Premiere Elements 11 vs. Vegas 11 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 23 Old 03-16-2013, 06:00 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Ok, Vegas that I use is a Pro version, but I am not comparing pro features, all I am doing here is comparing basic features, and cheap Vegas versions work the same as Pro in this regard.

Why I am doing this? First, bsprague is recommending it to everyone asking for an NLE, so I wanted to see what is the fuss about it. Also, in my son's school they use Macs and some Mac software to make videos, and I've heard that Premiere looks the closest to iMovie or whatever other Mac offers. I thought that if my son decided to do some video editing, it better to look similar at home and at school. I am running it on Windows of course.

Anyway, I did not go too far with the PE11, because I started to hate it from the beginning.

The app is a freaking dog. Everything is slow. Custom-painted menus and dialogs takes ages to show up and close. I need to explicitly close drop-down menu.

MOV files from my digicam cannot play at full speed, the app hinted me to "render" them. I guess it is Mac-speak for intermediate video format. Even after I rendered them, video quality sucked, because the intermediate format was apparently not for use for final editing, but only for preview, macroblock-fest! Audio also got screwed up, after 5 seconds or so from the beginning of a clip a small segment of audio loops, sounds goofy, and I could do nothing about it.

Strangely, AVCHD files played better, almost at realtime speed without "rendering", and no problems with audio.

The stupidest thing about PE so far is project setup. I could not find how I could change project properties. If I selected 720p24, that is it, it sticks. If I want to change it to 30p I need to create another project and select an appropriate template. Why I can not change it!?!? Same with templates, they are predefined, and I cannot choose frame size, frame rate, scanning type, etc individually, I have to choose from presets. Lame, stupid, idiotic. What if the app does not have a needed preset? Like the free Premiere Pro 2.0 that you can download from Adobe, it has only handful of presets and you cannot create your own. The app treats its users as idiots who don't know what they do. Or maybe the app simply is hand-adjusted to certain presets and cannot work outside of this envelope. Nothing has changed in this area since 2005 Premiere 2.0.

This Adobe's video http://tv.adobe.com/watch/learn-premiere-elements/creating-a-new-project/ tells exactly that: you need to specify correct project properties before dragging clips into the project. Uh, uh, PE is so smart that it can automatically change project properties if you use video with say a different aspect ratio. Cool. But it would be million times better if it allowed doing it manually, whenever I feel like it. PE's mantra is use the same project settings as media settings. What if I have different media types with diferent resolution and frame rate? The video took time to explain how important to set project properties because you are screwed if you don't do it correctly. No way to change it later. Now I see why this software needs tutorials - to help you avoiding screwups. Unfixable screw-ups. Screw-ups that are preprogrammed into unflexible software.

So far, I played 15 minutes with this steaming pile of crap and called it a day. Maybe I will try tomorrow just for the kicks of it.

I understand that bsprague have issues with Sony after his legit Vegas copy stopped working, and a slow dog PE is better than a non-working Vegas, but for anyone else who does not hold a gripe against Sony my advice is: TRY VEGAS FIRST. Both apps have trial versions, but PE gave me more grief not wanting to install on my Windows 7, than Vegas ever did.

Vegas Platinum has almost everything needed for efficient editing except for levels monitor, so you have to eye your levels. Other than that, for the same price you get a fast app that does not require "rendering", that works with most video formats you throw at it natively, which is very fast even with 1080p60 AVCHD, it can utilize Nvidia GPU (PE cannot, more expensive PPro can use GPU acceleration). Well, maybe if you have an i7 CPU then PE will work reasonably fast, but Vegas will work even faster.

The reasons for choosing PE over Vegas? PE may look closer to its Mac counterparts. Also it may accept some Adobe plugins that would not work with Vegas, although I am not sure about that.

P.S. Don't even think about Corel Video Studio or whatever else they have, even if you can get it for free. It is much worse than PE.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 Old 03-16-2013, 07:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 92
I have no beef with Vegas other than it stopped working and it took customer support 30 days to answer a request for help, which didn't solve the problem.

