AVS Forum banner

Sony Handycam HDR-CX160

1K views 8 replies 6 participants last post by  fishywishy 
#1 ·
I did not format my memory card before I used it and now my home movies are in CPI format and I can not get them downloaded onto my computer. I have looked on web for program to change this format into a Jpeg but I can't find one that will change from the CPI format. Can anybody out there help me figure this out?

#3 ·
I don't think your videos are in those files. .cpi is the so called clip-info-file, part of the AVCHD structure and NOT containing the video.

Look for other files. The actual video files should end in .mts or .m2ts.

If you are on a PC, the Play Memories Browser software that came with the camera will find the files for you, transport them to your computer and allow you to do some basic editing.

If you are on a Mac, my understanding is that you need current versions of software to handle the AVCHD .mts/.m2ts files.

Are you plugging the camera in to the computer? Or, just using the SD card? What computer do you have? What software are you using to transfer the files? What software are you using to view or edit the files?

Bill

#4 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by debbiedarby25  /t/1455107/sony-handycam-hdr-cx160#post_22895914

I did not format my memory card before I used it and now my home movies are in CPI format and I can not get them downloaded onto my computer. I have looked on web for program to change this format into a Jpeg but I can't find one that will change from the CPI format. Can anybody out there help me figure this out?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AVCHD#Overview

#7 ·
It appears that, except for functions for features specific to the camera and the included software, any files besides the .mts or .m2ts files have no function. No third party editor uses them for anything. So, depending on your editing tools, you may only be wasting space on your HDD with .cpi and other such files. The Sony Picture Motion Browser (PMB) software, and the current version PlayMememories Home (PMH) will do some fun stuff that need those files.

#8 ·
MPEG or MTS files?

Sorry to piggyback on this thread but I think my situation is closely related. I'm trying to learn how to change a setting to have the camera record in mpeg format instead of mts. I've used two different cameras that I borrowed and one recorded in mpeg and the other in mts. I can't figure out where the setting is to do this is if the different formats are due to another factor. I appreciate ANY help I can get.

Thanx
"Never, ever doubt what nobody is sure about." -Willy Wonka

#9 ·
Sorry to piggyback on this thread but I think my situation is closely related. I'm trying to learn how to change a setting to have the camera record in mpeg format instead of mts. I've used two different cameras that I borrowed and one recorded in mpeg and the other in mts. I can't figure out where the setting is to do this is if the different formats are due to another factor. I appreciate ANY help I can get.

Thanx
"Never, ever doubt what nobody is sure about." -Willy Wonka
mpeg is only available when you record in standard def

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.