Buying an XL-1 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 03-01-2013, 10:16 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm buying an XL-1 from a local guy and was curious what I should look for when inspecting it? I only have a few hours before we are meeting.

Just curious if there are any specific problems they are known for?

Thanks =)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 03-01-2013, 01:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 33
It might be too late but first things first is to check everything with it being actually turned on and it would help to have a tape to try and record some sample footage. Then see if it plays back properly and see if you can easily rewind and fast forward and then playing the tape again. This is a very old camera now and so you never know how many times the camera has been used so making sure the heads are good is very important. The lens is another place to check. For example see if theirs any noticeable scratches. Some smaller scratches might not show up in the video but big ones might. Looking at the camera's viewfinder is one way but if possible, playing back the newly recorded footage on a TV would be even better especially if theirs a ton of scratches on the lens and you want to see if that effects the video quality.

Again this is definitely an old standard definition camera and you should think really hard about this. it was released in January 1998 I believe. What is your budget? Perhaps you'd be able to get a nice HD camera instead.

My Youtube page:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Flickr page:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 3 Old 03-01-2013, 02:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wake4real View Post

I'm buying an XL-1 from a local guy and was curious what I should look for when inspecting it? I only have a few hours before we are meeting.

Just curious if there are any specific problems they are known for?

Thanks =)
Unless you are buying it for $50 I would not bother. Hmm, I am not sure I would by the XL-1 even for $50. That's old tech. Can it do widescreen? Can it do progressive? (Maybe it can do 30PsF). Well, the only good thing about it is CCD.
Reply Camcorders

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page