Forum Jump: 

post #241 of 274 Old 07-26-2014, 01:40 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lateralnw View Post
I have version 5 of HD writer and I have not been able to get it to combine the files. In fact it exports the files in 4GB chunks!

RE your points,
Haven't you every watched a live (recorded) performance?. You can't afford to stop the camera as it will be just then that something important happens. If you never recorded it you can't edit it out later. Its fine to start/stop the camera for home videos but I'm not using it for that.

I also tried to use a Exfat formatted SD card but the camera reports it as an error.

More importantly to me is do others have this problem with this camera. e.g. loss of audio of approx 0.5 secs or as I have now discovered the last 24 frames at the end of the 4GB file.
There are other programmes to combine 4Gb files but others have combined files with HDWriter.

A more practical way, which I have used knowing the limitations, is to record the sound separately using a Zoom H2 or Fostex, do a two camera shoot to give me cutaways and combine the video and audio in a video editor.

Recording the sound using an audio recorder will give you a better sound recording.

Incidentally my "Home Videos" are documentaries NOT Pop concerts.
I would have thought you would have realised that the problem is with FAT32 formatting and your camera is working exactly as it was designed to do.

Last edited by Terfyn; 07-26-2014 at 01:52 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #242 of 274 Old 07-27-2014, 07:45 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
2 separate questions - Home Monitoring and using iMovie

Hello all, thank you for this great forum!

I'm very much a newbie when it comes to making videos. The Panasonic v720 is my first camcorder of any kind and I have no video editing experience, but I'm looking forward to home videos of my newborn and 3 year old and learning more about video-making and my v720 in general.

2 questions:

1) I was playing around with the home monitoring feature today and while I was able to send a voice message from my phone to the camera, I couldn't figure out how to send a voice message from my camera to my phone. What simple step am I missing?

2) I have a MacBook Pro with iMovie. I've been recording in 1080/60i which imports into iMovie fairly easily with the USB cable. I'd like to record in 1080/60p and save the original AVCHD files (to have the highest quality originals for potential future use) while also working with them in iMovie. To get the 1080/60p files into iMovie, I'll need to use a converter and I understand the quality will be decreased after conversion, which I'm ok with. There are many of these converters online and some of the websites look of questionable legitimacy. Any Mac users who can talk about their experience and offer recommendations?

Thank you in advance!

Scott
post #243 of 274 Old 07-28-2014, 02:36 AM

I think I'm finding the answer to my second question - it seems a program like ClipWrap rewraps AVCHD files into a QuickTime container, which actually doesn't degrade quality. I still need to read more about this. And learn more about codecs/containers/video formats!

If anyone has an answer for my first question about sending a voice message from the camera to my phone when using the Home Monitoring feature, I'd love to hear it.

Thanks again,

Scott
post #244 of 274 Old 07-28-2014, 07:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Liked: 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by sctusc View Post
........ I'd like to record in 1080/60p and save the original AVCHD files (to have the highest quality originals for potential future use) while also working with them in iMovie. To get the 1080/60p files into iMovie, I'll need to use a converter and I understand the quality will be decreased after conversion, which I'm ok with. .....
Consider saving up for Adobe Premier Elements. It usually goes on sale for about $50 in the holiday season. It runs on an Apple and has full AVCHD capability built in.
post #245 of 274 Old 07-28-2014, 09:14 AM

Thank you. I thought I'd done a pretty extensive Google search on my questions before my original post here, but my late-night/early morning marathon seems to have provided more info.

Adobe Premier Elements IS an option. Some people seem to think it's buggy but others have expressed they like it quite a bit.

What I seemed to be missing when I initially looked into this is that Mavericks, the new Mac OS, and its accompanying new version of iMovie, provides "native support for AVCHD". Hopefully, this is true, and I plan to upgrade to Mavericks within the next couple of days to check it out. If that doesn't work out in terms of AVCHD support, I can try ClipWrap or Adobe Premier Elements.

Thanks, and sorry for the long posts. I truly thought I'd done enough research when I asked my questions.

Now, back to Home Monitoring...anyone know how to transmit a voice message from the camera to the phone?!

Scott
post #246 of 274 Old 07-31-2014, 11:50 AM

Hi I've noticed a few comments on here about low light conditions but I wondered if anyone else had the same problem we have with our V720. In very good lighting conditions the focus and image quality is excellent (e.g. outdoors in the middle of the day). However we use our camera mostly inside in a church setting. The lighting is ok but the picture quality is average at best. I've increased the exposure but all shots are a bit blurry and out of focus.

