Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 16 Old 02-28-2013, 07:14 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi Everyone

Aaron here new to your forum.

I come form a graphic design background and have used the Adobe CS5.5 Master collection suite for a couple years but up to now have not played with the video editing features in the suite so I will most likely ask some very newbi stuff and although I am a computer geek I am just starting my video journey.

I bought the HC-X900M recently and have been playing with it to learn how I might produce a high quality video output in 2 formats:
1 for web
2 for DVD

I am using a Macbook Pro OSX 10.8.2 and I have been trying to use Premiere Pro CS5.5 (PP) and Adobe encoder but am not sure what the presets should be for the native file formats coming from the camera nor do I know what the best output settings should be for Web or DVD as I have not worked in video but in graphic design.

Any resources, settings workflows or shareware freeware stuff you can point me to to assist would be helpful I don't have any funds left to upgrade to Adobe 6 so if 5.5 won't do it I'm stuck. eek.gif

Also I do have the option of going PC but don't have any editing software for my windows 8 machine. I was a PC guy for over 20 years and worked in IT but went to Mac when I retrained for graphic design after the economy failed. So if for some reason it would be easier to go to PC I am willing but wanted to try to use Mac as I own the software already and was hoping to use it.

Thank you

Aaron
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 02-28-2013, 08:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 116 Post(s)
Liked: 98
Aaron,

Welcome to the forum.

I own a similar camera, don't own a Mac and don't use CS5.5 or 6. Instead I use a PC and have been teaching myself the $80 Adobe Premier Elements 11. I still might be able to point you toward some answers.

First, read up on AVCHD. Wikipedia has a good summary. Then see if the section in the manual on format choices makes sense.

Your choices for settings are listed here, with the highest quality on top:
1080/60p (28 Mbps / VBR), (1920 x 1080/60p)
HA (17 Mbps / VBR), (1920 x 1080/60i)
HG (13 Mbps / VBR), (1920 x 1080/60i)
HX (9 Mbps / VBR), (1920 x 1080/60i)
HE (5 Mbps / VBR), (1920 x 1080/60i)
iFrame (28 Mbps / VBR), (960 x 540/30p)

You can see in the list the Mega bits per second. The bigger the number the more "detail quality" in the footage. P is for progressive and i is for interlaced, with is a confusing concept left over from the invention of broadcast TV displayed on TVs with tubes in them. I know nothing about iFrame.

Notice that the highest setting is 1080/60p. It was added to the AVCHD standards later than the rest of the settings. So, you may not find it in 5.5 presets. My last version of Elements didn't have it and I found that a 720p preset worked fine. My understanding is that the presets have mostly to do with the real time editing preview and a lot less than the final rendering to your delivery media.

It may be that with 5.5 you will have to work with the settings other than 1080p.

Since you said your two primary choices of delivery are DVD and the Web, all the other settings should work unless there is fast motion like in sports. DVD is standard definition (SD) and the output rendering will have to lower or "down rez" the picture quality. There is plenty of reading on that process in the Adobe Premier Forums (http://forums.adobe.com/community/premiere ).

The current version 11 of Premier Elements does all the work for you. It automatically picks a preset based on the first clip used and burns DVDs from within the program itself.

For the Web, video is usually delivered with YouTube or Vimeo. Both have specifications explained on their sites. The idea is that at final output rendering you try to match the specifications because it improves upload times. However, if you have the bandwidth or the time you can up load almost any format and it will get converted to required specifications.

Good luck.

Bill
post #3 of 16 Old 02-28-2013, 12:20 PM - Thread Starter

Hi Bill

Thank you for the tips I appreciate them.
Biggest problem I have had with PP is it crashes a lot as compared to Photoshop, illustrator and InDesign as well as most MAc Apps that never crash not really sure why I've tried reinstall
but still have problems with it.

I posted in Adobe forum but never got a response.

I'll check out the info you gave me and see what I can learn.

Cheers
post #4 of 16 Old 02-28-2013, 01:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron Wolfe View Post

..............Biggest problem I have had with PP is it crashes a lot as compared to Photoshop, illustrator and InDesign as well as most MAc Apps that never crash not really sure why I've tried reinstall
but still have problems with it.

I posted in Adobe forum but never got a response.

I don't think it is common for Premier Pro to crash. It would not remain a mainstream product if it did!

I check the Premier Elements forum daily to see what I can learn. I can't imagine you were ignored unless your question was too difficult.

