Nikon Lens compatibility with a New Video camera-- Pro advice needed - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 01-14-2013, 01:00 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi,

Need advice-- I have a Nikon D3 with a suite of lenses.

I'm looking to move from still photography into video--I shoot backcountry skiing,snowboarding and mountain biking.

I would like---something that I can store in a camera backpack/hike with and to be able to use my existing Nikon lenses with or be able to buy an adapter to fit them to use on the new camera.

- I heard that DLSR video cameras are hard to shoot ski/snowboard with because the focusing has lag issues?

What are the 3 best nikon DSLR cameras for video about 1000 or under for the body?

What are 3 other cameras for under 1000ish that I could buy and adapter for in order to use my Nikon lenses with?

I'd be very grateful for any advice.

Cheers,

-RY
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 01-14-2013, 02:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gyanse1 View Post

Hi,

Need advice-- I have a Nikon D3 with a suite of lenses.

I'm looking to move from still photography into video--I shoot backcountry skiing,snowboarding and mountain biking.

I would like---something that I can store in a camera backpack/hike with and to be able to use my existing Nikon lenses with or be able to buy an adapter to fit them to use on the new camera.

- I heard that DLSR video cameras are hard to shoot ski/snowboard with because the focusing has lag issues?

What are the 3 best nikon DSLR cameras for video about 1000 or under for the body?

What are 3 other cameras for under 1000ish that I could buy and adapter for in order to use my Nikon lenses with?

I'd be very grateful for any advice.

Cheers,

-RY
cameras like the Panasonic GH2 could use your lenses with an adaptor,but i think the same same focusing lag issues would be there.
http://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/digital-slr-cameras/344_3757_31522_xx_xx/xx-criteria.html uk prices,i dont know the best value ones.
post #3 of 6 Old 01-14-2013, 02:29 AM

I'm not up to date on US prices (I'm in Australia) but how much of a perfectionist are you? You're probably unlikely to get 'perfect' video (particularly without the rolling shutter effect) out of any Nikon DSLR. I have a Nikon D7000 and it's better than the D90 but it's not perfect.

Video recording quality seems to improve with each new generation of DSLRs so pick the most recent mid range DSLR you can afford for your budget and that's probably as good as you'll get.
post #4 of 6 Old 01-14-2013, 04:56 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Hi RY - in case you missed it, here is the answer I just posted over at Videomaker:

In my view, the 3 best Nikon DSLRs for video under $2000 are the:

- $1997 D600 (FX) - weathersealed body, mic and headphone jacks, mirror blocks viewfinder in video mode, 30 min video clip length limit, somewhat smaller than your D3. Here is what it can do (Nikon official video):

- $897 D7000 (DX) - weathersealed body, mic jack only, mirror blocks viewfinder in video mode, 20 minute video clip length limit, somewhat smaller than your D3. Here is what it can do:

- $797 D5200 (DX) - available in late Jan 2013, plastic body, flip-out articulated LCD, mic jack only, mirror blocks viewfinder in video mode, 30 minute video clip length limit, significantly smaller than your D3. Here is what it can do (please watch in 1080p):

All of these cameras will have full autofocus and automatic exposure with your Nikkors. And yes, autofocus will be a little laggy in live view (video) mode.

The 3 best non-Nikon video cameras for your Nikkors under $1500 are the:

- $1299 Panasonic GH3 - weathersealed body, mic and headphone jacks, flip-out articulated LCD, 1080/60p for full HD slow motion, electronic viewfinder continues to operate in video mode, no video clip length limit, significantly smaller than your D3. Here is what this camera can do in the snow:

- about $750 for a used Panasonic GH2 from Amazon Warehouse Deals - plastic body, mic jack only, flip-out articulated LCD, electronic viewfinder continues to operate in video mode, no video clip length limit, much smaller than your D3. Here is what this camera can do:

- $1088 for a Sony NEX-VG20 interchangeable lens camcorder - plastic body, mic and headphone jacks, flip-out articulated LCD, 1080/60p for full HD slow motion, electronic viewfinder continues to operate in video mode, no video clip length limit, somewhat smaller than your D3 (online size comparison not available). Here is what this camera can do:

High quality Novoflex lens adapters with adapter-based aperture control for these cameras cost $260 for the Panasonics and about $293 for the Sony. Voigtlander adapters are $179 for the Panasonics and the same for the Sony. If Novoflex or Voigtlander adapters are out of your budget range, you can get far less expensive adapters of Asian origin (about $25). You will need to set your aperture and focus manually with all of these adapters.

I use my old Nikkors with the GH3. Fabulous combination.

Hope this is helpful, and good luck with the transition to video!

Bill
Hybrid Camera Revolution
post #5 of 6 Old 01-18-2013, 09:36 PM - Thread Starter

Bill,

Thanks so much for the detailed info.

Should i even be considering using my nikon leses, or should i start anew in the video game?

Will there still be lag time with the adaptors and my nikon lenses.

I'm gravitation toward the gh3---what should i know?

Cheers,

--Ry
post #6 of 6 Old 01-19-2013, 12:35 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Ry - sorry if I wasn't clear. Your Nikkors will become manual focus lenses on anything but a Nikon body.

That said, I would keep them, buy the GH3, a $27 adapter for your Nikkors and a used 14-140 (about $500 on eBay) for the GH3. Total price: less than $2000 for a great camera with a 10:1 auto lens and lightning fast autofocus- and the ability to mount your manual Nikkors when you need them.

Again, hope this is helpful,

Bill
Hybrid Camera Revolution
Reply Camcorders

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page