Panasonic T900--what to do with footage now (software, blu ray vs. dvd, etc)? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 35 Old 03-11-2013, 10:53 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Bill was most helpful about this time last year (wow time flies) in choosing a camcorder. Thank you again-hope you are around to help with this. So I bought the Panasonic T900. I haven't had a whole lot of time to use it (bought the camcorder for birth of daughter), staying very busy with work and her, but I am enjoying it so far!

So I finally used up all the space on my SD Card I was using and thought it's about time to save my footage. I do not want to lose any of the first year of my daughter's life! I'm just unsure where to start. Bill recommended HD Writer. I got off to a bad start with that as I kept getting a "display environment" message.

I see the files on the SD card. I don't know if I need to keep just the video or the other files that go with it (forgot the file type). I tried just simply burning a couple of the .mts video files to a DVD using Windwows Explorer. I put it in my PS3 (fatty), and it just froze my ps3 right at the start of playback.

So, what software are you guys using to burn? What do I do with the smaller files (not sure if they are thumbnail files or what)? Is it better to burn to DVD or blu ray?

I am trying to keep the original quality of the footage since the content is priceless to me (all of the first few months of my daughter's life). If that is too difficult to work with, I wouldn't mind losing a little quality. I'd like a format that is playable in other blu ray players as well.

Hope this isn't too much. I'm at work and don't have a lot of time to search other threads. Thanks in advance!

-Kevin
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 35 Old 03-11-2013, 11:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 128 Post(s)
Liked: 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by maverick22 View Post

Bill was most helpful about this time last year (wow time flies) in choosing a camcorder. Thank you again-hope you are around to help with this. So I bought the Panasonic T900. I haven't had a whole lot of time to use it (bought the camcorder for birth of daughter), staying very busy with work and her, but I am enjoying it so far!

So I finally used up all the space on my SD Card I was using and thought it's about time to save my footage. I do not want to lose any of the first year of my daughter's life! I'm just unsure where to start. Bill recommended HD Writer. I got off to a bad start with that as I kept getting a "display environment" message.

I see the files on the SD card. I don't know if I need to keep just the video or the other files that go with it (forgot the file type). I tried just simply burning a couple of the .mts video files to a DVD using Windwows Explorer. I put it in my PS3 (fatty), and it just froze my ps3 right at the start of playback.

So, what software are you guys using to burn? What do I do with the smaller files (not sure if they are thumbnail files or what)? Is it better to burn to DVD or blu ray?

I am trying to keep the original quality of the footage since its important is priceless to me (all of the first few months of my daughter's life). If that is too difficult to work with, I wouldn't mind losing a little quality. I'd like a format that is playable in other blu ray players as well.

Hope this isn't too much. I'm at work and don't have a lot of time to search other threads. Thanks in advance!

-Kevin

Everything you want to do you can do in HD Writer - make videos worth watching (trim, clip, merge) without losing quality, make Blurays, make DVD's with HD quality, make regular DVD's, save all the files to another sd card with no loss in quality. It is easy to use.

So your first task is to get that software to work.
post #3 of 35 Old 03-11-2013, 11:34 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by markr041 View Post

Everything you want to do you can do in HD Writer - make videos worth watching (trim, clip, merge) without losing quality, make Blurays, make DVD's with HD quality, make regular DVD's, save all the files to another sd card with no loss in quality. It is easy to use.

So your first task is to get that software to work.

Thanks, I actually got HD Writer working but I had to change monitor to 16-bit (instead of 32). It changed whole appearance of my display and did not like that. I may have to switch it to 16 just for the purpose of using HD Writer and switch it back to 32 when I'm done.

I didn't know if other software is better for what I'm trying to do (maybe that works better, faster, easier). Someone on other site suggested Hand Brake.

Also, is there a particular format you suggest converting to (mkv or mp4)? I'd like to be able to play a created DVD or blu ray in others' blu ray players, etc.

Thank you again for your reply .

-Kevin
post #4 of 35 Old 03-11-2013, 11:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked: 94
Kevin,

There are a couple of "Bill"s here. But, since I'm posting first, I'll take the compliment.

First, never let important video files accumulate without having a copy somewhere. It is the same for all personal and business files on any computer. Hardware fails. Shame on you!

