Newbie Camcorder owner Handycam - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 03-01-2013, 11:42 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Heres the story.

I got the HDR-CX210... tried it at home and found out its crappy at low light situations.
I tried the HDR-CX220... in the store because they thought the low light sensor was broken but it sucked too.

I jumped to a different series.

HDR-CX320. Its better. but the real question is... I'm thinking it would be better if I put a mini flashlight on the camera.
Is there any way i can mount something on there?

Is anyone modding these things? I could just duct tape a LED flashlight to the thing... would that work?
or i see its not desinged for it. Would it make things worse? I dont know. lol

where is the light sensor? i just dont want to interfere with it.

I dont think they make any accessories for this camera. If there are I'd be willing to get a flashlight.
I tested the 1000 dollar camera and it wasnt that much better in well lighting.

I guess i could just carry a flashlight around with my free hand. But yea these cameras dont produce clear video in low light (and its not even low light its normal light for a normal house).

Any suggestions?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-02-2013, 06:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 27
You put the camcorder on a flash bracket and add an LED light via the bracket's "shoe". Some brackets have more than one shoe slot for adding a microphone to plug into camcorder, in addition to a light..

bracket..
http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_1/185-4818147-3535436?url=search-alias%3Delectronics&field-keywords=flash+bracket

light..
http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_1/185-4818147-3535436?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=led+camcorder+light

The brackets can be used hand-held or if you have a tripod, there is usually a thread on the bottom of the bracket knob to screw the tripod plate in.
Old 03-02-2013, 09:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 118 Post(s)
Liked: 100
Welcome to the forum campdude!

"Any suggestions?"

Add light any way you can. Buy brighter bulbs for the light fixtures. Buy clamp lights at the local hardware store. There are all kinds of small, cheap led "work lights" at Lowes, HomeDepot and Walmart.

I wanted to do a video in a very dark Halloween haunted house. I used a pocket sized $30 LED Fenix flashlight that shines an even beam. I tried a few different ways to attach the camera and flashlight, including velcro. I set the zoom to match the flashlight beam. It was so dark, seeing the screen was impossible, so aiming was done by pointing the flashlight and the camera "followed". There was a fog generator in the room, so some "flare" showed up that added to the drama effect. The camera was a Sony HX9V on automatic.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fEVLuX-6Bt0

Enjoy!

Bill
Old 03-02-2013, 09:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 196 Post(s)
Liked: 143
Let's get real.

1. There is nothing more annoying to subjects than having a flashlight, let alone an incredibly bright LED, aimed at them. Your kids will rebel, and forget guests. It is bad enough pointing cameras at family memebrs and getting them to keep doing what they are doing. And you could blind them.

2.There is nothing worse that the light from a camera for illumination, unless you are shooting a horror video, in terms of video quality.

Forget camera lights; maybe acceptable at weddings where newlyweds, and even their guests, seem to put up with all sorts of camera incoveniences to have a record of their happy day.

I can't know how badly lit your home is. But if you cannot get decent videos in your home with $1000 dollar camcorders (which ones?), then you need to improve your home lighting, not just for photography, but for your kids' eyes (and yours).

You might consider the Panasonic LX7 for video; it takes good low-light video. Check out the thread on that. The Sony RX100 is another (much more expensive) alternative for dim light - they have a fast lens/bigger sensor than camcorders, but limited zoom. they also enable you to actually control ISO, shutter, and aperture independently (unlike most camcorders), so you deal with low light issues more intelligently.
Old 03-03-2013, 09:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 118 Post(s)
Liked: 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by markr041 View Post

Let's get real.

So, you don't think blacked out haunted houses are a "real" video opportunity?

I had spent a week as a volunteer in a state park converting a cold, concrete historic power house to a stage for scaring kids. On Halloween night actors showed up from the local theater group. It was a fund raiser for historic preservation. I had to find a way to get some of it on video. The best I could think of was my flashlight! I don't think the actors liked the bright light.

Your point about people not liking things pointing at them is certainly true. I get better video from my pocket cameras than the bigger one. By "better" I mean more interesting, not necessarily improved picture quality.

Bill