This is an example of the camera outside:
which isn't too bad. However this is inside:

I wondered if anyone else had experienced the same. It's a bit disappointing as I can get better inside image quality with my iPhone 5!
post #247 of 274 Old 08-12-2014, 06:35 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terfyn View Post

I would have thought you would have realised that the problem is with FAT32 formatting and your camera is working exactly as it was designed to do.
I understand FAT32 and exFAT.
The camera is not working correctly if it is loosing the last 24 frames of audio approx 1/2second.
This is why I have been posting on this site to see if others have noticed this. The answer appears to be no.
The reason it is important is when recording a performance of singing and instrumentals you can't afford to have 1/2 sec of audio loss.
Using another recording devices in this situation introduces other problems, one is syncronising and the other is audio quality. This is based on experience.
post #248 of 274 Old 08-12-2014, 06:44 AM

Low light colour weak

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaseworldtour View Post
Hi I've noticed a few comments on here about low light conditions but I wondered if anyone else had the same problem we have with our V720. In very good lighting conditions the focus and image quality is excellent (e.g. outdoors in the middle of the day). However we use our camera mostly inside in a church setting. The lighting is ok but the picture quality is average at best. I've increased the exposure but all shots are a bit blurry and out of focus.

This is an example of the camera outside: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q3rWW7FTcwY
which isn't too bad. However this is inside: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z_ZMkRNVFjo

I wondered if anyone else had experienced the same. It's a bit disappointing as I can get better inside image quality with my iPhone 5!
A lot of my recording is indoors also and I am very disappointed with the V720. I found it looses colour definition and the fill light seems to be calibrated wrong e.g. white balance is out. I get a greenish tinge

You could try running the camera in a manual mode if your environment is static e.g. lighting or camera movement is minimal.
post #249 of 274 Old 08-12-2014, 11:11 AM

Quote:
I understand FAT32 and exFAT.
The camera is not working correctly if it is loosing the last 24 frames of audio approx 1/2second.
This is why I have been posting on this site to see if others have noticed this. The answer appears to be no.
The reason it is important is when recording a performance of singing and instrumentals you can't afford to have 1/2 sec of audio loss.
Using another recording devices in this situation introduces other problems, one is syncronising and the other is audio quality. This is based on experience.

The same problem of lost audio has been reported with cameras other than Panasonic. It is caused by Fat32 setting up a second file.
post #250 of 274 Old 08-19-2014, 04:51 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I used one of these at the weekend, What a great piece of kit
post #251 of 274 Old 09-25-2014, 06:49 AM

Quote:
I'm using the V720 but I as I mentioned in another thread (by accident V700) I had a problem where the files would be broken in to 4GB sections. This is about 35mins of recording. The other thing I noticed is the last 0.5 secs of the recorded audio is missing.

Both those things are not what I am experiencing in fact the opposite.
Could the owner of a V720 tell me what format their V720 formats in (e.g. fat32 or exfat or other) and if they also experience the 4GB file section. It would be terrific if someone could tell me if they have had the 0.5 sec audio loss between the 4GB file breaks.

Thanks.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terfyn View Post
The same problem of lost audio has been reported with cameras other than Panasonic. It is caused by Fat32 setting up a second file.
No special software is needed to combine multiple files broken at the 4GB boundary; just open a windows command prompt and use the copy command to perform binary concatenation.
e.g.
"copy /b 00000.mts + 00001.mts + 00002.mts + 00003.mts BigFile.mts"
will join the four "contiguous" files into one file called BigFile.
The key parameters here are '/b' which indicates a binary file, and '+' meaning to add to the end of the output file.

When I started using this technique with my X900 all the audio problems at the file boundaries disappeared. I don't have a V720 to verify the method but, if my memory serves me correctly, I discovered this solution on a Sony forum, so if it works for Sony cameras and my Panny, it is probably a universal solution.

I am guessing that the problem is with the data structure of the file format, in that there is header added at the start of the recording (the start of the first file), but not at the start of the subsequent files - since each is meant to be seamlessly joined to the preceding one. i.e. the subsequent files were never meant to be treated as individual files. When viewed/processed as individual files, incomplete packet data at the end of a file or the beginning of the next is simply thrown away by the video player, giving rise to the reported and personally observed audio loss or sync loss.

Enjoy.
post #252 of 274 Old 09-25-2014, 11:06 PM

Hello everyone, first-time poster, relatively short recording experience (1 year) with the Panasonic HCv720.