Second, the only critical video files are the ones that end in .m2ts. The others ( like .moff, .pmpd, .tmb and .cont) are useless for everything except Panasonic's HDWriter software. Since HDWriter didn't work for you, there is a different direction. Still, if you can get HDWriter installed on your PC, it can be useful for certain things.

Third, put the SD card in a card reader of some sort. Some computers have them built in. Others need a cheap "USB Card Reader" plugged into a USB port. When you plug it in, it will appear in your computer as a disk drive. Once plugged in, use Windows Explorer to find the .m2ts files. They are the big ones and buried a few folders down. Use standard Windows copy techniques to make copies on your computer drive somewhere you can find them. Then make a back up of your computer files, however you normally do that. In my copy of Windows 7, Explorer will show the .m2ts file as a thumbnail. In Explorer, you should be able to double click any .m2ts file and it should try to play in something, perhaps Window Media Player. That will depend on the history of your computer and it's use. It could be Quicktime. With a primary set on your computer, a verification they function and a backup somewhere else, it is now OK to put the card back in the camera. Use the camera menu to reformat the card so you can take more video.

Fourth, if keeping the original quality is important, NEVER edit the original. Always make a copy, no matter what the editing software says about being non-distructive.

Fifth, for straight play with no editing there are a bunch of choices. Many Blu-Ray players will play a copy of the file if it is copied to the DVD as a data file --- just like making copies of Word files. This is not "burning to DVD", which is a lower definition structure that can have menus. Some BD players have SD slots or USB ports where you can put a copy of the original for play. My personal favorite is a think called a WD TV Live, where you put the copies of the originals on a hard disk, plug the box into the TV via HDMI and watch from the couch with a remote.

Sixth, if you do as I am suggesting, you will have abandoned the use of HDWriter. It will not function without having done all the work of transferring the files along with the tiny accessory files. Current video software is called a Non Linear Editor or "NLE". They are all non-destructive and operate by placing markers in a data base of your editing work and then make a new copy from that when it is time to "output" or "share" a project. My favorite is the $80 Adobe Premier Elements 11. There are about 30 on the market. Another favorite for many is Sony Vegas Home Studio for about the same price.

With Adobe PrE11 there is a learning curve, but it goes fast if you watch an online course or two. The idea is to load as many clips as you want into a sequence, trim the clips, add optional titles, etc and make final products. Those products can be computer files for YouTube, DVDs, Blu-Ray disks, something you can watch on your iPad or, a relatively unknown version, the "AVCHD Disk". The AVCHD Disk is a HD video that is recorded to ordinary and cheap DVD disks that will play on most Blu-Ray players.

This is a long post. Good luck. Let me know how it goes. I have subscribed so that I will not miss anything you write. Anyone brave enough to raise a kid should have help with video!

Best...
Bill (one of them)
post #5 of 35 Old 03-11-2013, 11:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Markr041 beat me to the reply button. I do not disagree with him. If you can get HDWriter running, you should do that. Then it should be a simple as plugging in your camera with a cord or inserting the SD card in the computer.

But, please, make sure you get the .m2ts files backed up somehow. Never have less than two copies of important files!

Bill
post #6 of 35 Old 03-11-2013, 11:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Thanks, I actually got HD Writer working but I had to change monitor to 16-bit (instead of 32). It changed whole appearance of my display and did not like that. I may have to switch it to 16 just for the purpose of using HD Writer and switch it back to 32 when I'm done.

I didn't know if other software is better for what I'm trying to do (maybe that works better, faster, easier). Someone on other site suggested Hand Brake.

Also, is there a particular format you suggest converting to (mkv or mp4)? I'd like to be able to play a created DVD or blu ray in others' blu ray players, etc.

Thank you again for your reply .

-Kevin
I'm confused by the monitor challenge and don't know what to tell you. But, if that is what is causing the display problem, it may not be HDWriter.

Handbrake is not what you want, unless you want a significant learning curve. It may be free and have usefulness, but not for this. It converts formats. I've not done it, but I think it's most popular function is to "rip" hollywood DVD content to your computer for play back so that you don't need the hard copy of the DVD.

