AVS Forum banner

Is my camera used?

385 views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  markr041 
#1 ·
I recently got a Sony HDR-CX580V from a pretty well-known online store and when I oped it, something seemed a little "off" Nothing was missing or broken but I was reminded of an old comedy routine that said "The other day I woke up and noticed everything in my apartment had been stolen and replaced with an exact replica."

Long story short, I think they may have sold me a used camera as new. Is there a lifetime record-time clock that I can access to see if it had been used previously?

Thanks a lot!

#3 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by West4D  /t/1463203/is-my-camera-used#post_23077938

I recently got a Sony HDR-CX580V from a pretty well-known online store and when I oped it, something seemed a little "off" Nothing was missing or broken but I was reminded of an old comedy routine that said "The other day I woke up and noticed everything in my apartment had been stolen and replaced with an exact replica."

Long story short, I think they may have sold me a used camera as new. Is there a lifetime record-time clock that I can access to see if it had been used previously?

Thanks a lot!

Many of these stores have a liberal return policy and technically they're not supposed to resell returns as new, but apparently they do. I returned a camcorder once three times because it was obvious each time it was used; like you said the way it was packed was most obvious.

I guess it's not enforced, but apparently Amazon plays by the rules. I'm not sure if it's the state they operate out of/laws and/or the size of the company but they have a very active "Amazon Warehouse" that offers products at discount due to returns.

You'll see other popular, but not as big as Amazon, stores have a used section but the selection is small.

If you first turned on the camcorder and it didn't ask you to set the time, it was previously used, although that can be manually reset to ask for the time even it was used. If you charged the battery before ever putting it in the camera and it charged to full very quickly, it was likely used. The first charge takes awhile, the time as stated in the manual.

If you discover it's been used, you could return it and say "previously used please send a new unit". Or get a refund and buy from Amazon.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.