what to use to play AVCHD videos on TV? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 16 Old 03-12-2013, 12:19 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi,

I have over 100 hours of home video shot with Canon HF100 in AVCHD format, that I have backed up to external hard drive. What may be used to play them on TV? I have used the ImageMixer software that came with the camcorder to watch some of them on computer, but it's often jumpy.

thanks,

Jason
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 03-12-2013, 01:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Just get a PS3 or wait for the PS4. Or you can still use you computer and download the Splash player. http://mirillis.com/en/products/splash.html The playback should be perfect as long as your computer is decent since Splash is very popular.
post #3 of 16 Old 03-12-2013, 03:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked: 98
I disagree with Paul, but only a little!

Some have reported that AVCHD 1080p60 can have bit rate peaks high enough for the PS3 to stall. And to repeat, I said "some" not "all".

I don't have a PS3, nor will I get a PS4.

Some have written they get playable results plugging their external HDDs into the USB port on the front of the latest Sony Blu-Ray players. Older ones and other brands, not so much.

The $90 Western Digital "WD TV Live" is a box that some think competes with the higher rated Roku. Although it does some streaming, the WD TV Live is made for playing your video on your external HDD directly to your TV with a remote. I have the last version, not the newest, and it will play any video, photo or music file I have with no fuss directly to my TV.

You plug in a power supply cube, connect to the TV with an HDMI and connect the HDD to the small box with a USB. That's it.

There is a higher priced version with a built in 1TB drive, but I prefer to move the HDD to my computer to copy files at USB 3.0 speeds.

Bill
post #4 of 16 Old 03-12-2013, 04:53 PM
AVS Special Member

The camcorder he has doesn't shoot in 1080 60p. The PS3 is flawless for AVCHD files in 60i.

I know fully well how the PS3 is for 1080 60p and to help the issue, it's best to make sure their isn't any picture enhancements but it still wont be 100 percent perfect. As for the PS4, it's capable of 2160p videos so I'm assuming it'll have absolutely no issues what so ever doing 1080 60p.
post #5 of 16 Old 03-12-2013, 08:20 PM
AVS Special Member

My mistake.

Does a PS3 have a USB port for the external HDD that already has his videos loaded?

Or, does one have to copy everything to DVDs or Blu-Rays?

He says he has 100 hours worth on HDD. That could be some work to put all that on disk.

Bill
post #6 of 16 Old 03-12-2013, 09:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked: 75
I load my 1080p60 videos on a USB flash drive in a folder titled "VIDEO" and play them on my PS3. I would think an external USB HDD should work the same way.
post #7 of 16 Old 03-13-2013, 02:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Theirs actually a setting on the PS3 that allows you to view all of the hard drive's contents so it doesn't have to be in a video folder. The biggest issue is the fact that the hard drive had to have been already formatted to FAT32. If it was, you'll have no issue. If it wasn't you'd have to transfer all the files to another hard drive, re-format the hard drive that you'll use for the PS3 and then put all the files back. One issue with FAT32 is the 4GB file size limit. Chances are, that camcorder is splitting up the files into 4 gig chunks anyway so it shouldn't be an issue.

The PS3 is definitely a pricy way but at least you get a BluRay player and a game system as a bonus.
post #8 of 16 Old 03-13-2013, 08:51 AM - Thread Starter

Thank you for your responses. "WD TV Live" sounds like a good option, is that a dedicated streaming device? I don't play video games, so PS3/4 maybe an overkill. speaking of blue-ray players, I'm also looking to buy one. Would the Panasonic BDT-220 also plug-n-play AVCHD videos on External HD? I posted the question the official thread of that player, but it was soon buried in that long thread.
post #9 of 16 Old 03-13-2013, 09:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by seafan View Post

Thank you for your responses. "WD TV Live" sounds like a good option, is that a dedicated streaming device? I don't play video games, so PS3/4 maybe an overkill. speaking of blue-ray players, I'm also looking to buy one. Would the Panasonic BDT-220 also plug-n-play AVCHD videos on External HD? I posted the question the official thread of that player, but it was soon buried in that long thread.
I don't know what you mean by "dedicated". The WD TV Live will, if connected to the internet, stream Netflix and some others. I have never used mine for that. I only use it for playing what is on my external HDD.

