Does Anyone Know The CAMCORDER Brand/Type Used In This VIDEO? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 22 Old 01-04-2013, 03:17 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10

(START AT 6:05)

Could this video footage have been shot using a SONY HC32???

I'm looking for a camcorder that will bring out the same orange/gold skin tones, those warm 80s/90s saturated colors, slightly soft focus - It would also be nice to find a camcorder that's digital friendly so I can upload video clips onto my Mac for Final Cut Pro editing.

THIS is test footage of a SONY HC32, which has similar vibrant colors in comparison to the 1st video.

ANY SUGGESTIONS on what type/model of camcorders can produce footage with saturated colors/quality like the 1st video?

THANKS!!!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 Old 01-04-2013, 09:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 116 Post(s)
Liked: 98
Welcome to the forum.

What is your budget for a camcorder? With that, you should get some suggestions from this group.

I doubt you can find a current consumer camcorder that is not digitally compatible with the current version of Final Cut Pro. You may also find that the color hue you are looking for might now be considered an "effect" applied during editing in software like final cut pro.

The good news is that there are lots of camcorders and cameras now that shoot wonderfully high picture quality as well as a wide choice of editing software.

Good luck.

Bill
post #3 of 22 Old 01-04-2013, 10:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked: 29
"Does Anyone Know The CAMCORDER Brand/Type Used In This VIDEO?" - This is one of the worst questions one can ask about camcorders or photo cameras, as if the same equipment guarantees the same results.
post #4 of 22 Old 01-04-2013, 12:26 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsprague View Post

Welcome to the forum.
What is your budget for a camcorder? With that, you should get some suggestions from this group.
I doubt you can find a current consumer camcorder that is not digitally compatible with the current version of Final Cut Pro. You may also find that the color hue you are looking for might now be considered an "effect" applied during editing in software like final cut pro.
The good news is that there are lots of camcorders and cameras now that shoot wonderfully high picture quality as well as a wide choice of editing software.
Good luck.
Bill

Hey Bill,

Thanks for the warm welcome. I do understand that Final Cut has many versatile features as far as post production goes. I have also overseen projects that used high-end Hollywood standard post-production/compositing systems such as Flame and Nuke, and yet none of these systems really come close to the real thing. It's sort of like trying to remake the look of Kodachrome 40K 8mm film shot with a Super 8 camera with filters - it's just not as good.

I want to stay under the $500 range, and I've actually found very cheap SONY HC32 camcorders on ebay, some going for less than $50. If the 2nd video on my original post is accurate to the SONY HC32 in terms of color and playback quality, then I'm quite satisfied.

But I would really appreciate some help on finding out which older camcorder model would've been able to shoot the 1st video in 2004.

Thanks!
post #5 of 22 Old 01-04-2013, 12:31 PM - Thread Starter

It's an honest and valid question. I've done my research pointing to the SONY HC32 as the closest I could find. I was hoping to interact with some real knowledgeable people on this forum who'd actually know about camcorders. And yes, it is possible to give suggestions of camcorder models based on footage or screen grabs if you worked extensively with various equipment.
post #6 of 22 Old 01-04-2013, 12:32 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ungermann View Post

"Does Anyone Know The CAMCORDER Brand/Type Used In This VIDEO?" - This is one of the worst questions one can ask about camcorders or photo cameras, as if the same equipment guarantees the same results.

It's an honest and valid question. I've done my research pointing to the SONY HC32 as the closest I could find. I was hoping to interact with some real knowledgeable people on this forum who'd actually know about camcorders. And yes, it is possible to give suggestions of camcorder models based on footage or screen grabs if you worked extensively with various equipment.
post #7 of 22 Old 01-04-2013, 02:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Langit View Post

Quote:

Your question would make sense if the video you gave as an example was special in some way, like shallow depth of field or wide dynamic range, but it is not. Any camcorder can shoot a video like this. There is absolutely nothing special about the DCR-HC32 either. It is an outdated MiniDV camcorder with a single tiny sensor, so you get deep DOF, low resolution and interlaced recording. Any modern camcorder can do better.

Depth of field is hard to fake in post, but colors can be edited pretty much any way you like.

