Help this elderly gent select for his grandson. - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 14 Old 02-15-2013, 02:05 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm trying to buy a camcorder for my grandson so I can see video from him and his family when overseas.

I've spent the past week looking and reading and here is what I have thought might work for us. I appreciate any and all input and please be honest if you think these selections are not good.

I know HD is what I should buy for the so.....

So far, I have Panasonic HC-V10
JVC GZ-ES210
Samsung HMX-F80SN

So, have I chosen ok or do I need to start over? If I've done ok, which of these would you prefer and why? Good and/or bad about them? And finally, got suggestions on units I should consider?

Thank you all very much.

Mel
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 02-15-2013, 02:35 PM

I'm trying to buy a camcorder for my grandson so I can see video from him and his family when overseas.

A video of them site seeing and frolicking on the beach, that grandson can post on something like YouTube?

If that is the case go with the Panasonic, I do not have experience with this particular model. I feel thier offerings are well built, well priced, and reasonable simple (compared to some others) to use.

Are you more interested in chatting with them through video, as in Skype or something?
post #3 of 14 Old 02-15-2013, 02:40 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you for your reply. No, I just wanted them to have one to take home video and for when they get out and see a few sites. I'd love to see all the great things that happen at home when you say "drat, I wish I had a video camera" That way I can still see my great grandchildren as they grow.

Is there anything good or bad about the models I've chosen?

I'm so new at this and wasn't until I started looking that I found out that if I buy one, it should be HD. smile.gifsmile.gifsmile.gif
post #4 of 14 Old 02-15-2013, 02:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked: 97
Welcome to the forum grandpa! I'm up there too, but I don't consider myself elderly. Maybe experienced. And, I have granddaughters. We are best buddies and have enjoyed learning video together over the last couple years. They are quite good at it.

I don't think you are going to get very good advice on this forum. The problem is that the regulars here are equipment junkies. They love having the better products in the camcorder category. I looked up all three of your choices and you are shopping the bottom end. Nobody here is going to have any first hand knowledge of them.

I'm worried you set the bar so low on price.

Our first camcorder at S,S&G Productions (that stands for Sara, Samantha and Grandpa) was a $750 Panasonic that is similar to the the current V700. We learned a lot. Then we bought a Sony "point and shoot" with a reputation for video quality. It was called the HX9V and the current version is the HX20V. That camera became the favorite of both granddaughters because they think it takes "brighter" video.

Their current favorites are their new iPods. As near as I can tell, their iPods take better quality than the bottom end camcorders!

How old is your grandson? Does he have his own smartphone? Does the camera have to be under $200? Is you or he that is going overseas?

Good luck with this.
post #5 of 14 Old 02-15-2013, 02:49 PM - Thread Starter

He's overseas. Doesn't have to be under $200 but $750 is a little too much. Thought I'd done a good job too. smile.gif Care to direct me towards brand/models I should be looking at
post #6 of 14 Old 02-15-2013, 07:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nakedland View Post

He's overseas. Doesn't have to be under $200 but $750 is a little too much. Thought I'd done a good job too. smile.gif Care to direct me towards brand/models I should be looking at
Based on what I have personal experience with, I would suggest you look at the following:

Sony HX20V for $290

Panasonic LX7 for $350

Panasonic FZ200 for $500

If it has to look like a camcorder:

Panasonic V700 for $500

Confusion exists because manufacturers are trying to make cameras that do both video and photo. And, they are quite successful! It does not need to look like a camcorder anymore.

Good luck!

Bill
post #7 of 14 Old 02-15-2013, 08:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Where "overseas"?

In The US, the NTSC television system is used. In many parts of the world, PAL is used.

Granted, if he used it only on a computer, it wouldn't matter too much as far as matching the proper frame rate/grid flicker (Hz's).

