Question about this camcorder? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 02-18-2013, 11:02 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi all.. I currently do custom made home videos of females in acting situations and upload them. Currently I use a Sony Handycam CRX-110 w/ high def mode. I wanted to ask a few questions..

1) When I upload the videos onto PMB, the videos appear crisp and in high definition mode. When I convert them onto WMV format, it gives the option of Low quality, standard definition (1,000 kbps) and High quality (3,000 kbps). I always choose high quality (3,000 kbps). However, when I use all modes, everything appears the same. Why is that?

2) When I upload the videos, a 7 minute clip is usually 95 MB, however when I look at other people's clips, their 7 minute clips are sometimes 250 MB, what is the difference?

3) What is a new and good Sony camcorder I could use (high def) that would great for amateur video clips for excellent quality that won't be lose quality when I convert to WMV?

thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-18-2013, 02:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 31
king - before you upgrade, you might want to try troubleshooting your PMB/conversion/upload challenge. Here is a resource from Sony Japan that you may find helpful:

http://support.d-imaging.sony.co.jp/www/disoft/int/pmb/trouble/index.html

You should not lose that much quality in the conversion.

Cheers,

Bill
Old 02-18-2013, 04:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by king13 View Post

Hi all.. I currently do custom made home videos of females in acting situations and upload them. Currently I use a Sony Handycam CRX-110 w/ high def mode. I wanted to ask a few questions..

1) When I upload the videos onto PMB, the videos appear crisp and in high definition mode. When I convert them onto WMV format, it gives the option of Low quality, standard definition (1,000 kbps) and High quality (3,000 kbps). I always choose high quality (3,000 kbps). However, when I use all modes, everything appears the same. Why is that?

2) When I upload the videos, a 7 minute clip is usually 95 MB, however when I look at other people's clips, their 7 minute clips are sometimes 250 MB, what is the difference?

3) What is a new and good Sony camcorder I could use (high def) that would great for amateur video clips for excellent quality that won't be lose quality when I convert to WMV?

thanks!

They are uploading at a higher bitrate, which will make the video look better online. 3,000 kbps = 3mbps which is way too low. Does your program allow you to input a higher number?

If you can manually input, try putting in something like 25,000 kbps. If your program can't do it, you will need to use something else to boost the bitrate.

Also make sure that you are shooting at the highest quality setting on your camera.
Old 02-19-2013, 06:46 AM - Thread Starter

I see. Well, when I upload them to PMB, they look great however when I go to convert them to WMV format, the only options are low quality, standard quality and high quality (3,000 kbps).. How would I go about getting more kbps?
Old 02-19-2013, 07:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Liked: 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by king13 View Post

I see. Well, when I upload them to PMB, they look great however when I go to convert them to WMV format, the only options are low quality, standard quality and high quality (3,000 kbps).. How would I go about getting more kbps?
Why are you converting to WMV?
Old 02-19-2013, 07:51 AM - Thread Starter

The site only accepts WMV and MOV type formats and WMV is the easiest and most familiar with it
Old 02-19-2013, 08:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Liked: 100
OK, so change the workflow a little. I think the problem is that you are expecting too much from PMB.

The word "upload" can be confusing. To me it means "send a file somewhere on the internet". "Open" or "load" a file means using software to work on the file.

So, I assume when you say you are "uploading" to PMB you are opening your video files in PMB, or "PIcture Motion Browser" that is provided by Sony with your camera. Then you may be doing some trimming or other minimal editing. PMB does not allow for a lot of editing. It's primary purpose is to move, store and catalog footage. And, it does that well.

It does not appear that Sony made much of a commitment to allow production of videos in Microsoft's WMV format. I looked up WMV and found an interesting article on Wikipedia. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_Media_Video If you look under "Encoders" it lists several popular non linear editing programs (NLEs), including Windows Movie Maker.

I've never had the goal of making WMV files. So I tested my favorite NLE called Adobe Premier Elements 11 with footage from my Sony camera. I opened a small project I was working on and elected to "Share to a computer file", selected "Microsoft" and got a video with the .wmv file name that was as crystal clear as what I had been doing with other settings I used previously. I noticed that Premier Elements told me it was using the "Windows Media Codec 9", which was mentioned in the Wikipedia article.

My suggestion is to spend $80 for Premier Elements 11. Once you finish with PMB's transfer from the camera to computer, switch to Premier Elements for editing and encoding or "converting".

I don't know much about Windows Movie Maker other than it's free and that a current version on my computer will open anything I shoot on my Sony camcorder. It also will output or "transcode" to .wmv. So, if you don't want to spend the $80, WMM may be all you need.

Good luck!

Bill