Maximu Camera run time - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 02-08-2013, 10:10 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Assuming I have enough SSD storage, How long can camera run / continuously stream HDMI output to an Atomos Ninja 2? I shoot legal procedures, depositions, etc., which can go for up to two hours non-stop. Need to know if anyone has experienced overheating or crashes, etc. Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 02-08-2013, 11:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 59
Why use that when you could use a 256GB SDXC card with normal compressed video in most high end camcorders ? Amazon has the Lexar Professional 600x 256GB SDXC UHS-I Flash Memory Card for under $220. On my Sony NEX-VG900 with FV-100 battery it is rated for many hours and a 256GB SDXC card covers that time period.

post #3 of 4 Old 02-09-2013, 03:48 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thx. issue is up to 2 hr nonstop segments. But up to 5 or segments per day, daily downloads for repeat next day, and so on. SD / CF cost to cover two days of media adds up fast. SSD recorders like Ninja and Shuttle seem more reliable and cost effective in the long run. We'll see. Thx again.
post #4 of 4 Old 02-09-2013, 04:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 26
If you're using one of the AVCHD camcorders keep in mind that when shooting video to a flash memory card, the mts files get broken up into 4GB chunks. These have to later be stitched together or there will be skips at the point a new file is created.

This is standard and actually not a big deal to do with editing software, (or the provided SW included with your camcorder), but it is an extra step and could be time-consuming if you are dealing with a large amount of data/as it seems you may be from your post.

I have never used one of those external recorders but if the device makes your recordings into one, seamless file for each video take this may be a clear advantage for your situation.

Regarding overheating, you shouldn't have a problem with a camcorder two hours at a time. If you get a DSLR; yes, there may be a problem with overheating. The exception to this is the Panasonic GH2 or GH3; although technically "micro-four thirds" cameras, they are inter-changeable lens cameras that are casually referred to as DSLR's and won't overheat as a DSLR might with long shoots.

But camcorders definitely shouldn't be used as a surveillance camera might/for many hours; they are intended to be used "intermittently". I don't know what your depositions typically involve, but if it's always one fixed angle, you could get a good surveillance camera. some that have zoom lenses, that are designed to be on 24/7 and overheating would definitely not be an issue.
Reply Camcorders

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page