Does everybody know how to upload HD videos to YouTube in original .m2ts format? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 01-02-2013, 12:25 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I just now figured out how to upload videos taken on my Panasonic TM900 to YouTube in their original HD .m2ts format and quality. I am able to do this using Internet Explorer. I am also able to edit and combine individual video segments and still keep them in their pristine original quality using Panasonic's HD Writer software before posting to YouTube. I was just wondering if everybody knows that is possible. The reason I am starting this thread is that I tried so hard when I first got the camcorder to post in original format using Mozilla Firefox and simply couldn't ever do it, so I was really surprised to find out I could do it using Internet Explorer which I generally don't like nearly as much. The quality of the videos in their original format is much higher than that of the ones I converted using iSkysoft Video Converter even though I was supposedly converting them to another HD format (.wmv HD) and the file sizes didn't shrink. Am really curious whether it is/was common knowledge that there is no need to convert Panasonic HD video into any "YouTube approved" format before uploading them.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 01-02-2013, 01:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 196 Post(s)
Liked: 143
All the videos I upload to Youtube or Vimeo (with a few exceptions when I want to add titles or effects) are original quality .mts files from any camera/camcorder I own, including the TM900. I have never understood why people bother converting.

The point is no matter what you do to your video clips, Youtube is going to convert them anyway. The higher the original quality (not recompressed), the higher will be the Youtube quality.

So, what you are doing is fine. Saves you wasting time converting video on your computer. Uploading will take more time, but unless your isp charges by the MB, that is of no consequence.

One exception might be that Youtube always converts 60fps video to 30fps video, and I am not sure they do that well (resampling rather than just dropping every other frame).
post #3 of 6 Old 01-02-2013, 01:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 118 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by markr041 View Post

Youtube always converts 60fps video to 30fps video, and I am not sure they do that well (resampling rather than just dropping every other frame).
YouTube converts video into average frame rate of 30 fps if video image rate is 30 or higher. YouTube uses variable frame rate (VFR), and if you turn video properties window on, you can see actual frame rate. I saw it from about 10fps all the way to 55fps on my 60 fps content. YouTube tries to increase frame rate if it senses that the scene has lots of motion. How well they do it is another question.
post #4 of 6 Old 01-02-2013, 03:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 196 Post(s)
Liked: 143
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ungermann View Post

YouTube converts video into average frame rate of 30 fps if video image rate is 30 or higher. YouTube uses variable frame rate (VFR), and if you turn video properties window on, you can see actual frame rate. I saw it from about 10fps all the way to 55fps on my 60 fps content. YouTube tries to increase frame rate if it senses that the scene has lots of motion. How well they do it is another question.

So then there is ceratinly no need to reduce the frame rate from 60p video uploaded to Youtube.
post #5 of 6 Old 01-02-2013, 04:44 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Does YouTube convert things to 30p or 30fps or is that the same thing? And, I'm sure this is a totally newbie question, but what does "resample" mean in the context of videos, and does that mean that a 60p video will end up looking better on YouTube than a 60i video? Also, I still don't understand how I can upload in original format through Explorer but can't through Firefox? I'm just really curious about why that is. I'm also still really curious as to why I can't upload anything using the "online sharing" function in HD Writer, but instead have to pick up the video from its hard drive location and "open" it from there to upload it. Again, I just don't understand why I can't get the "online sharing" function to work, and wonder if anyone has gotten it to work.

The fact that that function did not work is one of the biggest reasons I thought I needed to get a video converter in the first place, which makes me wonder if a lot of people could be saving money and uploading higher quality videos by not buying video converters if they only knew how to do what I just figured out. This makes me think back to when I first got the TM900 and was emailing people who said they had posted in original format and never did get a straight answer from anyone as to exactly "how" they managed to do it. So, do you use the method I'm describing or are there other ways to accomplish the same thing? I'm seriously thinking about posting my own video about my process because there does not seem to be anywhere a detailed step-by-step explanation of exactly "how" people are uploading in .m2ts or .mts formats.
post #6 of 6 Old 01-02-2013, 06:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 118 Post(s)
Liked: 29
HD Writer is a very basic importing/cataloging/editing tool. It is slow, buggy, works only with original media, requires full file structure to be present. In short I hate it. Tried using it just for kicks but it drives me crazy. Its only good thing is non-destructive editing if only straight cuts are used. Oh, and clean file joining without audio hiccups.
Reply Camcorders