The last time I looked, Panasonic BD players featured a SD card slot and not a USB port. So you could not plug in an external HDD.

Sony BD players featured a USB and not an SD card slot. The Panasonic might be more convienent for those that want to instantly watch video they have just recorded. The Sony would be more versitle. A cheap USB card reader would provide the same function.

Read the specs carefully. Buy from a place that will take it back if it does not meet your expectations.
post #10 of 16 Old 03-13-2013, 11:30 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsprague View Post

The last time I looked, Panasonic BD players featured a SD card slot and not a USB port. So you could not plug in an external HDD.

Read the specs carefully. Buy from a place that will take it back if it does not meet your expectations.

here is the "data file" of Panasonic BDT-220 from amazon:

http://g-ecx.images-amazon.com/images/G/01/electronics/Cat500/Panasonic/2012/specsheets/BDT220._V137636213_.pdf

it shows a front USB Slot "for playback" - not sure if that means plug-n-play of HDD?
post #11 of 16 Old 03-13-2013, 01:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by seafan View Post

it shows a front USB Slot "for playback" - not sure if that means plug-n-play of HDD?

At the Panasonic Store:

http://shop.panasonic.com/shop/model/dmp-bdt220

Look most of the way down the page. It says:

"External HDD Playback
Easily enjoy stored content
The 2012 Blu-ray Disc™ Players and Home Theaters are compatible with NTFS (NT File System) format external hard disk drives, so you can enjoy music (FLAC, MP3), photos (JPEG, MPO), and camcorder video content (AVCHD, MP4) archived on an external HDD."
post #12 of 16 Old 03-13-2013, 02:16 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsprague View Post

At the Panasonic Store:

http://shop.panasonic.com/shop/model/dmp-bdt220

Look most of the way down the page. It says:

"External HDD Playback
Easily enjoy stored content
The 2012 Blu-ray Disc™ Players and Home Theaters are compatible with NTFS (NT File System) format external hard disk drives, so you can enjoy music (FLAC, MP3), photos (JPEG, MPO), and camcorder video content (AVCHD, MP4) archived on an external HDD."

Awesome! Thanks for finding the info!
post #13 of 16 Old 03-13-2013, 02:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Bummer, their goes a potential PS3 costumer.

Joking aside, the Panasonic BDT-220, seams like an excellent affordable choice since it only costs $80. I still remember all the complaints over the pricing of Blu-Ray players when it first came out. It's definitely remarkable seeing that you can now get a Blu-Ray player for $80 that streams services such as Netflix, Amazon, YouTube, etc and can be used with an external hard drive.
post #14 of 16 Old 03-13-2013, 03:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked: 75
I also have the Micca Speck 1080p Full-HD Ultra Portable Digital Media Player For USB Drives and SD/SDHC Cards that I purchased on Amazon last December that plays 1080p AVCHD up to 30fps. It plays my 1080p60 AVCHD videos but the audio track is out of sync. It works with USB ext HDDs up to 2TB and NTFS .I paid $39.95 and I see today it's $49.95 but has been as low as $29.95 on Oct 15 2012. I may shoot some 1080p24 AVCHD videos with my Sony NEX-VG900 and see if the audio tracks are in sync.
post #15 of 16 Old 03-13-2013, 04:12 PM

I have a wd nas and a Sony blu ray on the network........cheap 100$ bluray I have had great luck viewing my avchd video of my sons hockey games without stutter or any othe video anomalies..... Cheap easy way to view the files....honestly my biggest problem is editing since all my computers are apple based and I have yet to find a decent apple os editing program for avchd that wasn't a million dollars or terrible!
post #16 of 16 Old 03-13-2013, 04:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DLitwack View Post

...honestly my biggest problem is editing since all my computers are apple based and I have yet to find a decent apple os editing program for avchd that wasn't a million dollars or terrible!

$80 for Adobe Premier Elements. Version 11 has full AVCHD 2.0 1080p60 functionality. Mac or PC. If you buy in the box you get a disk for each. If you download, you get one or the other. Free 30 day trial. Free 8 part training video at muvipix.com. Terrific, in depth $25 dollar course at lynda.com. You need links?
Reply Camcorders

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page