Need help on Professional Camera Purchase - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 10 Old 01-29-2013, 07:14 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hey peeps,

I'm looking to purchase a prosumer or professional video camera.

I'm not looking to spend ridiculous amounts on the camera but a fair whack.

The main things I'd be using it for are short films, skits and some travel. So I'd like it to be fairly lightweight and customisable. I would also like it to be good in lowlight and have that filmic look... not the doco look. Also for it to be internal memory or card. No more DV.

I've currently spied this but am unsure if it's a ripoff or whether the quality is up to scratch as it only has 1080 and not 720... also touch screen controls is not the best for convenience. http://www.videopro.com.au/p-5137--sony-hxrnx30p-nxcam-camcorder-hxr-nx30p.aspx

Do you have any suggestions or pointers?

I own an amazing Miller tripod and want to have it give a professional filmic look with crisp and vibrant colours.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 01-29-2013, 07:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sting316Ā View Post

Hey peeps,

I'm looking to purchase a prosumer or professional video camera.

I'm not looking to spend ridiculous amounts on the camera but a fair whack.

The main things I'd be using it for are short films, skits and some travel. So I'd like it to be fairly lightweight and customisable. I would also like it to be good in lowlight and have that filmic look... not the doco look. Also for it to be internal memory or card. No more DV.

I've currently spied this but am unsure if it's a ripoff or whether the quality is up to scratch as it only has 1080 and not 720... also touch screen controls is not the best for convenience. http://www.videopro.com.au/p-5137--sony-hxrnx30p-nxcam-camcorder-hxr-nx30p.aspx

Do you have any suggestions or pointers?

I own an amazing Miller tripod and want to have it give a professional filmic look with crisp and vibrant colours.

I had the US version of the NX30 and it definetely has 720P. The consumer version does not. The camera is very good and I bought it to record street clips for my wife's blog. The audio was very important to me and that's why I went with the pro model. Sold on Ebay only because I no longer needed it.
Took a look at the Asian model and it looks it also has 720P. The touch screen is wonderful, great when you have to follow a subject (just touch it on the screen and focus will track it).

http://pro.sony-asia.com/product/hxr-nx30p

Standard Definition Causes Lung Cancer, Heart Disease, Emphysema, And May Complicate Pregnancy
post #3 of 10 Old 01-29-2013, 08:03 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for this.

How do you think it is in terms of filming a short movie to get that cinematic look? Could the footage pass off like one or is it more for doco's and holiday shoots?
post #4 of 10 Old 01-29-2013, 08:35 PM
AVS Special Member

No cinematic look. The NX30 is very good as a street cam for short documentaries and interviews. Not a studio camera. A ND filter could help decrease the dof but it doesn't take standard filters. I suggest you start looking at DSLRs if you are in short movies. A Panasonic GH3 with a fast micro 43 lens would produce better results.
The problem in using camcorders for movies is the price, the ones which can really do the job are way over this price. I bought a GH3 for this reason but i'm yet to shoot my first movie, still learning how to use camera.

Standard Definition Causes Lung Cancer, Heart Disease, Emphysema, And May Complicate Pregnancy
post #5 of 10 Old 01-29-2013, 08:41 PM - Thread Starter

Ah nice. Thanks for that. Yeah, I'm unsure about DSLR due to the fact that it's quite time-consuming to setup and shoot. Plus the stability of doing a tracking shot without the proper equipment is quite jerky. Hmmm, this is a toughy.
post #6 of 10 Old 01-30-2013, 05:33 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Sting, for a little more than the NX30, you can get a ~$2450AUD Sony NEX-VG30 camcorder shipped from Canada via ebay.com.au

This camera has a large, cinematic sensor and a smooth power zoom.

Here is what NEX camcorders can do:

Blonde Ambition
Visages due Nuit
Date
I have shot with the VG20, a and it produces great images. With the VG30's power zoom, I think you will get the image quality and ease of use you're looking for.

Cheers,

Bill
Hybrid Camera Revolution
post #7 of 10 Old 01-30-2013, 02:32 PM - Thread Starter

post #8 of 10 Old 01-30-2013, 02:42 PM - Thread Starter

post #9 of 10 Old 01-30-2013, 05:24 PM - Thread Starter

On further inspection, the website looks like a scam. I shall go with a more respectable company. smile.gif
post #10 of 10 Old 01-30-2013, 05:38 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Good call. Always pays to be careful. As for your original question - the "EH" suffix means it is the PAL version with the lens. The "H" suffix means it is the NTSC version with the lens.

Good luck!

Bill
Reply Camcorders

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page