Computer-controlled camcorder for a specific application - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 2 Old 02-01-2013, 08:03 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi all,

I want to write an application, which among other things will interact with a camcorder, and I'm researching whether it is possible to do using some inexpensive (<500$) camcorder. I have never used a camcorder before, so any information will be appreciated. Here is what the app is supposed to be doing:
  1. Tell the camcorder to start recording
  2. Record for 2-3 minutes
  3. Tell the camcorder to stop recording the current file and start recording the next one
  4. Download the latest recorded file to the computer and do something with it
  5. Goto 2

Now, I figure that most of this can be done using a LANC-compatible camcorder. However I have problems figuring out how to download already recorded files while simultaneously recording a new one. I understand that most camcorders won't allow me to record video while being connected to the computer via usb/firewire, is that correct? Is there something I can do about it?

I'm also interested in other approaches to doing this (I've considered using a GoPro for example, but it has the same problem - cannot shoot while connected to USB). The quality of the video should be somewhat high - at least 720p@60fps. 1080p@30 may also be enough.

Any thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old 02-05-2013, 06:06 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Perhaps use two cameras instead of one?

That way you can record on one, download from the other, then switch.

Rob
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Camcorders

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page