I'm looking for recommendations for a small hand-hand remote record/pause trigger. I've already downloaded and used the android app (which is fantastic) but it is large and bulky to use when I am recording myself. So I would appreciate any recommendation for something small I can just keep in the palm of my hand and just push to record / pause.

I'm also having problems with getting the Panasonic software to work on Windows 7 - and had to use some crazy work-around that involved Windows Movie-Maker to import the proprietary formatted video into Adobe Premiere (which cause some sound loss).

Has anyone been able to get the Panasonic Software to work or can recommend a moderately-priced ($100 range) software that can read and convert AVCHD into standard video formats?

Thanks!

L
post #253 of 274 Old 09-25-2014, 11:58 PM

P.S. Re: Sound Loss (couldn't edit for some reason) using my sloppy hack to convert the video all of the audio goes into one channel.
post #254 of 274 Old 09-26-2014, 12:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laura Pazzaglia Simmarano View Post
Hello everyone, first-time poster, relatively short recording experience (1 year) with the Panasonic HCv720.

I'm looking for recommendations for a small hand-hand remote record/pause trigger. I've already downloaded and used the android app (which is fantastic) but it is large and bulky to use when I am recording myself. So I would appreciate any recommendation for something small I can just keep in the palm of my hand and just push to record / pause.

I'm also having problems with getting the Panasonic software to work on Windows 7 - and had to use some crazy work-around that involved Windows Movie-Maker to import the proprietary formatted video into Adobe Premiere (which cause some sound loss).

Has anyone been able to get the Panasonic Software to work or can recommend a moderately-priced ($100 range) software that can read and convert AVCHD into standard video formats?

Thanks!

L
First you do not need the Panasonic HDWriter to download from the camera. Using either the USB link or SD card in your PC reader, open the folder and you will see DCIM and PRIVATE. For AVCHD files Open PRIVATE then BMDV then STREAM. You should see a number of files with *******.MTS. These are your video files and you can save them to your PC before loading them into your video editor. (Use Windows Explorer)
For MP4 files go to DCIM then 101UDPBH and you will find the ****.MP4 video files.
I use the Corel VideoStudio Pro X7 editor. this will give you everything you need to edit and render the files into videos into usable files for DVD, Blu-Ray or YouTube etc. You do not need any intermediate conversion step. Most editors will take the MTS and MP4 files directly.

There is no remote control for the 720 other than the App. I use my Samsung Mini Smartphone with Near Field Communication to control the camera (in my case a HC-V750) A cheap small Smartphone with NFC will do, you do NOT need a SIM card!!
You can always use the editor to tailor the video clips without using a remote control. Just start the camera, get settled in front of the lens and make the presentation, then, in the edit, cut out the bits you don't want.

Adobe Premier should take the files from the camera (as described above) without loss of any sound information and no intermediate step should be needed. Use the latest version and make sure your PC is powerful enough to run it.
post #255 of 274 Old 09-26-2014, 02:07 AM

Copy command to fix audio loss on joined mts files

Quote:
Originally Posted by DustyHat View Post
No special software is needed to combine multiple files broken at the 4GB boundary; just open a windows command prompt and use the copy command to perform binary concatenation.
e.g.
"copy /b 00000.mts + 00001.mts + 00002.mts + 00003.mts BigFile.mts"
will join the four "contiguous" files into one file called BigFile.
The key parameters here are '/b' which indicates a binary file, and '+' meaning to add to the end of the output file.

Enjoy.
Thanks DustyHat your solution seems to have worked.
So just to clarfiy I use a Panasonic 720 and joining the files using the Binary copy command worked no audio loss when checked in Vegas Pro V13 64bit

Thanks again top tip.
post #256 of 274 Old 09-26-2014, 02:24 AM

Hmm... as a new poster I can't add images and links - but apparently I can't quote or AT anyone, either!

Terfyn, Thanks for the quick response!

Too bad about the lack of small remote, but it will certainly be a lot less editing for me if I whip out a huge google phone and swipe the camera off versus taping my walking back and forth to the button each time.

Adobe Premier will not open .mts files no matter what I do. I also looked for plug-ins and they won't work, either. : ( I have not taped in mp4 because of what I've read about the lower quality video. I'm taping indoors with not much natural light (cooking videos) so I need the highest quality possible to also allow me to do. some video-editing zooms to add a little variety

I'll look into Corel, also I read earlier in this thread about Sony Movie Studio - do both of those read .mts files and allow me to save in .mp4 or .avi?

