Forum Jump: 

post #241 of 250 Old 07-26-2014, 12:40 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lateralnw View Post
I have version 5 of HD writer and I have not been able to get it to combine the files. In fact it exports the files in 4GB chunks!

RE your points,
Haven't you every watched a live (recorded) performance?. You can't afford to stop the camera as it will be just then that something important happens. If you never recorded it you can't edit it out later. Its fine to start/stop the camera for home videos but I'm not using it for that.

I also tried to use a Exfat formatted SD card but the camera reports it as an error.

More importantly to me is do others have this problem with this camera. e.g. loss of audio of approx 0.5 secs or as I have now discovered the last 24 frames at the end of the 4GB file.
There are other programmes to combine 4Gb files but others have combined files with HDWriter.

A more practical way, which I have used knowing the limitations, is to record the sound separately using a Zoom H2 or Fostex, do a two camera shoot to give me cutaways and combine the video and audio in a video editor.

Recording the sound using an audio recorder will give you a better sound recording.

Incidentally my "Home Videos" are documentaries NOT Pop concerts.
I would have thought you would have realised that the problem is with FAT32 formatting and your camera is working exactly as it was designed to do.

Last edited by Terfyn; 07-26-2014 at 12:52 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #242 of 250 Old 07-27-2014, 06:45 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
2 separate questions - Home Monitoring and using iMovie

Hello all, thank you for this great forum!

I'm very much a newbie when it comes to making videos. The Panasonic v720 is my first camcorder of any kind and I have no video editing experience, but I'm looking forward to home videos of my newborn and 3 year old and learning more about video-making and my v720 in general.

2 questions:

1) I was playing around with the home monitoring feature today and while I was able to send a voice message from my phone to the camera, I couldn't figure out how to send a voice message from my camera to my phone. What simple step am I missing?

2) I have a MacBook Pro with iMovie. I've been recording in 1080/60i which imports into iMovie fairly easily with the USB cable. I'd like to record in 1080/60p and save the original AVCHD files (to have the highest quality originals for potential future use) while also working with them in iMovie. To get the 1080/60p files into iMovie, I'll need to use a converter and I understand the quality will be decreased after conversion, which I'm ok with. There are many of these converters online and some of the websites look of questionable legitimacy. Any Mac users who can talk about their experience and offer recommendations?

Thank you in advance!

Scott
post #243 of 250 Old 07-28-2014, 01:36 AM

I think I'm finding the answer to my second question - it seems a program like ClipWrap rewraps AVCHD files into a QuickTime container, which actually doesn't degrade quality. I still need to read more about this. And learn more about codecs/containers/video formats!

If anyone has an answer for my first question about sending a voice message from the camera to my phone when using the Home Monitoring feature, I'd love to hear it.

Thanks again,

Scott
post #244 of 250 Old 07-28-2014, 06:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by sctusc View Post
........ I'd like to record in 1080/60p and save the original AVCHD files (to have the highest quality originals for potential future use) while also working with them in iMovie. To get the 1080/60p files into iMovie, I'll need to use a converter and I understand the quality will be decreased after conversion, which I'm ok with. .....
Consider saving up for Adobe Premier Elements. It usually goes on sale for about $50 in the holiday season. It runs on an Apple and has full AVCHD capability built in.
post #245 of 250 Old 07-28-2014, 08:14 AM

Thank you. I thought I'd done a pretty extensive Google search on my questions before my original post here, but my late-night/early morning marathon seems to have provided more info.

Adobe Premier Elements IS an option. Some people seem to think it's buggy but others have expressed they like it quite a bit.

What I seemed to be missing when I initially looked into this is that Mavericks, the new Mac OS, and its accompanying new version of iMovie, provides "native support for AVCHD". Hopefully, this is true, and I plan to upgrade to Mavericks within the next couple of days to check it out. If that doesn't work out in terms of AVCHD support, I can try ClipWrap or Adobe Premier Elements.

Thanks, and sorry for the long posts. I truly thought I'd done enough research when I asked my questions.

Now, back to Home Monitoring...anyone know how to transmit a voice message from the camera to the phone?!

Scott
post #246 of 250 Old 07-31-2014, 10:50 AM

Hi I've noticed a few comments on here about low light conditions but I wondered if anyone else had the same problem we have with our V720. In very good lighting conditions the focus and image quality is excellent (e.g. outdoors in the middle of the day). However we use our camera mostly inside in a church setting. The lighting is ok but the picture quality is average at best. I've increased the exposure but all shots are a bit blurry and out of focus.

This is an example of the camera outside:
which isn't too bad. However this is inside:

I wondered if anyone else had experienced the same. It's a bit disappointing as I can get better inside image quality with my iPhone 5!
post #247 of 250 Old 08-12-2014, 05:35 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terfyn View Post

I would have thought you would have realised that the problem is with FAT32 formatting and your camera is working exactly as it was designed to do.
I understand FAT32 and exFAT.
The camera is not working correctly if it is loosing the last 24 frames of audio approx 1/2second.
This is why I have been posting on this site to see if others have noticed this. The answer appears to be no.
The reason it is important is when recording a performance of singing and instrumentals you can't afford to have 1/2 sec of audio loss.
Using another recording devices in this situation introduces other problems, one is syncronising and the other is audio quality. This is based on experience.
post #248 of 250 Old 08-12-2014, 05:44 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Low light colour weak

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaseworldtour View Post
Hi I've noticed a few comments on here about low light conditions but I wondered if anyone else had the same problem we have with our V720. In very good lighting conditions the focus and image quality is excellent (e.g. outdoors in the middle of the day). However we use our camera mostly inside in a church setting. The lighting is ok but the picture quality is average at best. I've increased the exposure but all shots are a bit blurry and out of focus.

This is an example of the camera outside: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q3rWW7FTcwY
which isn't too bad. However this is inside: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z_ZMkRNVFjo

I wondered if anyone else had experienced the same. It's a bit disappointing as I can get better inside image quality with my iPhone 5!
A lot of my recording is indoors also and I am very disappointed with the V720. I found it looses colour definition and the fill light seems to be calibrated wrong e.g. white balance is out. I get a greenish tinge

You could try running the camera in a manual mode if your environment is static e.g. lighting or camera movement is minimal.
post #249 of 250 Old 08-12-2014, 10:11 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lateralnw View Post
I understand FAT32 and exFAT.
The camera is not working correctly if it is loosing the last 24 frames of audio approx 1/2second.
This is why I have been posting on this site to see if others have noticed this. The answer appears to be no.
The reason it is important is when recording a performance of singing and instrumentals you can't afford to have 1/2 sec of audio loss.
Using another recording devices in this situation introduces other problems, one is syncronising and the other is audio quality. This is based on experience.

The same problem of lost audio has been reported with cameras other than Panasonic. It is caused by Fat32 setting up a second file.
post #250 of 250 Old Yesterday, 03:51 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I used one of these at the weekend, What a great piece of kit
Reply Camcorders

Tags
Panasonic Hc V720 3d Ready 1mos Hd Digital Camcorder
Gear in this thread - V720 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page