Can I record camcorder hi-def on a standard dvd and use on a blu-ray player? Or do I need a blu-ray burner? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 04-03-2013, 01:25 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
So I have a blu-ray player, but not a blu-ray burner. Some blu-ray players will apparently play ordinary dvd disks with AVCHD files or hidef .mp4 files and show them on a TV in hidef.

So with Nero Vision it looks like I can create "AVCHD disks" (from files I uploaded from my hidef camcorder). So so should I be able to play this on a regular dvd disk in the right blu-ray player and see hi-def on my tv. I know people know are using blu-ray players with USB ports with thumb drives with .mp4 or AVCHD files to play hi def on their TVs.

My question is whether I need a blu-ray BURNER to play hi-def easily on a blu-ray player or whether I get by a regular dvd burner (which I already have). So will Nero work if I set it up right and have the right kind of blu-ray player?

This question has probably been asked before but I haven't found it yet. Some people say I need Sony Vegas and the right type of blu-ray player.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 04-03-2013, 02:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by brycej@truman.ed View Post

My question is whether I need a blu-ray BURNER to play hi-def easily on a blu-ray player or whether I get by a regular dvd burner (which I already have). So will Nero work if I set it up right and have the right kind of blu-ray player?
Burner has nothing with format, it should match media. If you burn on DVD, then DVD burner is enough, CD burner is not enough, and BD burner will work too because BD burner can burn BD, DVD and CD. Newer devices can use older media.
post #3 of 4 Old 04-03-2013, 05:17 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Yes, I used Nero to make an AVCHD disk from my camcorder. But my blu-ray player does not play avchd or mp4 files at lead according to the manual.

Some newer blu-ray players say do. Not sure whether to buy a new blu-ray player or burner.
post #4 of 4 Old 04-03-2013, 05:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by brycej@truman.ed View Post

Yes, I used Nero to make an AVCHD disk from my camcorder. But my blu-ray player does not play avchd or mp4 files at lead according to the manual.

Some newer blu-ray players say do. Not sure whether to buy a new blu-ray player or burner.
1. You can buy a BD burner and author a BD disc. It will be playable in all (hopefully) BD players. BD discs are better for backup, they are have 5-6 times more capacity than DVDs. Burners are cheap now. Media is still expensive, but $/byte is about the same as decent DVDs.
2. You can buy a BD player that plays AVCHD discs. You will be able to watch AVCHD discs, but what about your friends? You will have to author regular DVDs for them to ensure compatibility.

Formats like 720p30, 1080p30 and 1080p60 are not BD-legal and are additional headache. My older Panasonic player had no problems with 30p, while my current Sony player does not play it, but it does play 1080p60. This is a problem separate from being able to accept AVCHD discs.

To ensure best compatibility you should downscale 1080p60 to 720p60 and author it as BD disc.
Reply Camcorders

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page