Thanks,

L
post #257 of 274 Old 09-26-2014, 03:20 AM

I'll look into Corel, also I read earlier in this thread about Sony Movie Studio - do both of those read .mts files and allow me to save in .mp4 or .avi?

I'm a Corel fan (fell out with Sony in the Hi-8 days) Corel certainly reads MTS and MP4.
I have the slightly later camera to you and record in AVCHD 1080/50p (UK) but the 750 has a slow motion feature that records in MP4. Both are read by VideoStudio seamlessly.
I used to use HDWriter but now just download from the SD card using the method described above. It's so much easier.
My Samsung Smartphone you could hide behind a bag of flour (if you see what I mean) so the remote could be made invisible to the camera and you would only need to edit the bit between switching the camera on and you starting your presentation.
Lighting can be a problem. You can throw money at a set of studio lights and diffusers which would, of course, work. I would be tempted to look at the newer LED lights to see if there was anything suitable. Fairly cheap, cool to run and lightweight. I use a battery driven camera mounted lamp with 126 LEDs for light fill in dark corners.
post #258 of 274 Old 09-26-2014, 08:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Laura,

I'm going to make a guess that your copy of Premier may be an old one and that could be why it does not accept your .mts files. The .mts files your camera creates have become a standard expectation in all editing software.

I've used Premier Elements for Panasonic and Sony .mts files straight from the cameras for a few years. The first version was 9 and it was balky. I think version 11 was when the so called "AVCHD" .mts files became "fully supported". Adobe is on an annual update cycle for Premier Elements and version 13 was entered in the market this week. Price is usually around $80, but can drop as low as $50 in the holiday rush.

To add a little confusion, Adobe uses the same "Premier" name for their professional version. It used to be called Premier Pro when it was actually sold and it came in "creative suites". The last one was "CS6". Now Adobe rents their professional software on a subscription basis and they call it the "Creative Cloud" or "CC". So now, their pro editor is called "Premier CC". If all you want is the video editing program, you rent it for $20 per month.

There are three more popular and capable low cost editing programs. They are Sony's Movie Studio 13, Corel's Video Studio Pro X7 and Cyberlink's Power Director 12 Ultimate.

If you are using a recent version of Premier Elements, I can help you make it work.

And, last, could you post a link to your cooking channel?

Bill
post #259 of 274 Old 09-26-2014, 08:27 AM
AVS Special Member

I found Laura in two places. She has her own website and is featured in a video done by Fagor America.

http://www.hippressurecooking.com/

post #260 of 274 Old 09-26-2014, 09:55 AM

Haha! Thanks, I can't take credit for that video (other than being in it). But here is my very first video last year using the Panasonic HC-V720 :
(oops! can't post links yet, just google "youtube hip pressure cooking perfect risotto" and it should take you there)

I learned lots of things from that one, like better uhm.. presenter angle, better lighting, and after that video I got an external mic for better sound. But it was a bear to edit so I didn't really make any more - mainly because of the format incompatibility and having to learn the ultra-complex Premier (Yes, I have CS6). I live in an area with terribly slow internet up/download so it doesn't make any sense for me to use software on "the cloud." I'd be spending all of my time waiting for things to be refreshed. It took me a week to up-load 30 minutes of HD videoclips onto dropbox.

I'm really getting excited about the Corel - I've been looking at online videos about it and will download the free trial when I'm ready to tape my next video (in a few weeks). It just seems simpler than Premier and that's great because I don't really need access to every possible option.

Ciao,

L
post #261 of 274 Old 09-26-2014, 10:28 AM

Just LOVED the video and am going to try the recipe! I will have to cook the old fashioned way.

The lighting seemed fine to me and the camera angles were good.

Just a few ideas:- Your cuts in time were quite abrupt. You may benefit using short transitions between shots. (Corel has dozens of them) Fades and wipes for example.
You say you have a new mic. Is it any better? I would think that a Lavalier (tie clip) mic would work well.
Finally collect and use any copyright free music you can find. Corel has a few in the Auto Music section but IMO they are very poor. BUT you can add your own music to your videos and "stretch" the audio track to fit the video. (This just speeds up or slows down the Tempo) It is better to get a fairly close match for audio to video time for it to work well. I collect CDs of copyright free music for my own vids.