On edit: I really liked Vegas a lot while I had it on my computer. As far as I can tell, my problem was a very rare tangle with my system registry where Vegas thought I was not a properly registered user.

Mean while I will try to read what you wrote and provide answers where I can.

On my computer PrE is not a dog, but what can I say.

Bill
post #3 of 23 Old 03-17-2013, 04:41 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I have tried the trial versions of both NLEs and my only real concern is that with Vegas Movie Studio, I cannot burn an AVCHD DVD. Whatever else the differences between the two programs are, the inability to burn AVCHD DVDs is a deal breaker at this point, for me.
post #4 of 23 Old 03-17-2013, 06:59 AM
AVS Special Member

" bsprague is recommending it to everyone asking for an NLE"

I would prefer to say that I report success using PrE11. Lately (when the subject comes up) I have been writing that I think the two most popular NLEs on this forum are Vegas Home Studio and Premier Elements. Then I say my favorite is the one I have been able to learn because the training resources are so abundant, especially the video based tutorials from muvipix.com, lynda.com and "Adobe TV".

I am convinced that a beginner needs to see it work on his own screen. If you are not a beginner and already know video editing, and your way around a NLE, I would not suggest change. That would be a waste of time.

Please note that I started a couple years ago with ZERO understanding of how to make a video. I wasted time trying to evaluate a few different NLEs. When I found the lynda.com tutorials my learning rate improved dramatically. The learning resources made it a pleasure to learn quickly.

On Edit: lynda.com seems to have chosen not to include any Vegas training in their 1500 courses. I think muvipix.com does have some Vegas tutorials.

Bill (aka, bsprague)
post #5 of 23 Old 03-17-2013, 07:02 AM
AVS Special Member

"I thought that if my son decided to do some video editing, it better to look similar at home and at school"

If you buy the box, you get a license for two computers and separate disks for a Mac or PC. You can install one on a Mac and the other on a PC and you are within the Adobe license agreement. Note that they are not exactly the same. There are a few more tools and features on the PC version.

On edit: PrE has two modes. "Quick" is a simplified mode that might be related to the iMove Ungerman's kid might use. The "Expert" mode is beefed up with a "real" timeline and may relate better to users of "pro" NLEs. You can switch back and forth from within a project.

Bill (aka, bsprague)
post #6 of 23 Old 03-17-2013, 07:23 AM

Liked: 10
I just want to share my experience with the tools I tried recently to author and burn AVCHD with NO re-encoding to DVD media.
My files from Sony CX700 camcorder, 1080 60p, 28Mbps.
1. PrE11 - does not allow to achieve it without re-encoding. Even I use 1080 60p profile it does re-encodes the video. It burns 1080 60p but re-encodes.
2. Nero 12 Platinum - same story, same results, it is trying to re-encode video to 18Mbps if trying to burn directly to DVD, if AVCHD saved on HDD, and burnt after to DVD, it does not play on BD player.
3. PD10/11, after fixing with VideoRedo or FixPD9 type of tools is either not acceptable by multiAVCHD or plays not smoothly on BD player.
4. None of Sony Vegas products work for this.
5. TMPGEnc Authoring Works 5 - does not allow to get this either.
6. Roxio Creator NXT Pro - does not allow to get this either.

The only tool worked for me so far was: TMPGEnc MPEG Smart Renderer 4 (Big Thanks goes to this forum member markr041 for pointing this out).
But no menus and created video is BDAV format. But it works, and works great!
post #7 of 23 Old 03-17-2013, 07:54 AM
AVS Special Member

"The stupidest thing about PE so far is project setup. I could not find how I could change project properties. If I selected 720p24, that is it, it sticks. If I want to change it to 30p I need to create another project and select an appropriate template. Why I can not change it!?!? Same with templates, they are predefined, and I cannot choose frame size, frame rate, scanning type, etc individually, I have to choose from presets. Lame, stupid, idiotic. What if the app does not have a needed preset? .....This Adobe's video http://tv.adobe.com/watch/learn-premiere-elements/creating-a-new-project/ tells exactly that: you need to specify correct project properties before dragging clips into the project. "

Your link to the training video is for Version 9. I started with that, upgraded to 10 so that I could make AVCHD Disks and then to 11 where Adobe committed to full 1080p60 support.

