Macuser unhappy with video output of small sport cams.. - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 01-30-2013, 03:19 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10

I have been making grips for sport cams for a few years. I started with the FLIP in a WP housing and probably have bought at least one of each major offering. I don't really have the time, or need, to learn Final Cut Express which I bought years ago. I only need to pull a minute or two to proof-check how the grip is working. ..but, Yeeech - the stuff looks crappy coming out of iMovie.

The little cam attached to the fork of my bike is a Sony Action Cam HDR AS15. I saw someone here HDMI'd the cam to a monitor and it was beautiful. My results look like a bad drug trip for an 80yr old. The colors are lifeless, there's sparkles, the contrast is crappy, and the resolution looks as if 1080 was pushed thru a pasta strainer.

The only thing I can think of that may be a 'weak link' is the macro card. I have ordered a couple of Cl.10s ..do you think that would make a difference over a Cl.6?

As I say, I do not need fancy edits. I need the quickest-bestest way to grab 1min and post it. I would be interested in how you get your results. Thanks.

Jim
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-30-2013, 03:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 197 Post(s)
Liked: 143
1. The microsd card has nothing to do with video quality. Going from class 6 to 10 will do nothing to improve the video.

2. What settings did you use on the AS15 to shoot video?

3. How did you view the clip - after editing? before editing? what player?

It is difficult to help you without any relevant information (nice case and photo).
Old 01-30-2013, 06:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked: 75
The Sony looks better than the GoPro3 in the tests I have seen.

Old 01-31-2013, 07:58 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Stinko .. not happy to hear about Cl. 10 cards.

Markr, I simply USB the camera to my iMac .. often iMove automatically inputs the video from the cam. On some cams I pull the card from the cam and copy it to the desktop via card reader. This Sony was set at 1280x720.

Rather than iMovie I would prefer to simply take a clip off the cam and edit for length with MPEG Streamclip .. I also have FFmpegX, DV Kitchen, MacX Video converter (buggy), etc..

I guess I am whining because these cams only seem to work well in even, high lighting. Full sunny days from 10am - 2pm with few shadows are perfect ...and even low light - because you expect to see 'low light'. I simply cannot seem to get one to reproduce what my eye sees in the late afternoon or moving thru a wooded area. "Whine...."

I know... my next stop is a visit with the Chaplain. Thanks.

Jim