But also consider you want to buy the correct voltage camcorder for the given area. In other words, a camcorder purchased in the US may not work wherever he is, although you can buy PAL camcorders in the US, for example at BHphotovideo.com.
post #8 of 14 Old 02-15-2013, 10:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by xfws View Post

Where "overseas"?

In The US, the NTSC television system is used. In many parts of the world, PAL is used.

Granted, if he used it only on a computer, it wouldn't matter too much as far as matching the proper frame rate/grid flicker (Hz's).

But also consider you want to buy the correct voltage camcorder for the given area. In other words, a camcorder purchased in the US may not work wherever he is, although you can buy PAL camcorders in the US, for example at BHphotovideo.com.
NTSC is dead, it is not being used anymore in the U.S. All modern electronic equipment is multi-voltage, no problem. Just get a proper plug converter. Get a 60 Hz model to watch on a U.S. TV/DVD/BD because U.S.-sold electronics is picky when it comes to 50 Hz video.
post #9 of 14 Old 02-16-2013, 09:59 PM

I just bought the Panasonic V700 Camcorder from newegg for 399.00 Based on everything I have read about it. That price is a steal!
post #10 of 14 Old 02-16-2013, 11:22 PM

I don't have any experiance with newegg have you or anyone had good dealing with them in past ?? Thanks Bill
post #11 of 14 Old 02-17-2013, 01:22 AM

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by abdiver View Post

I don't have any experiance with newegg have you or anyone had good dealing with them in past ?? Thanks Bill
Newegg has been around for years, but you better find out what they mean when they say: http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&DEPA=0&Order=BESTMATCH&N=-1&isNodeId=1&Description=Panasonic+V700&x=14&y=19 "Limited Replacement Only Return Policy"

Example: A couple years ago I bought a Panasonic TM900 camcorder from B&H Photo and the focus of the camera always looked a little soft due to a slight optical defect. Fortunately B&H had a very customer friendly poicy of a 100% refund (except for return postage) for ANY reason if the camera had only been barely used and was returned within a certain time frame. The Newegg policy might not be that customer friendly so you'll have to seach out the policy and read it.
post #12 of 14 Old 02-17-2013, 11:43 AM

Ive dealt with newegg quite a bit and never had a problem. But I have never had to return anything. So Im not sure how they are with their return policies. Like was said they have been around for years. This is from their website.

Return for refund within: non-refundable
Return for replacement within: 30 days
Products that state "This item is covered by Newegg.com's Replacement Only Return Policy", or items labeled as “Non-refundable” (or similar labeling) must be returned to Newegg within 30 days of the invoice date for this policy to apply. Products covered by this return policy may only be returned for a replacement of the same or equivalent item, if the original is no longer available. “Return” constitutes receipt of the product by Newegg, and not the mere issuance of an RMA.
post #13 of 14 Old 03-10-2013, 05:10 PM

I have recently purchased a new Panasonic V700 Camcorder from newegg. The Panasonic box had been opened so much, that someone put a rubber band around it to keep it closed. The owner's manual had been used and had been creased open on several different pages.

I called newegg to see if they shipped me a refurb or open box model. They said I was sold a new model, but I know at the very least, it was poor packaging and a used manual. I am still trying out my camera to see if there are any defects, but if there were, I would not be able to get a refund because their camcorders have "Limited Replacement Only Return Policy." That particular model was discontinued and no longer in stock 1 week after my purchase.

I have since made 2 more purchases from newegg. One item was delivered as expected. The other item I received was not what I ordered. Newegg is doing an investigation and will get back with me within 5-7 days.

Based on my experiences with newegg, I don't know if I would recommend or order from them again.
post #14 of 14 Old 03-10-2013, 06:13 PM
AVS Special Member

I had a similar experience with Amazon, except it was a leaf blower. The box was all but worn out. I emailed them. I a very short time I was offered my choice of a refund, replacement or 25% credit. It was only a leaf blower so I took the credit.

I hope newegg understands the need for high customer service in the mail order retail business.

Good luck!
Reply Camcorders

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page