PrE needs a setting for preview viewing during the project. Somewhere that was named a "preset". In version before 11, you picked it from a list at the very beginning of a new project. (In that video for 9, the list did not include AVCHD 2.0 1080p60). The preset tells the computer how you want your clips processed for live, real time viewing.

In PrE11 it has been automated. When you start a new project a window pops up that tells you what was being used on your last project, gives you an option to change it and provides you a check box to force it to stay with what you selected. The important part of the box is that you name your project and designate a folder for it. When you press "OK" you launch into the project where you gather up your media. When you drop the first clip into the editing process or "time line", PrE looks at it and resets the project to match. The idea is to start with a clip that matches your footage. It works perfectly if all your footage is from the same camera! It then knows how to process, "real time render" or display the original footage in the preview window smoothly.

As I said, there is an option to force the preset into what you know will be your dominate footage in case you want to start with something different. In other words, if you know you are going to use a lot of 1080p60 but want to start with iPhone footage, you can do that.

What happens when you add a .mov from your Canon 5D Mark III to your project set up with the first clip being a .m2ts from a Panasonic TM900? The computer will have some serious processing to do in order for your preview screen to play in real time. It would be like speaking French and Spanish at the same time in Germany. Weaker computers will have a harder time than 4 core i7 with 16GB of memory! (Often that process is called "real time project rendering" which is different than "output rendering".) PrE signals you that it may have difficulty by displaying a colored line above the sections that need the extra work. Extra work can also come from exposure adustment, color grading, additional effects, complicated titles, transitions, etc. The solution is to isolate the part you are working on, press the enter key and wait a bit while PrE makes a smooth flowing "preview" file that it uses for smooth preview. Other than pressing the enter key, all this takes place in the background.

If all the footage is from the same camera in the same format, the preview will flow smoothly with no real time project rendering required.

"So far, I played 15 minutes with this steaming pile of crap and called it a day. Maybe I will try tomorrow just for the kicks of it." It would be a bad experience if you opened up a project, started with a AVCHD format and tried to make video with .mov files. Ungerman is right when he says you can't change the project settings in the middle of a project.

Bill (aka, bsprague)
post #8 of 23 Old 03-17-2013, 08:05 AM
AVS Special Member

"Vegas Platinum has almost everything needed for efficient editing except for levels monitor, so you have to eye your levels. Other than that, for the same price you get a fast app that does not require "rendering", that works with most video formats you throw at it natively, which is very fast even with 1080p60 AVCHD, it can utilize Nvidia GPU (PE cannot, more expensive PPro can use GPU acceleration). Well, maybe if you have an i7 CPU then PE will work reasonably fast, but Vegas will work even faster."

What is a levels monitor? Are you talking about audio? If so, the audio tools in PrE are both amazing and can go beyond my understanding -- for now.

Even Vegas has to take raw clip data and process it for preview and output. Is that not "rendering".

If you throw a native .mov or p60 clip at PrE it previews smoothly at normal speed on my current i7 computer with PrE11. For another forum, someone wanted to mix .mov and AVCHD so I downloaded a .mov clip and mixed it in with a AVCHD project with no issue. On my old i5 computer with PrE 9 and 10, I didn't see issues with AVCHD footage, even though with those versions I had to select a preset manually.

Relative to this discussion, in the older versions if you picked the wrong preset, it would warn you to make a change when you loaded your first clip.

Bill (aka, bsprague)
post #9 of 23 Old 03-17-2013, 08:12 AM
AVS Special Member

" but for anyone else who does not hold a gripe against Sony my advice is: TRY VEGAS FIRST. Both apps have trial versions,"

Actually, if you read all my posts about NLEs, you might find something a little different.

If someone asks, I tell them to pick ANY software that appeals to them that has been around for awhile and has lots of users. My suggestion is to not get bogged down trying to understand a bunch of them searching for "the best". With 30 NLEs on the market, no one person with one computer will find "the best".

I am not pro Adobe or Sony. I am for mastering a good tool and making videos.

