Good low light pocketable camera - Page 3 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #61 of 71 Old 03-29-2013, 01:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked: 124
I watched this - the downloaded original looks so much better than the streaming version. The night scenes look fine - very little noise, nice blacks, some deterioration in resolution but not much (except for that last shot (what was that?)).
Pixel peeping I saw moire in the Studebaker grill and, more interestingly, the photographer in a car mirror (nice effect, just like Hitchcock).

The RX100 does fine in low light.

The string is so he does not walk away.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 71 Old 03-29-2013, 02:14 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 24
markr, can you please read the last 3 posts I made on the topic? its really important for me to know what you think about that
post #63 of 71 Old 03-29-2013, 03:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by thedest View Post

Bill, you video was awesome!....And I could see you in one of the reflections! You look younger than I thought!.......
I'm closer to 70 than 60! It must of been someone else!
post #64 of 71 Old 03-29-2013, 03:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by markr041 View Post

....The night scenes look fine - very little noise, nice blacks, some deterioration in resolution but not much (except for that last shot (what was that?))..
The last clip was so black it had nothing, so for the sake of the experiment, I cooked it excessively with Premier Elements just to see any magic could be applied. The two clips before and the fourth back (with the drive in diner tray) were brightened slightly.

I think the rope needs to be bigger. He looks tough enough to break that little string. And, it should be tied to something. Do you get earthquakes in your neighborhood?

Bill
post #65 of 71 Old 03-29-2013, 03:56 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

or instead all of that I could buy the camera body + the 16mm pancake + the 50mm f1.8 prime lens, which will give me amazing bokehs

that would cost me 997 USD

man thats hard.

1050 for 4 lenses (16mm, 18-55mm, 55-210mm and 35mm f1.7 toy lens)
997 for 2 lenses (16mm and the 50mm f1.8 prime lens)

ps. I dont really need the 55-210, but it comes with the package and thats nice
post #66 of 71 Old 03-29-2013, 04:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked: 124
For a pocketable video camera the Rx100 and the LX7 are better than then NEX-5R with 16mm lens. You have no ability to zoom, you have almost no control of dof and you have no OIS. The Sony NEX takes less sharp video than either the LX7 (especially) and the RX100.

You originally started this by asking about getting a small, pocketable video camera that would be good in the dark. We now *see* the LX7 and the RX100 can do the job, even better than the NEX with kit lens. You saw the review of the 16mm lens and its bad bokeh. And with any other lens the NEX is not pocketable.

Now you have added still picture quality and the advantages of a system of lenses, changing the whole point of the thread. That's ok, I am sure that others who are interested in a small pocketable video camera with good night performance and some dof control have learned a lot from our discussions.

I have purchased accessories from Focus camera, and they were ok, but check if they are an authorized dealer for Sony.
post #67 of 71 Old 03-29-2013, 04:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

or instead all of that I could buy the camera body + the 16mm pancake + the 50mm f1.8 prime lens, which will give me amazing bokehs

that would cost me 997 USD

man thats hard.

1050 for 4 lenses (16mm, 18-55mm, 55-210mm and 35mm f1.7 toy lens)
997 for 2 lenses (16mm and the 50mm f1.8 prime lens)

ps. I dont really need the 55-210, but it comes with the package and thats nice

You say that all this is for backup and taking video as a secondary camera. If you get your head fully wrapped around pointing the primary, it doesn't leave a lot of resources to focus on number two. My vote is you keep it small, simple and automatic. The whole idea of packing lenses and changing them for secondary, but interest adding, footage turns me off.

My RX100 is my primary camera, buy choice. I have a lot of trouble letting gear get in the way of making good photos and video. My wife looks past the gear at color, light and composition. She has the button pushed while I'm still twisting dials looking for settings. She get more "wall hangers" than I do.

In the end, I think you got it right way back at the beginning. Small with good picture quality for both video and photo. A bag of lenses would make for a good kit, but I bet you won't get as many good shots.
post #68 of 71 Old 03-29-2013, 05:47 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

yes, and im sorry for that confusion, but I bet you guys have already had that kind of problem. when you start looking out for new stuff to buy you can get the lens fever.

and I'll say it again.. what I want is a backup camera for:

-low light movies- now I know that I can have that with the 3 cameras. If I buy the NEX with a fast lens I can have an advantage in that though. and I dont care about using manual focus in some situations, specially because I'll have focus peaking to help me - and I wont shoot action scenes.