Bill
post #7 of 35 Old 03-11-2013, 11:51 AM - Thread Starter

Hey Bill, good to hear from you! You probably don't remember me. Check out this old thread....http://www.avsforum.com/t/1403815/looking-to-buy-camcorder-suggestions-please

I am at work now and will print your reply for reference. I am normally good about backing up data. I just didn't know what to do in terms of those smaller files. I didn't want to delete them and mess up my main video. I was "scared" so I just didn't do anything. Now that my card is filled, I thought I better put some effort into finding out what in the world to do with my footage.

My wife and I were looking at the videos on the PC last night. The footage came out great. It was awesome going through our daughter's birth and first few months again! Thank you for your help. I went back into the thread I linked above to re-read your post about HD Writer. I'll have to play around with it now that I finally got the software to work (at about midnight last night).

Appreciate the replies!
post #8 of 35 Old 03-11-2013, 11:54 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsprague View Post

Markr041 beat me to the reply button. I do not disagree with him. If you can get HDWriter running, you should do that. Then it should be a simple as plugging in your camera with a cord or inserting the SD card in the computer.

But, please, make sure you get the .m2ts files backed up somehow. Never have less than two copies of important files!

Bill

I backed them up to an external hard drive last night and will get them on a DVD/blu ray (for viewing/storage) as soon as I can figure out HD Writer haha. I wouldn't mind paying for software as long as it's easy to use. Not sure if Adobe would be "too much" for me right now. I hardly have any spare time. I'm looking for something I can just put all the video clips onto a DVD or blu ray, and then watch. That way I'll have them saved, and of course I can view them. I don't have the time to try different editing/touching up/adding music/etc. Thanks again, Bill!

Any other backup suggestions other than an external hard drive and disc?

The other files (.moff, .pmpd, .tmb, and .cont)--should I keep those since HD Writer will probably work for me now? Any tips on backing those up and keeping them somewhat linked to their main filename? Seems like it'd be a pain to mess with those! Sorry I just don't want to delete anything that may be important.

-Kevin
post #9 of 35 Old 03-11-2013, 01:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Considering your available time and tools, I am trying to encourage you to get HDWriter working and spend $90 on an automated media player that uses you external backup drive as a TV connected video library. Everything else will take more time and the playback quality will be less.

To figure out HDWriter, I printed and reviewed the instruction book that is a .pdf on the disk. I don't know how one can figure out what it is both supposed to do and how to do it. Once you get the idea of what it can and can't do, it is pretty easy (and fast) to use.

HDWriter will make Blu-Rays and DVDs. Note that both, due to format requirements, will do some transcoding into new, lesser quality files. The real easy way to do what you want is to copy the .m2ts files to an external drive like you did. Plug the same backup drive into a Western Digital $90 WD TV Live and attach that to your TV. You do no editing, burning, transcoding or anything. You just watch the clips presented to you in a nice menu format on the TV with a remote. You already put copies on the external drive, so you only have to spend the $90 to save tons of time. Saving a few clips at a time to DVDs or Blu-Rays consumes lots of time because they are SLOW.

Backup suggestions? I use two separate drives in kind of an A/B plan. One week I use A and the next week I use B. I keep them in separate buildings! For software I use a very simple free utility from Microsoft called SyncToy. It looks at what has changed from the master on my computer and the external. Then it updates the external to match. It's fast because it only works on the differences, not the entire vast body of my life's work.

Those four other files are totally useless UNLESS you use HDWriter to originally transfer the videos from your card or camera. It knows what to do with them. Nobody on this forum (since I started here a couple years ago) as succeeded at putting ANY video into HDWriter that was not transferred with HDWriter itself -directly from the camera or SD card. Panasonic sees HDWriter as an important competitive advantage accessory to their camcorders to provide some special features for their cameras that require those four extra files.

If you have already copied and backed up your files and still want to use HDWriter, do it over with HDWriter. It will let you select a separate file location. When it all works to your satisfaction, you can delete the folders you did with something else.

Someday when you have lots of time and want to do some serious videos with a more complex and creative editing system, it will not use, care about our need those four files.

(I'm thinking of a video showing your daughter from birth to graduation for her 25th birthday!)

