Replacing part from Sony DCR-TRV18 with similar camcorder - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 03-04-2013, 10:51 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have a Sony DCR-TRV18 MiniDV camcorder from the early 2000's. The firewire port has gone bad and I'd like to fix it by replacing that part.

I've looked for an identical TRV18 camcorder to buy so I can swap out the part. However, there are two camcorders that I believe to be basically identical camcorders, except for the LCD screen size, they are the TRV25 and TRV27 camcorders.

Does anyone know if I could buy one of those other models (if I can't find a cheap enough TRV18) and use the part in the TRV18?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 03-04-2013, 11:47 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 19
i believe you could just use the tape in whatever minidv you buy. im not sure if it has to be a sony or not tho
post #3 of 4 Old 03-05-2013, 11:39 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
The DV tapes I have play back the best on the camcorder they were shot on. I tried capturing with a different Sony DV camcorder and there were some glitches.
post #4 of 4 Old 03-21-2013, 06:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by PSimpso View Post

The DV tapes I have play back the best on the camcorder they were shot on. I tried capturing with a different Sony DV camcorder and there were some glitches.

You probably just have to clean the heads on the other camcorder before playing back the tapes from you original camcorder. MiniDV is a universal standard and any MiniDV camcorder can playback and offload MiniDV tapes via firewire.

If you're using digital connections (ie HDMI or firewire) to view or transfer media, there is absolutely zero difference which camcorder it was shot on. I have the TRV-25 and I've played my tapes back on Canon, JVC and other Sony units with zero problems.

That would be like you only wanting to playback a CD you recorded only on your original CD recorder, it's all just ones and zeroes my friend.

With that said, you could easily rent a camcorder or better yet rent a MiniDV tape deck and spend the time to offload your footage to hard drive for archival purposes. Sony's repair is pretty painless and relatively inexpensive if you wanted to send it in to have it repaired, just FYI.

Good luck.

Now that's how you supposed to drive!

Onkyo TX-NR807, Polk LSi15, Polk LSiC, Polk LSiF/X

Reply Camcorders