Bill (aka, bsprague)
post #10 of 23 Old 03-17-2013, 08:21 AM
AVS Special Member

"Well, maybe if you have an i7 CPU then PE will work reasonably fast, but Vegas will work even faster."

When Vegas 11 and PrE9 on the same i5 computer with a single slow HDD they seemed to function at the same speed.

I am currently cheating with a i7, lots of RAM, a SDD and a (perhaps useless) Nvidia. My biggest project ever was done with two cameras in AVCHD with lots of added still photos, color grading, exposure adjustments, titles and transitions. It was a family history documentary an takes 70 minutes to watch the Blu-Ray I created.

I have read lots of posts where rendering to output is often measured by a ratio. If a 70 minute video could render in 140 minutes (2:1) to 210 minutes (3:1) it would be acceptable. My computer made the entire family history Blu-Ray, including both output rendering and disk burning from within PrE11 in 55 minutes! And, it's a self contained laptop!

Bill (aka, bsprague)
post #11 of 23 Old 03-17-2013, 08:29 AM
AVS Special Member

"So far, I played 15 minutes with this steaming pile of crap and called it a day. Maybe I will try tomorrow just for the kicks of it."

If you do play with it, can you try a couple of things?

1. Start a new project, don't try to manage the presets and load ONLY some .mov files.

2. Start a fresh project with some AVCHD, don't manage the presets, put a clip on the timeline and then add some .mov with a different frame rate.

3. Do the same in Vegas Home Studio (not Pro).

One thing we may be able to do here that could actually be useful is show solutions to mixed footage. Most people with video cameras also have smart phones. The demand and need for an under $100 NLE that can mix footage will be growing.

I'll learn more when I finish the Snowbird Season in Arizona. When I go back to wet, rainy and moldy Seattle my granddaughters and I will be trying to mix footage from their new IPod Touches with AVCHD from Sony and Panasonic cameras.

Bill (aka, bsprague)
post #12 of 23 Old 03-17-2013, 08:43 AM

Just to clarify, all video toolls I have mentioned (inlcuding Vegas products and PrE11) eiher re-encode video degrading video, lowering bitrate or re-encode to similar bitrate but still time consuming re-encoding event happens, or resulting files structure does not play on BD player.
post #13 of 23 Old 03-17-2013, 08:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bordo32 View Post

I just want to share my experience with the tools I tried recently to author and burn AVCHD with NO re-encoding to DVD media.
My files from Sony CX700 camcorder, 1080 60p, 28Mbps.
1. PrE11 - does not allow to achieve it without re-encoding. Even I use 1080 60p profile it does re-encodes the video. It burns 1080 60p but re-encodes.
2. Nero 12 Platinum - same story, same results, it is trying to re-encode video to 18Mbps if trying to burn directly to DVD, if AVCHD saved on HDD, and burnt after to DVD, it does not play on BD player.
3. PD10/11, after fixing with VideoRedo or FixPD9 type of tools is either not acceptable by multiAVCHD or plays not smoothly on BD player.
4. None of Sony Vegas products work for this.
5. TMPGEnc Authoring Works 5 - does not allow to get this either.

At the moment I am experimenting with Roxio Creator NXT Pro. Will update soon.‏

The only tool worked for me so far was: TMPGEnc MPEG Smart Renderer 4 (Big Thanks goes to this forum member markr041 for pointing this out).
But no menus and created video is BDAV format. But it works, and works great!

There is a fine group of folks that find great joy at preserving picture quality at all costs. In photography, they are affectionately referred to as "pixel peepers". To adjust anything perfectly captured on their Nikons or Canons with amazingly large sensors is truly sinful. Others commit the "sin" with Photoshop and will eagerly add to a photo by "improving" the sunset, removing blemishes or slimming the model herself!

The same is true here. Any addition, correction or adjustment you make to a video has to be processed. I don't view improvements I can make as lossy. I see them as gainful.