If your Internet is very slow then go for the disk version. I always try to get the disks to cover any problems if my PC crashes and I lose the program. Corel seem to update the program every year, X7 is the current version, but the variations are not that great that an update is needed every year. In fact the tutorial videos by Gripps (worth looking up) start at X4 and are still relevant for X7.
post #262 of 274 Old 09-26-2014, 11:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 33
For Premiere Pro CS6, if you have a fully legal copy, you shouldn't have issues importing MTS files at all. For pirated copies on the other hand, some features are missing so you may or may not be able to import MTS files. Basically Adobe put in a security measure in which you'd need to download more files after you purchase Premiere CS6 just to get all the features. Still, some people may have successfully gotten their pirated Premiere Pro copy to work with all features. With that said, their may be cases of legal copies missing stuff if it wasn't downloaded properly. If your copy is legal, I'd advise to go into the update section of Premier Pro and update the software. If you still can't get MTS files in than you should try to uninstall it and then re-install it and make sure you're online while you do it so you can get all the updates as well.

Last edited by Paulo Teixeira; 09-26-2014 at 11:46 AM.
post #263 of 274 Old 09-26-2014, 01:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
....(oops! can't post links yet, just google "youtube hip pressure cooking perfect risotto" and it should take you there).....

Based on watching it, you should be telling us how to make videos as well as cooking!

I have no issue with any of the popular editors, including Corel's. A consideration for me a couple years ago was learning the software. I found Premier Elements had more resources for learning than the others. There is a course on Lynda.com done by Steve Grissetti that is very well done. After months of frustration, the course had me capable of editing video in a short week.

Premier Elements, other than name, is not related to Premier Pro. It has plenty of editing horsepower, yet has guided and basic modes as well. And, it is a fraction of the Pro price.

Bill

Last edited by bsprague; 09-26-2014 at 01:57 PM.
post #264 of 274 Old 10-22-2014, 10:00 AM

I'm finally taping again (downloading the preview copy of Corel Video as I type this).

When I previewed some of today's video clips there was a terrible interference with the sound. I was recording in 1080p, using a hama plug-in mic but I also had an appliance with blue-tooth, ipad, google smartphone (trying to control the camera remotely - it worked on/off and kept disconnecting) and a voltage converter (EU to US) running. I was also using fluorescent lights. I can't do without the mic as I am taping in a kitchen there would otherwise be an echo. I 69'd the google phone after I was spending more time tinkering with it than it would just take me to walk back and forth to the camera but I need the rest of the stuff as I'm taping a tutorial on how to use them.

I'll upload a clip as soon as I can edit it, but in the meantime, I'm curious if there are known items that interfere with recordings.

Thanks!

L

P.S. Would like to see video clips of others and read what settings/equipment they used!
post #265 of 274 Old 10-22-2014, 11:58 AM

P.P.S. I just realized the video clips I recorded without the Panasonic smartphone remote don't make the noise - my guess is that the wi-fi remote interfered with the bluetooth and the mic picked-up on it! : (
post #266 of 274 Old 10-22-2014, 11:52 PM

Quote:
P.P.S. I just realized the video clips I recorded without the Panasonic smartphone remote don't make the noise - my guess is that the wi-fi remote interfered with the bluetooth and the mic picked-up on it! : (
The Smartphone remote has a live audio output i.e. if the camera can hear the Smartphone then an acoustic loop can be set up. Try reducing the volume on your phone to zero.
post #267 of 274 Old 11-23-2014, 04:38 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I was wondering if anyone had any experience using a wide angle converter lens with the V720 to purposely get an exaggerated fish eye effect. I'm looking to create this effect while filming & I am currently considering the Opteka .35x wide angle lens. Can anyone tell me if that lens would produce the desired effect (or any tips on a wide angle lens that would give me that effect)?

Thank you!
post #268 of 274 Old 11-27-2014, 01:46 PM

card check problem

hello guys! I am new to this forum. Well every time when i turn on my hcv720 shows me the message ''card check''. Ι've tried a lot of different sd cards and continue to show the same thing. Any help?
Thank you.
post #269 of 274 Old 11-27-2014, 03:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aggeloss View Post
hello guys! I am new to this forum. Well every time when i turn on my hcv720 shows me the message ''card check''. Ι've tried a lot of different sd cards and continue to show the same thing. Any help?
Thank you.
Are you formatting the card in the camera?
post #270 of 274 Old 11-28-2014, 01:04 AM

It is essential that you format the SD card in the camera. The formatting sets up a number of folders for both video/stills files and for housekeeping files. The camera will not recognise a card formatted in a PC.
Reply Camcorders

Tags
Panasonic Hc V720 3d Ready 1mos Hd Digital Camcorder
Gear in this thread - V720 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page