Converting and burning old DV movies - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 Old 01-22-2013, 01:20 PM - Thread Starter
Newbie
 
meteorsga's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 7
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
First off, I hope I have posted this question in the right place. smile.gif

And I have a feeling this is gonna be a very easy question for you guys/gals...

A couple weeks ago I decided that it was time to pull out all my old DV movies and capture them to the computer and finally burn some DVDs. I already had a firewire card which I took out of an older computer and put in my newer computer. I also ordered a video card for the computer to help it along as it sputtered some on the capturing process.

I downloaded Nero 12 platinum *trial* and got to work. I saved the captured video as .AVI but the trial version of Nero 12 would not let me author my DVDs as, well, it seems, anything other than just MPG2. OK. Well, I was not terribly happy with the video quality of the DVDs once I had them burned but Nero nag screens assured me I could burn using most any file-type I wanted once I actually bought the program.

I *have* ordered the full version of Nero 12 and it arrives today, so I am eager to burn some better-looking videos. Here's my questions for you all:

If my original home movies are on DV (tape) what is the best file-type to initially capture them to on the hard drive? And what is the best file format to use to burn them DVD? It's been years since I have done this and I want the video quality to be as close to the original as possible (natch!)

Thanks in advance!
meteorsga is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 3 Old 01-22-2013, 02:34 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Ungermann's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: San Diego, California
Posts: 3,870
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by meteorsga View Post

the trial version of Nero 12 would not let me author my DVDs as, well, it seems, anything other than just MPG2.
Would you rather have preferred MPEG-1? At 2 Mbit/s it would look even worse.
Quote:
Originally Posted by meteorsga View Post

If my original home movies are on DV (tape) what is the best file-type to initially capture them to on the hard drive?
Any container that can hold DV will work.
Quote:
Originally Posted by meteorsga View Post

And what is the best file format to use to burn them DVD? It's been years since I have done this and I want the video quality to be as close to the original as possible (natch!)
The closest to original is the original itself. Just burn DV files onto DVD discs. You will need lots of DVDs though, and you will need to slice your files into 4.7GB segments, too much hassle. Better to use Blu-rays, they have five times higher capacity. You can dump two tapes (give or take, depends on whether you have recorded a full tape) onto one BD.
Ungermann is offline  
post #3 of 3 Old 01-23-2013, 05:54 AM
Member
 
Rock Flint's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Near Tacoma, Washington USA
Posts: 86
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by meteorsga View Post

First off, I hope I have posted this question in the right place. smile.gif

And I have a feeling this is gonna be a very easy question for you guys/gals...

A couple weeks ago I decided that it was time to pull out all my old DV movies and capture them to the computer and finally burn some DVDs. I already had a firewire card which I took out of an older computer and put in my newer computer. I also ordered a video card for the computer to help it along as it sputtered some on the capturing process.

I downloaded Nero 12 platinum *trial* and got to work. I saved the captured video as .AVI but the trial version of Nero 12 would not let me author my DVDs as, well, it seems, anything other than just MPG2. OK. Well, I was not terribly happy with the video quality of the DVDs once I had them burned but Nero nag screens assured me I could burn using most any file-type I wanted once I actually bought the program.

I *have* ordered the full version of Nero 12 and it arrives today, so I am eager to burn some better-looking videos. Here's my questions for you all:

If my original home movies are on DV (tape) what is the best file-type to initially capture them to on the hard drive? And what is the best file format to use to burn them DVD? It's been years since I have done this and I want the video quality to be as close to the original as possible (natch!)

Thanks in advance!

Do you have the software disk that came with your camcorder? I'm guessing that it has the software for transferring the files from the camcorder to your computer.
Rock Flint is offline  
Reply Camcorders

User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off