtu.be


This is kind of an extreme example with the preset I chose: "Movie Star". I changed the Vegas properties to 30p and rendered to 30p. Brightness/contrast, saturation adjust, and sharpening also added.

Sometimes the people are dark, as it highlights the center. At least it's possible to get a "movie look" with LX7 footage, although it needs to be tweaked.

Of course, other presets possible.
xfws is offline  
post #103 of 132 Old 04-08-2013, 06:44 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
markr041's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 3,227
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Liked: 136
Interesting "look". I tried embedding it, and it worked:

markr041 is online now  
post #104 of 132 Old 04-09-2013, 05:47 AM
AVS Special Member
 
xfws's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 1,459
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by markr041 View Post

Interesting "look". I tried embedding it, and it worked:

Thanks, I embedded it wrong.

Here is one more video, different looks on the same, small clip. This time I didn't add any bright/contrast, sharp, etc.

Project properties 30p/rendered to 30p (no audio/unlisted):

xfws is offline  
post #105 of 132 Old 04-09-2013, 06:24 AM
AVS Special Member
 
xfws's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 1,459
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Mark, I also wanted to ask...when you remove the thread protector and put on a 37mm protector filter, does it have to be that Panasonic one or can you put on any brand?

I understand it usually doesn't matter - just wondering if that is somehow proprietary.
xfws is offline  
post #106 of 132 Old 04-09-2013, 07:50 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
markr041's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 3,227
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Liked: 136
Quote:
Originally Posted by xfws View Post

Mark, I also wanted to ask...when you remove the thread protector and put on a 37mm protector filter, does it have to be that Panasonic one or can you put on any brand?

I understand it usually doesn't matter - just wondering if that is somehow proprietary.

It is a standard 37mm thread, so any filter brand will do. For a circular polarizer, you need to get a thin one so there is no vignetting (Panasonic makes a thin one specifically for this - but it is still a standard 37mm thread.
markr041 is online now  
post #107 of 132 Old 04-09-2013, 08:36 AM
AVS Special Member
 
xfws's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 1,459
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by markr041 View Post

It is a standard 37mm thread, so any filter brand will do. For a circular polarizer, you need to get a thin one so there is no vignetting (Panasonic makes a thin one specifically for this - but it is still a standard 37mm thread.

Great, thanks again.
xfws is offline  
post #108 of 132 Old 05-14-2013, 11:32 AM
Newbie
 
vg123's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 1
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I recently purchased the lx7 mainly for video and I love it. However, there is one quirk and I'm not sure if I have a bad camera or whether it is by design. Can someone confirm?
When recording in creative movie mode with AF set to single area, a half shutter press does not refocus. Strangely, this function does work when recording is initiated with the red movie button. I don't use the red button though because I want manual exposure control for videos. This is something I use often in my Panasonic GH3, and I was expecting the same behavior in the lx7. It is a little disappointing, but I can live with it because there are so many great things about the lx7 - especially for under 300USD.
vg123 is offline  
post #109 of 132 Old 05-28-2013, 09:27 AM
Member
 
83trekker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 143
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Guys just got this camera, and i a noob when comes to all the settings and such,

But can i do slow motion video with this camera? I rember seeing it some where but cant find it in the camera.

Also where in the camera do you pick jpeg or raw for the pictures you take?

Thanks
83trekker is offline  
post #110 of 132 Old 05-28-2013, 10:06 AM
AVS Special Member
 
bsprague's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: On the Road
Posts: 2,981
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked: 97
Quote:
Originally Posted by 83trekker View Post

Guys just got this camera, and i a noob when comes to all the settings and such,

But can i do slow motion video with this camera? I rember seeing it some where but cant find it in the camera.

Also where in the camera do you pick jpeg or raw for the pictures you take?

Thanks



RAW, see Page 36 here: http://service.us.panasonic.com/OPERMANPDF/DMCLX7_ADV.PDF

Page 89 for the "slow motion" which is really called "high speed video"
bsprague is offline  
post #111 of 132 Old 05-28-2013, 10:13 AM
Member
 
83trekker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 143
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by bsprague View Post

RAW, see Page 36 here: http://service.us.panasonic.com/OPERMANPDF/DMCLX7_ADV.PDF

Page 89 for the "slow motion" which is really called "high speed video"
Thanks just figured out the high speed is actually slow speed on playback.

I didnt see anything about RAW on page 36 though? Is this something you select in a menu or does it make a raw and jpeg of every pic you take?
83trekker is offline  
post #112 of 132 Old 05-28-2013, 10:48 AM
AVS Special Member
 
bsprague's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: On the Road
Posts: 2,981
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked: 97
Sorry, that was page 136.

My strong suggestion is that you read, or at least scan the entire manual. You have a very complicated and capable camera, but if you don't read the book you won't know all it can do.

Unless you have a Mac, you deserve to put the Panasonic software that came with your camera on your computer. It will enhance what you can do with your "slow mo" video.