One last thought.... Since it took you a whole year to fill a card, put it in a safe deposit box and buy a new card every year. They are running less than $1 per GB for a Class 10 now. So for about $25 a year you get another level of permanent backup.

Hope I'm helping.

Bill
post #10 of 35 Old 03-11-2013, 02:55 PM

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 14
I do burn the X900M AVCHD2 60P 1080 video to BR.

Editing is done in Power Director 11, IT DOES SMART RENDER AVCHD2, other that transitions or titles etc of course.

After editing burning to 25GB BR is done with PD9fix, TsMuxer and Roxio.

Playback is on a 2 year old Samsung C5500, that will handle 60P after a firmware upgrade.

I am getting playback in pristine, ORIGINAL X900M video quality.

Eugene
post #11 of 35 Old 03-11-2013, 03:06 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

HDWriter will make Blu-Rays and DVDs. Note that both, due to format requirements, will do some transcoding into new, lesser quality files.

I'll have to try this to see what lesser quality looks like. Is it really noticeable or only slightly? You've been most helpful, Bill! I really appreciate the thought/effort you put into your replies.

If I'm going to spend close to $100 on something, would you suggest I go with the Premiere Elements or the WD TV Live? Like I said, right now I'm looking to be able to save my footage, simply (no music, neat transitions or anything). I really don't have much time to watch what I've recorded. Just am anxious to get the files on another secure device.
post #12 of 35 Old 03-11-2013, 03:16 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eugene157 View Post

I do burn the X900M AVCHD2 60P 1080 video to BR.

Editing is done in Power Director 11, IT DOES SMART RENDER AVCHD2, other that transitions or titles etc of course.

After editing burning to 25GB BR is done with PD9fix, TsMuxer and Roxio.

Playback is on a 2 year old Samsung C5500, that will handle 60P after a firmware upgrade.

I am getting playback in pristine, ORIGINAL X900M video quality.

Eugene

I'm sorry, what kind of editing is done in Power Director 11? Do I need to "edit" if all I want to do is put my original video files onto a disc to burn? I'm new to this and not familiar with the related software.

Thanks for the reply.
post #13 of 35 Old 03-11-2013, 03:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I'll have to try this to see what lesser quality looks like. Is it really noticeable or only slightly? You've been most helpful, Bill! I really appreciate the thought/effort you put into your replies.

If I'm going to spend close to $100 on something, would you suggest I go with the Premiere Elements or the WD TV Live? Like I said, right now I'm looking to be able to save my footage, simply (no music, neat transitions or anything). I really don't have much time to watch what I've recorded. Just am anxious to get the files on another secure device.

The burning to Blu-Ray by Blu-Ray standards creates a 1080i file from your 1080p video, if you recorded in that settin. Since 1080p is the highest quality setting, resulting in the biggest files, not everybody uses it. The visual difference on your TV may be unnoticeable unless you're filming fast action.

If your goal is NOT to develop the time consuming hobby and skill of video editing, buying any NLE editor is the wrong choice. Yes, Premier Elements has some wonderfully simple workflow options, but there is still work to make it flow. You will be sitting at your computer screen making things.

If you goal is to watch your video clips on a TV with no workflow at all, the WD TV Live is the best choice. It is like an old juke box. You put any music, video or photo file on a hard disk and it plays it. You will be sitting in front of your TV watching video clips, not making videos. It will even play clips in sequence, as if the clips were a continuous video. Note that there are two models. One has a built in HDD. I like the cheaper one that plays what is on my backup external HDD.

To repeat, the idea of the WD TV Live media player is that you spend what time you have getting your video clips (as you take them) onto your computer and then on your backup external drive. Now you can watch your clips on your computer OR your TV with no further time or work. The media player "kills two birds with one stone". It allows you to watch what you have from the shared comfort of the couch on the biggest screen you have AND double checks your backup to the external drive because you are using it.

If you don't want to spend any money at all, consider using your computer to send video to your TV, especially if it is a laptop. Most have an HDMI port that connects directly to the TV. Anything you see on the laptop screen is duplicated in full glory on the TV. I bought a 20 foot HDMI cord on Amazon for around $15. It works if I don't trip over the cord.

Again, I hope I am helping.