At first (two years ago) I learned a lot reading Mark's posts. I tried to do exactly as he did. I bought a camcorder like one he had and then another exactly like he still has. Gradually, I began to see a unique pattern to his art. He makes beautiful lossless videos and shares them with us. Above all, they are lossless. He makes sure you can download the perfect original copy from Vimeo. They range from perfect shots of birds to travel logs in Asia. His artform is "pure". It never has corrections or enhancement applied. He works hard at mastering his many cameras an get the WB, exposure, framing, etc spot on. I like watching Mark's videos and have watched everyone he has posted here (and a couple other places).

I tried that for awhile, but have been sucked into a different direction. Picture quality is important in any NLE. But, what winds my watch, are the creative tools included or available as optional plug ins. PrE, Nero, PD, Vegas, Avid and the other two dozen work at providing the creative options that have to be processed ("rendered" or "transcoded") while trying to do the best possible for viewing quality.

Bill
post #14 of 23 Old 03-17-2013, 08:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Wow! I just blew 3 hours typing. I should have been shooting the desert sunrise!

Bill (aka, bsprague)
post #15 of 23 Old 03-17-2013, 09:29 AM
AVS Special Member

I have an idea that might be useful! If anyone is actually reading this, please ask a "How do you do......(whatever)...in your NLE? I'll answer with the Premier Elements Version and Ungerman or others can answer with the Vegas version, or whatever they use.

For example, someone could ask, "How do you do lossless editing in PrE11?"

My answer would be that PrE11 can't do that.

But, it does provide output choices for making H.264 based 1920x1080 files with user selectable frame rates and bit rates. There is also a way to make a lossless output file that would have the purpose of being used in a new project, perhaps on another computer or with different software. It uses an AVI codec called Lagarith. The files it creates are HUGE because there is no compression whatsoever. The Lagarith codec is not provided with PrE11, but can be downloaded as shareware.

Bill
post #16 of 23 Old 03-17-2013, 09:38 AM

I just finished experiementing with Roxio Creator NXT Pro.
This behaves the same as others - does not allow to make AVCHD on DVD without re-encoding, lowering bitrate or degarding video quality.
post #17 of 23 Old 03-17-2013, 09:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bordo32 View Post

Just to clarify, all video toolls I have mentioned (inlcuding Vegas products and PrE11) eiher re-encode video degrading video, lowering bitrate or re-encode to similar bitrate but still time consuming re-encoding event happens, or resulting files structure does not play on BD player.

"degrading video": By how much? And does the standard, calibrated human eyeball see it when watching the video on a big screen TV while siting in the Lazy Boy across the room?

In PrE11, buried under an "Advanced" button, the output to final product bit rate is user selectable. I can output video at bitrates up to 35Mbps. Audio has its own choices too. In other words I can process, transcode or "render" 1080p60 28Mbps source clipsat the higher setting of 35Mbps. I can also pick lower if I want smaller file sizes.

No, I don't know what the visual effect would be, if any.

(I don't like the word "render". Until I started reading about video processing I thought it had something to do with melting fat when our USA pioneers wanted to make soap from dead cows. Besides, in video editing there are at least three seperate processes called rendering. There is "real time preview rendering", there is "rendering adjustment or effects to a preview file" and there is "output rendering to a final product". I guess they are related, but they are also different.)

Bill
post #18 of 23 Old 03-17-2013, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsprague View Post

I have an idea that might be useful! If anyone is actually reading this, please ask a "How do you do......(whatever)...in your NLE? I'll answer with the Premier Elements Version and Ungerman or others can answer with the Vegas version, or whatever they use.

For example, someone could ask, "How do you do lossless editing in PrE11?"

My answer would be that PrE11 can't do that.

But, it does provide output choices for making H.264 based 1920x1080 files with user selectable frame rates and bit rates. There is also a way to make a lossless output file that would have the purpose of being used in a new project, perhaps on another computer or with different software. It uses an AVI codec called Lagarith. The files it creates are HUGE because there is no compression whatsoever. The Lagarith codec is not provided with PrE11, but can be downloaded as shareware.

Bill

OK, I'll bite. How does one burn an AVCHD DVD with Vegas Movie Studio?

Mike(Railfan)
post #19 of 23 Old 03-17-2013, 02:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Railfan View Post

OK, I'll bite. How does one burn an AVCHD DVD with Vegas Movie Studio?

