PF24 or 60i - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 03-05-2013, 08:39 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I recently found out my PF24 is not at all 24p. Its a 24p fittted into a 60i format.

Should I just shoot in 60i to begin with and do any conversions to 24p in editing? Or will it be easier if I shoot in PF24 and let the editor simply remove the pulldown to get 24p?

Thanks!

Signature.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 03-05-2013, 01:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by dnoyeB View Post

I recently found out my PF24 is not at all 24p. Its a 24p fittted into a 60i format.

Should I just shoot in 60i to begin with and do any conversions to 24p in editing? Or will it be easier if I shoot in PF24 and let the editor simply remove the pulldown to get 24p?

Thanks!
If you sure you need 24fps, then in order of preference:

1) native 24p
2) PF24, then remove pulldown, then edit resulting 24p
3) whatever else frame rate you have, convert to 24p.

#3 looks from passable to downright crappy depending on original frame rate and conversion process.

If you are serious about 24fps then get a proper camera that can record native 24p. It is not like we live in 2007 when the only consumer cam with 24p was the HV20 (and it had it as PF24).

With #2 you will get true 24p after removing pulldown (for luma, chroma will likely still be interlaced and you will need to smoothen it vertically). Good tools cost money, and conversion takes time. Also, you waste one generation of the video.

You may find this interesting: http://provideocoalition.com/awilt/story/review_canon_vixia_hf11_avchd_camcorder/

HF11-hummer.jpg
post #3 of 4 Old 03-05-2013, 06:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Cineform works pretty good with 24p files within a 60i stream but unfortunately their NeoScene product has been discontinued which you could have gotten for eighter $99 or $129 depending on where you get it. Their is a free version now for GoPro cameras but I'm not sure if that removes pulldown. The one that costs $299 does but I can see how that can be a bit steep for people who just wants to convert to a pure 24p file. At least theirs a trial.
http://cineform.com/downloads

This is what I really could not stand about my SD600. Sometimes I'll be shooting in 24p with a shutter of 24 at night which helps low light capabilities but I'm finding myself having to use NeoScene which results in having much bigger files that takes up extra hard drive space. I didn't have to worry about that with my GH2. I'm glad I recently got an AC90 which has native 24p but if only it was a little smaller.

If you want 24p, my advise is to shoot in 24p within 60i and make sure you properly convert the footage unless you get a new camera that has native 24p from the beginning.
post #4 of 4 Old 03-18-2013, 03:12 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thanks! I'll shoot pf24. I realize the purpose is more important than the frame rate.

Signature.
Reply Camcorders

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page