Bill
post #14 of 35 Old 03-11-2013, 04:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I'm sorry, what kind of editing is done in Power Director 11? Do I need to "edit" if all I want to do is put my original video files onto a disc to burn? I'm new to this and not familiar with the related software.

Thanks for the reply.
Eugene is on solid ground to recommend Power Director 11 because it is one of the favorites among the 30 NLEs on the market.

The trouble is that nobody I can find knows much about more than one. Some know a lot about one and a little about another. Some spend so much time with so many, they become computer geeks instead of videographers!

"Smart Rendering" is a version of transcoding that losslessly joins the parts of clips where no adjustments or effects have been applied. In other words, where it can, each frame in the output file can be a perfect duplicate of the input frame. But, the software is smart enough to make changes to the output frames where you have determined you want them.

In theory, Smart Rendering can make for better picture quality. The problem is that the output files have limited ways to view them. If you intend to put anything on YouTube or a DVD, etc, it will have to be processed somewhere, somehow. Notice that Eugene first does all the required "editing work" in PD11 (like triming, color grading, transitions and titles) and then sends it through three more programs called PD9fix, TsMuxer and Roxio to complete his workflow.

My assumption is Eugene is a very skilled editor. You say you're trying to just watch the clips "straight out of the box" with no editing and (I think) you mean on your HD TV. Eugene's goal is much different than yours.

One more thought (!) .... you didn't say what sort of Blu-Ray player you have. If it has a USB port on the front, you may be able to plug you backup external HDD into it and get similar results to the WD TV Live. Or, in some cases, Blu-Ray players like memory stick "Thumb Drives". My Sony is pretty good with most formats. My Samsung and Panasonic are more picky.

Again, I hope I am helping. It seem you have been asking how to get exact copies of your "as recorded" clips to display on your TV with the least amount of time or fuss. Every way I look at, playing them from your backup drive through a WD TV Live would be the way to do it. Buy one from a place (B&H Photo in New York?) with their 30 day satisfaction guarantee and try one. Send it back if you don't like it.

BTW, I have a WS TV Live and have almost two years of the clips I have not put through editing yet. When I get done typing (!) I can turn on the TV, grab the remote and watch those unedited clips by clicking the remote a few times. My goal is to gradually add creatively edit videos.

Again, I hope I am helping.

Bill
post #15 of 35 Old 03-11-2013, 04:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Maverick,

I think I may have missed the obvious solution!

Copy your SD card to your computer. Backup the computer. Buy a new SD Card for new video.

When you want to watch clips on your TV, put the old SD card in the camcorder. Plug the camcorder into the TV with the (supplied?) HDMI cord. Plug the power cable in to the wall or use the battery. (Both work.)

Select playback on the camera. Point the camera at the couch, grab the tiny remote that came with the camera and point it to the front of the camera, push buttons and watch your clips. No money spent and you get the very highest quality playback.

If I recall, you get a menu on the TV organized by date of recording.

Bill
post #16 of 35 Old 03-11-2013, 04:24 PM - Thread Starter

Wow, once again, thank you very much for your input, Bill. I'm sorry I thought I stated I have a ps3 (old not the slim). It does have 2 usb slots in the front. I tried last night to view the DVD I created (thru Windows explorer Burn process), put that DVD in the ps3, and my ps3 froze. It was really late last night (and boy am I paying for it today-sleepy), so I ended my trials and headed to sleep.

I'm wondering if I can plug my external HD or USB stick into the ps3 and get it to work. I know what I'm doing tonight biggrin.gif. I will also see what I can do with the HD Writer software.

Your advice does sound good about the WD TV Live. I will look into that. Just spent some money on an ipod kit for my car this past weekend, and wife was not too happy about it. She then went onto say that'd be my anniversary gift haha. I am at work still and will have to read up on these replies when I have more time to concentrate and apply.

Thanks so much again!
post #17 of 35 Old 03-11-2013, 04:39 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Maverick,

I think I may have missed the obvious solution!

Copy your SD card to your computer. Backup the computer. Buy a new SD Card for new video.

When you want to watch clips on your TV, put the old SD card in the camcorder. Plug the camcorder into the TV with the (supplied?) HDMI cord. Plug the power cable in to the wall or use the battery. (Both work.)