Bill
post #5 of 16 Old 03-01-2013, 02:36 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron Wolfe View Post

I am using a Macbook Pro OSX 10.8.2 and I have been trying to use Premiere Pro CS5.5 (PP) and Adobe encoder but am not sure what the presets should be for the native file formats coming from the camera nor do I know what the best output settings should be for Web or DVD as I have not worked in video but in graphic design.

A while back, Mac's had a heck of a time reading the 1080 60p files. Not sure if this is still the case but PP CS5 and up will do it just fine on a PC. Import the raw files into PP's assets. Drag a video file into the "New Sequence" icon or something to that effect, can't remember, it will automatically create a timeline that is suitable for those 1080 60p files. Edit away.

For output, most web videos, most users just use the YouTube HD preset for exporting. Gives good results. This preset is defaulted to 24fps, I just bump it up to 29.97 so make pans smoother. YouTube still likes it, not sure if it reconverts to 24fps. This way, a 29.97 720p file will play well on the computer as well as for uploading to YouTube. Don't even bother trying to configure code and your server to play these on your own website. Upload your final files to YouTube and just use the embed codes to display the video on any website.

Hope that helps.

As for the crashes, it could be a sign of not enough memory. A while back, PC graphic chips from nVidia kept crashing PP if you insert a very high res image (psd, jpg). nVidia released a patch and that resolved things. What graphics card are you running and can you hack it so PP can utilize the mercury engine and dish off some real time rendering to the GPU?
post #6 of 16 Old 03-01-2013, 08:57 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowmah View Post

For output, most web videos, most users just use the YouTube HD preset for exporting. Gives good results. This preset is defaulted to 24fps, I just bump it up to 29.97 so make pans smoother. YouTube still likes it, not sure if it reconverts to 24fps. This way, a 29.97 720p file will play well on the computer as well as for uploading to YouTube. Don't even bother trying to configure code and your server to play these on your own website. Upload your final files to YouTube and just use the embed codes to display the video on any website.

Hope that helps.

As for the crashes, it could be a sign of not enough memory. A while back, PC graphic chips from nVidia kept crashing PP if you insert a very high res image (psd, jpg). nVidia released a patch and that resolved things. What graphics card are you running and can you hack it so PP can utilize the mercury engine and dish off some real time rendering to the GPU?

Thanx Bowmah
This gives me some more to work with. My Macbook Pro specs are as follows:
Processor 2.8 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
Memory 4 GB 1067 MHz DDR3
Graphics NVIDIA GeForce 9600M GT 512 MB
Software OS X 10.8.2

As I have been an IT professional for close to 20 years I typically keep my hardware up to date as far as releases etc.. I have not seen anything from NVIDA concerning issues with this graphics card
and have all the "released" updates for the machine. As far as memory 4 GB is as high as I can go on the 15" MBP. Although the laptop is a few years old got it in 2010 when I started retraining in graphic design I have not had any issues except in PP. I suspect it is the presets that I am playing with that causes the instability. To cover the basics I run disk maintenance on a regular basis and reinstall OS and apps about 1 a year as I personally found it keeps performance at an optimum level.

When it crashes it spits out a report however since I left the tech side of things 15 years ago and became a management consultant I can't track the info to see if it is hardware, software or my activities using it that is causing the issue.
post #7 of 16 Old 03-01-2013, 10:18 AM
AVS Special Member

If I had the opportunity to bet on it, it would be the memory. In fact, I used video editing as an excuse to buy a Windows 7 laptop with 16 GB for the AVCHD files. And, I don't even have the Pro version.

On editing software forums, AVCHD formats have not always been popular among the oldtimers, especially the ones using Macs. The files are big and it takes computer horsepower to get results.

If it were me, I would try the iFrame setting on the camera. There also may be an MPEG setting.

If those don't work, do some web searching for video converters that will take the AVCHD and "rewrap" or convert to more friendly footage. I don't have a Mac, so I have no personal knowledge. "HandBrake" is one converter I've read about.

From the TM900 manual:

iFrame:
This is a recording format suitable for playing back or editing on Mac.
iFrame motion pictures can be imported faster than AVCHD motion
pictures. Also, the imported file size of iFrame motion pictures will be smaller than
that of AVCHD motion pictures.

There are 3 recording formats that can be used with this unit: AVCHD that records
high-definition motion pictures, 1080/50p that records motion pictures in maximum
quality for this unit and iFrame that records motion pictures suitable for playback
and editing on Mac.

Good luck with this!

Bill
post #8 of 16 Old 03-01-2013, 11:57 AM - Thread Starter

Thanx Bill

I have been also looking into the Adobe On location app as well as PP which came with the CS Master Collection.

