HD Writer 2.1 versus newer versions and where to fond them - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 03-16-2013, 07:31 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Please help

I bought a Panasonic HDC-TM700 a couple of years ago.
However i lost the HD ae writer CD and my laptop crashed.
I don't remember which version of HD ae Writer i had - however i managed to find a 2.0 version online but this fails to recognised any of the HD videos i currently have on the internal and external memory?

1 - Do i need to have the same version of HD Writer or will any up to date version work? Where can i find them.
2 - Please advise on best way to play the files when transferred to laptop so that i can view them at best quality.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 03-16-2013, 07:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Liked: 97
Panasonic seems to match the versions of HDWriter with their cameras. I tried to get an upgrade for 2.6 that came with a SDT750. Panasonic refused to give it to me or sell it to me. They said it wouldn't work. The only way I can think of to get a copy is to find someone with the same camera and borrow the disk.

That said, you don't need it nearly as much as when the camera was new. The reason is that editing software has caught up with the AVCHD and 1080p60 formats. My personal favorite is Adobe Premier Elements 11. Since 11 came out, I have rarely used HDWriter. Others like Sony Vegas Home Studio 12. Both are under $100. Both have free 30 day download trials.

Premier Elements has a menu choice to retrieve video clips directly from the camera. I don't know how well it works, because I've not tried it.

If you only want to view your video clips on your computer, you need little. Look for files that end in .m2ts on your SD card. They will be buried a few layers down. Those are the video clips. All the other little files are unnecessary and are only used by the camera and HDWriter. Once you've copied the .m2ts files to your computer, you should be able to watch them by double clicking on them and they will load into whatever default video player you have.

If you had used HDWriter to transfer the files, it would put those .m2ts files in a nice file structure organized by date. You can do that by hand with Windows Explorer.

If your default windows player is balky and unsatisfactory, try downloading the free Splash Lite. If you have a newer Blu-Ray player you should be able to copy the .mt2s files to either a disk, thumb drive, HDD, or SD card. It depends on the Blu-Ray player brand, ports and vintage.

Once you get the .m2ts files off your SD card, you can put it back in the camera and reformat it. Then, somewhere in the menu should be an option to transfer your internal memory to the SD card. You should also be able to see the files if you plug the camcorder into a USB port. The computer "should" see the camcorder as a generic external drive.

Good luck. Remember that Mac owners can't use HDWriter at all and most of them get by fine.

Bill
post #3 of 8 Old 03-18-2013, 05:52 PM
Advanced Member

You can use HD Writer 4.1.
post #4 of 8 Old 03-18-2013, 08:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mariner888 View Post

You can use HD Writer 4.1.
How do I get it?
post #5 of 8 Old 03-19-2013, 06:56 AM
Advanced Member

No luck finding 4.1? That's strange.
What about 5.00.13.1049? Comes with 3D features.
post #6 of 8 Old 03-23-2013, 03:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 33
I remember finding a version for the V700 online and getting very pissed off that it wasn't allowing me to edit my AC90 files. Come on Panasonic! Don't play these type of games by locking the software only to a certain camcorder. Luckily software such as this exists that can be used with any camcorder http://tmpgenc.pegasys-inc.com/en/product/tmsr4.html for people who wants to edit their footage without quality loss and as mentioned, Splash Lite is good for people who want's to playback their footage on a computer. http://mirillis.com/en/products/splash.html

Anyway, you'd think Panasonic should put all versions online. The least they could have done is to have download links for people who registered their cameras and are signed in.
post #7 of 8 Old 03-23-2013, 07:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulo Teixeira View Post

..........Anyway, you'd think Panasonic should put all versions online. The least they could have done is to have download links for people who registered their cameras and are signed in.

You are absolutely right.
post #8 of 8 Old 03-24-2013, 07:13 AM

Liked: 11
I'm using AE 3.0. I can probably create an .iso image if anybody needs, let me know.
Reply Camcorders

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page