Select playback on the camera. Point the camera at the couch, grab the tiny remote that came with the camera and point it to the front of the camera, push buttons and watch your clips. No money spent and you get the very highest quality playback.

If I recall, you get a menu on the TV organized by date of recording.

Bill

For this method are you saying keep buying new SD cards once they fill up (similar to when you said put it in a safety box)? I just feel those little SD cards are difficult to keep up with. I honestly like the idea (if I can ever do it) of just storing clips on a DVD or blu ray disc. This is exactly what I was afraid of when I purchased a camcorder. What am I going to do with the clips once I finally shoot some video? Can't believe it can be this difficult to keep the original quality of a clip, copy & paste it onto a blank disc, and then play it. Maybe I'm just making a bigger deal out of it than it should be haha.

Once again, can't thank you enough, Bill!
post #18 of 35 Old 03-11-2013, 05:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

..... I honestly like the idea (if I can ever do it) of just storing clips on a DVD or blu ray disc. ...... Can't believe it can be this difficult to keep the original quality of a clip, copy & paste it onto a blank disc, and then play it. .....
It might be. Some Blu-Ray players do fine with playing AVCHD formats copied as data on a DVD. It depends entirely on the DVD player. Some do it well and some don't. The difference is related to the adoption of AVCHD 2.0 that included the 1080p60 format.

If you used default settings for your camcorder your files will probably be 1080i and were part of the earlier AVCHD 1.0. Copy one or two clips to a DVD, put it in your player and see what happens. On my Sony BD player it worked the last time I tried.

The straight copy to DVD process is pretty quick compared to the "burn a Blu-Ray" process and the quality stays original.

Bill
post #19 of 35 Old 03-11-2013, 06:59 PM - Thread Starter

I just put a video clip onto a USB stick, then put that into my other blu ray player, which is a Sony (NOT the ps3). It played fine no problem. On another note, it wouldn't even show a .jpg file that was on the thumb drive! Haha I thought that would be the easy part.

My ps3 is still freezing. Thinking about all the different options given to me today. Will take time to play with HD Writer in the next few days also. Not tonight I'm afraid. Once again thanks for everyone's help!

Edit: Did an update on ps3. Hope the freezing is done. Put that same usb stick into the ps3 and it was able to play the video clip. Same result with the .jpg pics though (won't recognize). About to call it a night...
post #20 of 35 Old 03-11-2013, 07:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I just put a video clip onto a USB stick, then put that into my other blu ray player, which is a Sony (NOT the ps3). It played fine no problem. On another note, it wouldn't even show a .jpg file that was on the thumb drive! Haha I thought that would be the easy part.

My ps3 is still freezing. Thinking about all the different options given to me today. Will take time to play with HD Writer in the next few days also. Not tonight I'm afraid. Once again thanks for everyone's help!

Edit: Did an update on ps3. Hope the freezing is done. Put that same usb stick into the ps3 and it was able to play the video clip. Same result with the .jpg pics though (won't recognize). About to call it a night...
Long ago there was a guy here that kept trying to play 1080p60 files copied to disks on his PS3. (I think his name was Steve Cebu). 1080p60 files record at variable bit rate of 28 Mbps in the TM900. (Maybe it is MBps, I forget.) The variable part mean that there can be spikes. Steve said he measured the spikes as high as 40 (I think). Those spikes messed up his PS3. I don't know if he ever resolved it.

My Sony BD player is 1000 miles away right now, so I can't verify this. But, memory says that when I tried it, 1080p60 files copied to a DVD played on it. At the time I didn't have a Blu-Ray burner. In my RV I have a new Samsung BD player and a Blu-Ray burner in my laptop. I tried copying a half dozen .m2ts files to a Blu-Ray disk. The Samsung read the disk, offered to play the files and then rejected them because the frame rate of 60 was not supported. I don't think my Samsung supports AVCHD 2.0!

Your USB stick success suggests you should try plugging in your external HDD back up drive where you already have copies of your files. It may work as your media player.

Bill
post #21 of 35 Old 03-12-2013, 08:00 AM - Thread Starter

Wow, I'm glad you told me about the "spikes" possibly ruining the ps3. I have never heard of that (that's not saying much though).