Problem I am currently facing is how to connect the Camera so I can get a live feed in the program.
The USB cable I have determined is strictly for file transfer and does not interface with the video
The other options I have is the multi AV port and the HDMI port from the camera.

My prefrence would be to use the HDMI but I am not sure if my multi-port on the Mac will take incoming or if it is
restricted to only operating as an out.

I could use Firewire but the camera does not support it.
post #9 of 16 Old 03-01-2013, 02:28 PM
Advanced Member

I am guessing it is RAM as well. PP is a ram and CPU hog. Being 64 bit and with the new mercury engine, PP can now use as much RAM as you can throw at it.

Another user had reported a drastic drop in image quality when using iframe but you can test that out. Otherwise, finding a converter and you can test those files on PP and I think even use iMovie?

Good luck.
post #10 of 16 Old 03-01-2013, 02:52 PM
Advanced Member

Thought of something. Try exporting a small video file with no filters jpgs etc.

Also use Export instead of Queue. That decider has known issues and will crash. Use PP to do the export. Give that a try.
post #11 of 16 Old 03-01-2013, 05:24 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by bsprague View Post

Aaron,

Your choices for settings are listed here, with the highest quality on top:
1080/60p (28 Mbps / VBR), (1920 x 1080/60p)
HA (17 Mbps / VBR), (1920 x 1080/60i)
HG (13 Mbps / VBR), (1920 x 1080/60i)
HX (9 Mbps / VBR), (1920 x 1080/60i)
HE (5 Mbps / VBR), (1920 x 1080/60i)
iFrame (28 Mbps / VBR), (960 x 540/30p)

Bill

Is it not odd that iFrame is 28Mbps (lowest quality) same as 1080/60p (highest)? Why all that bandwidth for weak pq? My wife has an MBP and I tried it once for kids soccer. PQ was craptacular in comparison to 1080.
post #12 of 16 Old 03-01-2013, 07:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by STR3T View Post

Is it not odd that iFrame is 28Mbps (lowest quality) same as 1080/60p (highest)?
Because iFrame is I-frame only format. Regular AVCHD uses I, P and B frames.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IFrame_%28video_format%29
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Video_compression_picture_types
post #13 of 16 Old 03-01-2013, 07:55 PM
AVS Special Member

I am not a Mac owner and never was. There seems to be a time when Macs and Final Cut were the kings of the mountain. It may be that has changed. I read on various forums that Vegas, Premier and Avid run better on PCs. No, I am not trying to start a PC vs Mac argument.
post #14 of 16 Old 03-16-2013, 05:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsprague View Post

I am not a Mac owner and never was. There seems to be a time when Macs and Final Cut were the kings of the mountain. It may be that has changed. I read on various forums that Vegas, Premier and Avid run better on PCs. No, I am not trying to start a PC vs Mac argument.

I use them all. Kinda Like FCP and Vegas best.....oh correction haven't use Avid. smile.gif)
post #15 of 16 Old 03-16-2013, 01:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Yes Premiere Pro, starting with CS5 have been obsessed with certain Nvidia cards with a gig and higher which takes some of the load of the CPU when it comes to some of the effects, etc. With CS6, it's starting to take advantage of a few ATI cards. As for the presets, you can easily have a 1080 60p timeline in 5.0 and 5.5 but you have to set it manually. Once your starting a new project and are looking at the Sequence box which shows all the presets, click on the General tab. Under the editing mode, click on Desktop and under timeline put 59.94 and to make sure it's progressive, look at what it says on the Fields part. Make sure it's set to "No fields progressive scan".

It's true that for editing 1080 60p files, that laptop isn't fully good for it. You'd need a slightly better processor, minimum of 8 gigs of Ram and a better graphics card although I'd say the first 2 are the most important and then if you're planning on doing a ton of effects, an Adobe recommended NVidia card can be considered.

With all that said, I'd make sure the computer isn't doing much else since a lot of things can slow it down such as having other programs open, multiple web pages open, some virus protection programs, update services, etc so basically I'd check to see what else your computer could be doing while your editing.

This should help you see what programs could be taking up a lot of your computer's resources.
http://www.macequivalent.com/mac-equivalent-of-windows-task-manager/
post #16 of 16 Old 03-16-2013, 05:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulo Teixeira View Post

Yes Premiere Pro, starting with CS5....
I'm jealous! I only dream about that level of software! There is the video stabilizer and the connection to After Effects, etc. I'm afraid to even read a book about it.

Bill
Reply Camcorders

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page