If you did not know it, an online manual like that can be searched. Do a Ctrl+F and type in "RAW". You can also click a line in the table of contents and go to the subject.

If you have any kind of smart phone, tablet or computer you can load that manual. My wife has here camera manuals in her Kindle readers. (Yes, she has two! One in color and one in B&W!)

Bill
bsprague is offline  
post #113 of 132 Old 05-28-2013, 12:22 PM
Member
 
83trekker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 143
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by bsprague View Post

Sorry, that was page 136.

My strong suggestion is that you read, or at least scan the entire manual. You have a very complicated and capable camera, but if you don't read the book you won't know all it can do.

Unless you have a Mac, you deserve to put the Panasonic software that came with your camera on your computer. It will enhance what you can do with your "slow mo" video.

If you did not know it, an online manual like that can be searched. Do a Ctrl+F and type in "RAW". You can also click a line in the table of contents and go to the subject.

If you have any kind of smart phone, tablet or computer you can load that manual. My wife has here camera manuals in her Kindle readers. (Yes, she has two! One in color and one in B&W!)

Bill

Yhea i have been reading it for a couple days, but some of it just goes over my head, like wow, what a amazing camera but complicated. I think for now will be doing auto mode plus for the a while.

I have read page 136 before but i cannot find it in the camera to change it. All i found is quality of the picture which i have picked the highest setting but cant find this compression rate like it shows on the page.
83trekker is offline  
post #114 of 132 Old 05-28-2013, 12:44 PM
AVS Special Member
 
bsprague's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: On the Road
Posts: 2,981
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked: 97
Quote:
Originally Posted by 83trekker View Post

I have read page 136 before but i cannot find it in the camera to change it. All i found is quality of the picture which i have picked the highest setting but cant find this compression rate like it shows on the page.
Try reviewing how to operate the menu on about page 25.
bsprague is offline  
post #115 of 132 Old 06-02-2013, 08:51 PM
Member
 
83trekker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 143
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
OK I have another one for you al, I have made a bunch of settings in P mode and saved it in Custom 1. Well once in Custom 1 I cant get the flash to work, I have it set for ato with red eye reduction, then I tried force flash with the flash open in a completely dark room and no flash.. Just shows a no flash icon on the top, don't get it???????
83trekker is offline  
post #116 of 132 Old 06-03-2013, 04:56 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
markr041's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 3,227
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Liked: 136
Quote:
Originally Posted by 83trekker View Post

OK I have another one for you al, I have made a bunch of settings in P mode and saved it in Custom 1. Well once in Custom 1 I cant get the flash to work, I have it set for ato with red eye reduction, then I tried force flash with the flash open in a completely dark room and no flash.. Just shows a no flash icon on the top, don't get it???????

Since this is a video forum, few of us can be expected to be experts on flash.
markr041 is online now  
post #117 of 132 Old 06-12-2013, 11:33 AM
Member
 
pjc3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 69
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi Chaps,

some advice If possible.

The LX7 is going to be used to record the full width stage angle for an upcoming concert. It will be about 50m away from the stage with (almost) full zoom at a guess. Daytime performance so some ambient light but obviously the stage will be well lit.

I don't have prior access to the venue for light testing. What would be best manual settings or should I stick with full Automatic? I was intending to have manual focus to stop any focus issues with lighting changes.

Thanks for any advice.
pjc3 is offline  
post #118 of 132 Old 06-18-2013, 06:18 PM
Newbie
 
Nosh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 3
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi pjc3,

Given the nature of a daytime concert, I would go with the manual settings. ISO 80, Shutter speed 100 (for pal version shooting 50p) or 120 (for ntsc version shooting 60p), Aperture anywhere upwards of 2.8 as required, ND if required. Manual focus is probably the way to go as well, otherwise the focus may hunt around if the subject moves from the focus point. Obviously if the day is overcast, overly dark, overly bright etc. and you need more/less light, adjust the Aperture, ND and ISO, but try to leave the Shutter speed alone. Also set the WB to cloudy to give a slightly warmer tone as I find the Auto WB tends to have a blueish cast, or better still use the Kelvin scale to set WB.

It is a great little camera for video, but I would suggest some sort of external recorder for sound, if sound is important and synching up in post.

Hope that helps. You can see some of my LX7 videos here: https://vimeo.com/68305370 and here: https://vimeo.com/66503192

Cheers.
Nosh is offline  
post #119 of 132 Old 06-20-2013, 01:01 PM
Member
 
pjc3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 69
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thanks Nosh for the time to reply. Appreciate it.
pjc3 is offline  
post #120 of 132 Old 06-20-2013, 01:22 PM
AVS Special Member
 
bsprague's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: On the Road
Posts: 2,981
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked: 97
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nosh View Post

Hope that helps. You can see some of my LX7 videos here: https://vimeo.com/68305370 and here: https://vimeo.com/66503192

Nosh,

Who did the music track on the Nan Tien video? It is perfect for you excellent video.
bsprague is offline  
Reply Camcorders

User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off