Just for kicks I tried that same DVD in my Sony blu ray player (same DVD that wouldn't play well in ps3), and it played great! I do not know the model of that Sony blu ray player, but it was just on sale around Christmas time so I bought it for another room. Wonder why that would play the DVD with .mts original files with no problem, and the ps3 struggled. Figured the ps3 would be capable of handling much more due to its ability to handle games and such.

Maybe the Sony blu ray player is newer and is capable of handling the files better. I am going to buy some blank blu ray discs later this week, and try burning some of my original .mts video clips onto the blank blu rays. If that works, I think I will have my backup/viewing footage problem solved! I wish the ps3 would handle the disc, but maybe the new Playstation coming out next Christmas will handle it no problem.

Thoughts?
post #22 of 35 Old 03-12-2013, 10:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

......Wonder why that would play the DVD with .mts original files with no problem, and the ps3 struggled.....Thoughts?

Everything I think I know was learned here on this forum, so it might not be quite correct! Here goes....

When I started reading on this forum, I had a brand new Panasonic SDT750 3D 1080p60 camcorder. It was close to "cutting edge". It's default settings were good, but 1080p60 was special. A couple years later, 1080p is almost boring. It is "so yesterday"!

Digital video has been around a little while. Somehow Panasonic and Sony felt a need for a new format six or eight years ago. As we were beginning to buy HD TVs there was a war between corporations over the disk playback format. It was a fun fight to watch because few consumers were going to buy in while there was two formats. Sony and Panasonic won with "Blu-Ray" while Microsoft and Toshiba lost with "HD DVD". Note that Canon and Apple didn't seem to participate much.

I assume that since Sony and Panasonic had an interest in camcorders, including multi-thousand dollar pro models, they worked at a a format called AVCHD that is very related to the Blu-Ray structure. The first version was simply called "AVCHD" and included the 1920 by 1080 resolution, but only as "interlaced". That is why my, and I think your, camcorder has a special button for 1080p, or "progressive". The camcorders are AVCHD compliant and 1080p is an optional, non-compliant feature. My latest Sony camera has 1080p60 as an ordinary menu choice.

About a year ago, plus or minus, the widely existing 1080p60 was quietly included in the "AVCHD 2.0" standard that is still owned by Sony and Panasonic. Now, to be "AVCHD compliant" a device with the "AVCHD" trademark on the box should include 1080p60.

So, my theory is that your "old" PS3 was "AVCHD compliant" (1.0) and your new Sony Blu-Ray player is "AVCHD compliant" (2.0).

This same progression of adopting the AVCHD format has taken place in software, but even a little slower. I've been through three annual versions of Adobe Premier Elements and one version of Sony Vegas Home Studio. It was not until the latest versions did they work 100% with AVCHD (2.0). It is one of the reasons that HDWriter was so important. Without it, editing 1080p60 on a home computer was limited. For me, HDWriter is now less important. I don't follow Apple software too closely, but their adoption of AVCHD has been a little behind and has required "work arounds".

To defend the software publishers, the AVCHD 2.0 1080p60 files are huge, compared to earlier formats. It takes the current Intel i5 and i7 4 core processor to make crunching those files fun. So, if I was going to promise my software would work with 1080p, I would wait until a few consumers had capable computers too.

The HD TV, Blu-Ray, AVCHD 1080p60 standards progression has enticed me to spend a lot of money! Six years ago I bought an expensive Panasonic 42 inch TV and Panasonic Blu-Ray player. It won't play 1080p60. I now have 3 HD TVs, 3 Blu-Ray players, 3 1080p60 cameras, a laptop with a Blu-Ray burner and a WD TV Live because it will play 1080p60.

Now that the market and I are fairly well saturated and happy with the current version of HD TV, Blu-Ray, AVCHD and 1080p, the consumer electronics industry is starting over. Some call it "4K" and it has been recently branded "Ultra TV". I have enjoyed watching the market adopt HD over the last decade. In another decade I will be lucky to see well enough to watch TV! In fact I may need 4x the resolution to see anything on the tube.

My current plan is to use significant quantities of my retirement years learning digital media of any sort that interests my granddaughters. When my son was your daughter's age I used to sneak into my darkroom and play with film and chemicals!