- taking good pictures - camcorders suck at that. the three cameras can take awesome pictures. the problem is that I saw the comparison between the three in that link (http://www.imaging-resource.com/IMCOMP/COMPS01.HTM). Im pretty sure that if I've never seen that I would be pleased with the image quality of both LX7 and RX100. but I think you guys will understand me when I say that when you have the opportunity to buy something that is better, its really difficult to come back. and the picture quality of the NEX is in another level (no offense to the other two)

- bokeh - I can make a lot of nice movies with my camcorder, but I always miss some shots with shallow DOF and that dreamy and cinematic look. Both RX100 and LX7 can produce some shallow DOF, but they cant match the NEX with the 50mm f1.8 lens. its just BEAUTIFUL.

so now (I know im undecided, dont get angry lol) I think that I could go with that kit:

- camera body - 549.00
- 16mm pancake lens (wide angle is essential) - 250.00
- 50mm f1.8 lens (perfect for portraits and GREAT bokehs) - 300.00

I think thats a simple kit that will be able to cover me, with the camcorder, in most situations

what do you guys think of that?
post #69 of 71 Old 03-29-2013, 08:14 PM
AVS Special Member

So, I've re-read this from the beginning. I've changed my mind.

My wife and I are going to Europe next summer. We will be driving through parts of the French and Italian Alps, starting in Germany. We are staying in small towns. Picture opportunities should be pretty good.

Between us we have an RX100, an HX9V, a LX7 and an FZ150. On top of that I have a "real" camcorder.

I'm now thinking that the photos and videos will never be any good if I don't buy the NEX 6 and a couple of lenses. The NEX 5 won't do. Nothing else will do if there is low light.

Time to start shopping.

Bill

PS: Is it time to seeing past the equipment and start writing about taking good pictures and shooting good video?
post #70 of 71 Old 03-29-2013, 08:33 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

are you being sarcastic bill? if so, why?

as I said, I think that as a package, the RX100 and the LX7 are better cameras.

for video, overall, I think the LX7 is the best.

but as I said, with a fast lens the NEX deals better with low light. and the better pictures and the ability to make nice bokehs are really something that I want.

you dont need to get angry. please, respect my needs. I really appreciate the help of you guys. if you are tired of helping me, im sorry, you are free to leave. and I thank you again for all your help

ps1.: my kit will be smaller than yours. I'll be using just a small camcorder and the NEX with 2 really small lenses. with one of them the camera is only 5cm thick and with the other 9cm thick.
ps2.: the performance of the NEX 6 and the NEX 5 is the same.
ps3.: the fact that the RX100 makes EXCELLENT pictures is no reason to think that there is no reason to buy a camera that can do better ones. thats how things evolve, or do you think that the image quality of the RX100 is more than enough for the rest of the times?

please, dont take anything that I say as an offense. I really appreciate the help of you guys. im just having a hard time deciding what to buy, and I really trust your opinions
post #71 of 71 Old 03-30-2013, 09:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

are you being sarcastic bill? if so, why?
Yes, of course! Why? Because, sarcasm and humor go together. The problem with forums and email is you never see the twinkle in the eye or the curve of the mouth. Do you know that some experts say that 80% of communication is visual, not verbal. Maybe that's what makes photo and video so interesting.

Why my sarcasm? Video and photography require gear that is selected by the logical left brain. Then, magically, the more imaginative right brain is supposed to take over and, intuitively, do something with what the left brain picked out. I've logged a lot of time in my right brain playing with cars, boats, airplanes, RVs, cameras and tools. At one point I added up that stuff I was responsible for contained 64 spark plugs! I have the habit of letting my left brain control me and make me fascinated with cool toys and tools.

Part of my retirement project is to tame my left brain and become more right brained. In other words, I want to become capable of great digital art!

Forgive me, but somewhat at your expense, I let my left brain run away with itself again and decide to shop for a NEX-6. The left brain wrote the sarcastic post. This morning, my right brain beat up on my left brain and reminded it that there is a new King of the Cranium. Me and my right brain are back on track with "screw the new equipment" and get better at at using what we have. (Regarding your PS3, my gear is not what is not getting in the way of better pictures. It is my fascination with gear that is getting in the way.)

For what it's worth, you did me a big favor. Between your request for some low light examples and a chapter in a book I'm reading, the right brain and I took my wife to dinner at a car show where we could get a little control back from the left brain. Thank you.

BTW, did you know that the vast majority of the video we find interesting enough to actually watch consists of 3 to 5 second clips? Turn the TV on, randomly pick a channel and tell me if I'm wrong. We right brained camera analysts on this forum never do it that way.

Regarding PS1, my kit is an RX100 with a HX9V of the same size for backup and longer reach video. My entire kit fits in one baggy pocket in my travel shorts.

Regarding PS2, the 6 costs more, has "APs" and at least one more knob. My left brain loves it.

Absolutely no offense recieved, sensed or intended.

Bill
Reply Camcorders

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page