Mike(Railfan)
Mike,

When I had Movie Studio it came with Sony "DVD Architect" as a companion for burning DVDs, Blu-Rays, etc. I no longer have it, but I think that is the tool for complex disc burning. When I looked at it, it seemed to have more possibilities that PrE.

On the other hand, consider burning Blu-Rays. Burners have dropped in price a lot and disks are now about $1 or less. AVCHD disks should work on MOST Blu-Ray players, but all of them? Real Blu-Rays should work on ALL BD players.

Bill
post #20 of 23 Old 03-18-2013, 07:43 AM

Thanks for your reply Bill. At this time, I am not inclined to purchase a BR burner, but perhaps later this summer. In the meantime, AVCHD on DVD will have to do. I have tried Movie Studio on a trial basis (last year), and am surprised that "DVD Architect" was not included, but having said that, I was able to burn regular DVDs and supposedly BRs with the trial, so maybe it was included but did not accomodate AVCHD DVD production.

Mike
post #21 of 23 Old 03-18-2013, 10:09 AM
AVS Special Member

If anyone is actually following this thread, there is a good buy at B&H -- until March 30th.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/891349-REG/Adobe_65192903_Photoshop_Elements_11.html

Premier Elements 11 is $63.

The really good deal is the Elements combo pack for $105. That's very close to the Christmas low price record!

If you want to think a little outside the video box, Adobe sets up an option of a "graphics suite" when these two products are installed together. In other words, where a project can use it, the two talk to each other. It helps that the GUIs are similar. There is a very good accessory program that comes along with Elements software called "Organizer" that can actually organize every photo or video you've ever put on your computer. It enhances the link between the two editors.

I've found wonderful photos taken of my granddaughters a dozen years ago that I forgot about. By using this package as a "suite" I can put some of these old pictures together, fix them up a little and add some music and put it on Vimeo. Another project on the back burner is to scan my 45 year old (and faded} wedding photos, color correct them and put them into a Vimeo! I suppose I could make it work with Vegas, but I don't know how well Vegas works with photos. Does Sony make photo editing software?

One of the (fun for me) things I've been learning is to shoot still photos in "RAW" with my Sony RX100, cook them a little in Photoshop Elements and send them straight to Premier Elements for slide shows or inclusion in videos. In Premier Elements is a fun, automated technique called zoom and pan, or more commonly the "Ken Burns" effect. (Burns is a renown photojournalist that has created several historical documentaries.) The idea is to add motion to a photo by panning and zooming in or out. Burns uses it to create some "life" when the only recorded history of his subject is photos.

Another interesting Premier Elements feature is the ability to use Adobe's ACR, or Camera Raw directly. If you have something like a Canon or Nikon DSLR and you are a RAW fanatic, PrE uses ACR in the background to load RAW photos. You don't get the adjustment sliders like in Photoshop or Lightroom, but it does process the RAW files in the "Get Media" function to thumbnails that slide directly to the timeline. The GH2 and 3 addicts could use it too if they ever take their finger off the video button.

Bill
post #22 of 23 Old 03-18-2013, 10:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 59
On Nov 22 2012 (Thanksgiving) Amazon had Adobe Premiere Elements 11 for $44.99 and Adobe Photoshop & Premiere Elements 11 combo for $69.99.
post #23 of 23 Old 03-18-2013, 11:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jogiba View Post

On Nov 22 2012 (Thanksgiving) Amazon had Adobe Premiere Elements 11 for $44.99 and Adobe Photoshop & Premiere Elements 11 combo for $69.99.
So, perhaps one could wait until November and get version 12 and save $20. Or one could get started now, and upgrade in November (grin)!

Version 12 has my curiosity up. For my personal use 10 and 11 added a couple features I wanted or needed for the cameras I have. The only thing I can think of that would push me to upgrade the next time would be a significantly enhanced stabilizer effect or more integrated use of the graphics card for improved processing speed. The existing stabilzer may work fine, but I haven't figured out how to adjust the sliders very well. My processing speed is good, Adobe's "Mercury Playback Engine" has so far been reserved for their expensive stuff.
Reply Camcorders

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page