Bill
post #23 of 35 Old 03-12-2013, 10:42 AM - Thread Starter

Wow, thanks for the explanation, Bill! I can learn a lot from reading your posts on here. Every time I read one I feel a little bit smarter haha. I'm looking forward to buying some blank blu rays in the next few days and burning my .mts files to them. I will make multiple copies of the important ones.

Will it do any harm to rename the file, and then burn it to a blu ray? I noticed on the Sony blu ray player this morning, it actually shows a file name (from the little data disc DVD I created). It would be helpful to at least know what I'm watching ahead of time if possible.

I'm also looking forward to working with HD Writer some--probably won't get to 'til this weekend though.

Thanks again, Bill!
post #24 of 35 Old 03-12-2013, 11:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

......Will it do any harm to rename the file, and then burn it to a blu ray?
Quote:
It shouldn't. Just leave the .m2ts part untouched. I do it frequently for clip copies I intend to use for editing as well as unedited clips I was to identify on my WD TV Live media player.

Bill
post #25 of 35 Old 03-12-2013, 11:10 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Quote:

......Will it do any harm to rename the file, and then burn it to a blu ray?
Quote:
It shouldn't. Just leave the .m2ts part untouched. I do it frequently for clip copies I intend to use for editing as well as unedited clips I was to identify on my WD TV Live media player.

Bill

Forgive my ignorance, but that's (the .m2ts part) the file I was asking about renaming. If you leave that part untouched, what are you saying is okay to rename?
post #26 of 35 Old 03-12-2013, 01:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Forgive my ignorance, but that's (the .m2ts part) the file I was asking about renaming. If you leave that part untouched, what are you saying is okay to rename?

"20130220101832.m2ts" or "05-04-2011_171001.m2ts" can be renamed to "Little Sally's Birthday.m2ts". Or, maybe "Little _Sally's_ Birthday.m2ts"

Bill
post #27 of 35 Old 03-12-2013, 02:17 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

"20130220101832.m2ts" or "05-04-2011_171001.m2ts" can be renamed to "Little Sally's Birthday.m2ts". Or, maybe "Little _Sally's_ Birthday.m2ts"

Bill

Gotcha! On the same page then, thanks! I was thinking at first you were saying only rename one of those small/unncessary associated files (forgot the file types now).
post #28 of 35 Old 03-13-2013, 07:17 AM - Thread Starter

Well, I saw Best Buy had blank blu ray discs (BD-R) on sale so I bought some. Got home and figured out I do NOT have a blu ray writer/burner. I could have sworn mine came with one. It does play blu ray movies though. I like the idea of backing up video clips to my external hard drive AND having a copy on blu ray discs.

I think my next step will be researching/buying a blu ray burner/writer. Any suggestions?

I guess I better make sure my actual Sony blu ray player and/or ps3 plays BD-R discs before I go to all this trouble.

Edit: It appears my Sony S580 does play BD-R! Also as I mentioned it plays the original Panny files (.mts, .m2ts).
http://store.sony.com/p/3D-Blu-ray-Wi-Fi/en/p/BDPS580#specifications

So I should be good to go as far as putting my original files onto a BD-R disc and watching on this blu ray player, right? Just checked, I guess it does not play BD-R DL discs though (50GB ones). Do most newer blu ray players play the higher capacity discs?

Thanks as always!
post #29 of 35 Old 03-13-2013, 08:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Blu-Ray burners, DL disks and a specific model of Sony BD player are beyond my personal experience and I can't help much. I have the single Blu-Ray burner that came in my laptop, an older Sony BD player and have never tried a DL disk. I can't even tell you what brand of BD burner that is installed in my laptop.

Bill
post #30 of 35 Old 03-13-2013, 09:44 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Blu-Ray burners, DL disks and a specific model of Sony BD player are beyond my personal experience and I can't help much. I have the single Blu-Ray burner that came in my laptop, an older Sony BD player and have never tried a DL disk. I can't even tell you what brand of BD burner that is installed in my laptop.

Bill

Thanks, Bill, does your older Sony BD player play your "burned discs" fine?
Reply Camcorders

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page