Also, all modern camcorders (and by modern I mean starting from 1995) are digital.
post #8 of 22 Old 01-04-2013, 02:39 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Your question would make sense if the video you gave as an example was special in some way, like shallow depth of field or wide dynamic range, but it is not. Any camcorder can shoot a video like this. There is absolutely nothing special about the DCR-HC32 either. It is an outdated MiniDV camcorder with a single tiny sensor, so you get deep DOF, low resolution and interlaced recording. Any modern camcorder can do better.
Depth of field is hard to fake in post, but colors can be edited pretty much any way you like.
Also, all modern camcorders (and by modern I mean starting from 1995) are digital.

I am not necessarily going for a "better" look, but for this specific project I'd like to get an approximation or as close to the video footage quality as the first video. You said any modern camcorder can do this... does a Flip HD count? It certainly takes sharp digital videos, but they don't have the same buttery image quality and saturated colors as the video in question.

So if you could please give a few suggestions, or a list of some new affordable camcorder models that would do the job I'd be most grateful.
post #9 of 22 Old 01-04-2013, 02:47 PM
AVS Special Member

CMOS-based cameras without image stabilization produce ugly "jello". Also, pocket cams like Flip often have no manual controls whatsoever. Aside of that, blurring a sharp image is much easier then sharpening it up. You are going to edit in anyway, so blur away.
post #10 of 22 Old 01-04-2013, 02:51 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

CMOS-based cameras without image stabilization produce ugly "jello". Also, pocket cams like Flip often have no manual controls whatsoever. Aside of that, blurring a sharp image is much easier then sharpening it up. You are going to edit in anyway, so blur away.

What currently available camcorder model could you suggest that would give the same result as the video footage example?
post #11 of 22 Old 01-04-2013, 03:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Quote:

What currently available camcorder model could you suggest that would give the same result as the video footage example?
If you want to wander the camera left and right yet you want jello-free image, then you need a CCD-based cam. These are getting phased out.

As I said, pretty much any camera will do for your purposes. Another reason for softness of the video that you posted is that it was deinterlaced with "blend", so it actually blurrier than it should be. You can see ghosting on moving objects.

If you want glow effect you can add it in post. Also, the camera from the first video had a drop of water on the lens.
post #12 of 22 Old 01-04-2013, 04:32 PM - Thread Starter

Any good light camcorder models you can personally recommend?
post #13 of 22 Old 01-04-2013, 04:32 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

If you want to wander the camera left and right yet you want jello-free image, then you need a CCD-based cam. These are getting phased out.
As I said, pretty much any camera will do for your purposes. Another reason for softness of the video that you posted is that it was deinterlaced with "blend", so it actually blurrier than it should be. You can see ghosting on moving objects.
If you want glow effect you can add it in post. Also, the camera from the first video had a drop of water on the lens.

post #14 of 22 Old 01-04-2013, 09:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 116 Post(s)
Liked: 98
Quote:

I own three I like a lot. They are the only camcorders/cameras that I have used.

The first is a Sony HX9V that has been replaced by the current Sony HX20V.

The second is a Panasonic SDT-750. The best match for a current version is the X900M.

The third is a Sony RX100 that is not supposed to be very good at video, but I think it does fine.

All three take crisp and clear 1080p60 video that can be "adjusted" in third party software as desired, or not.

Bill
post #15 of 22 Old 01-04-2013, 11:52 PM

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:

None, but if I was forced to buy a camcorder I would consider one of the Sony models the others have mentioned. Last year I had my fill of camcorders (a Panasnonic SD90 & TM900) but wasn't satisfied with the bland colors and dark overall look to the images (as if the camera was wearing a pair of sunglasses). By contrast, still cameras that shoot video produce bright looking and vividly colorful video. You might want to take a look at the Panasonic GH3 ($1300) FZ200 ($500-600) & LX7($300-400) samples posted in the other threads then compare them against the camcorders you are considering (if bright and vividly colorful video is important to you).
post #16 of 22 Old 01-05-2013, 12:40 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
I honestly don't know what camcorder will mimick the video you posted, but I've been following this forum for a bit looking in the same sub $500 price range and there are a few popular models such as the Canon M500 or Panasonic V700k. The Panny X900M is a higher end model that has been on sale close to your price range recently.
post #17 of 22 Old 01-05-2013, 01:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:

(START AT 6:05)
Could this video footage have been shot using a SONY HC32???
I'm looking for a camcorder that will bring out the same orange/gold skin tones, those warm 80s/90s saturated colors, slightly soft focus - It would also be nice to find a camcorder that's digital friendly so I can upload video clips onto my Mac for Final Cut Pro editing.THIS is test footage of a SONY HC32, which has similar vibrant colors in comparison to the 1st video.
ANY SUGGESTIONS on what type/model of camcorders can produce footage with saturated colors/quality like the 1st video?
THANKS!!!!!

The first video wont play where i am,the second does have a super 8 look,but IMO that is not a good thing i never liked super 8 ,some people loved the super saturated look that looked nothing like the real world though.
As far as camcorders go any modern cam or camera over £300/$400 will take far superior footage
post #18 of 22 Old 01-05-2013, 05:16 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by flintyplus View Post

The first video wont play where i am,the second does have a super 8 look,but IMO that is not a good thing i never liked super 8 ,some people loved the super saturated look that looked nothing like the real world though.
As far as camcorders go any modern cam or camera over £300/$400 will take far superior footage

As I've mentioned I'm going for a very specific look, and these sample videos have it. I really appreciate all the suggestions, but all these cameras that have been mentioned seem to be super sharp HD quality, producing very similar shots to what you'd see on National Geographic. The first video sample is of a family on vacation in 2004, and I'm sure they used a very simple and cheap handycam - I just wanted to see if anyone was familiar with a late 90s to 2000 handycam model that would give this color saturated, almost-film-like buttery movement.

Thanks!
post #19 of 22 Old 01-05-2013, 09:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:

As I've mentioned I'm going for a very specific look, and these sample videos have it. I really appreciate all the suggestions, but all these cameras that have been mentioned seem to be super sharp HD quality, producing very similar shots to what you'd see on National Geographic. The first video sample is of a family on vacation in 2004, and I'm sure they used a very simple and cheap handycam - I just wanted to see if anyone was familiar with a late 90s to 2000 handycam model that would give this color saturated, almost-film-like buttery movement.
Thanks!

You want to focus on editing software to get a certain look. You could color it yourself or use including filters in the software or buy additional filters that are compatible with the editing software.

It is better to capture the best quality possible with a "flat" look and then use editing software such as Sony Vegas or Adobe Premiere to color or even degrade the footage to a lower resolution, if you want.

If you start with poor quality and are dependent on the camera settings alone, you have less control over the image. You could, for example, shoot in high quality HD and then use a filter in an editor to make it look like it was shot on a 1970's Super 8 camera. You could take the same HD footage and make it look like it was shot on a camcorder from the late 1990's or polish it up to make it look even better than the original HD.

But you couldn't, for example put a digital copy of old Super-8 footage into your editor and make it look as good as the original HD footage. So, you want to look into getting a camera or camcorder that can capture high quality HD images with features such as good low light, dynamic range and research the best editing software for your needs/budget.
post #20 of 22 Old 01-05-2013, 03:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I just wanted to see if anyone was familiar with a late 90s to 2000 handycam model that would give this color saturated, almost-film-like buttery movement.
"Film-like buttery movement" is an oxymoron.
post #21 of 22 Old 01-06-2013, 12:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:

"Film-like buttery movement" is an oxymoron.
I think what he means is lacking that CMOS jello, so most likely a CCD camcorder. Probably Hi-8. Probably a Canon hi-8.

Skip to about 3:00. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uttJfmut7JI
post #22 of 22 Old 01-11-2013, 08:32 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTyson View Post

I think what he means is lacking that CMOS jello, so most likely a CCD camcorder. Probably Hi-8. Probably a Canon hi-8.

Skip to about 3:00. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uttJfmut7JI

MTyson - EXACTLY! Definitely more like an older CCD Hi-8 Camcorder. Just like the footage in the video samples I've embedded. They are very flat, color saturated, and has an old film-like quality to them.
Reply Camcorders

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page