Lightroom for AVCHD - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 04-06-2013, 11:27 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked: 94
I have been a lot better at shooting video than editing it. I have recorded some great trips and family events. Sorting through the clips has been cumbersome, slow, tedious and not nearly as much fun as shooting.

I've been working to learn some photo editing along with video editing and bought Lightroom.

This morning, I discovered an amazing to me feature.

Lightroom 4 added some video tools aimed at DSLR owners, but compared to PrE the editing is really weak. However....

By accident I discovered that AVCHD video thumbnails in Lightroom move! It takes a few moments for all the previews to load, but then you can scrub the mouse pointer across the thumbnail and see the entire contents of the clip. There is no need to play it in a monitor window and you can make the thumbnails big or small. You can mark the clips as Picked or Rejected or tag them in a number of ways.

Since I like working a project in its own folder with clip copies, the next step is to select the Picks and Export as Original to a new folder for the project. Open a new project in PrE and add all the media in the new folder.

If you want to save disk space you can select all the rejects and delete them in a batch.

This will save me hours, if not days, finding video clips I want to use from various trips. Nowhere else have I seen "motion" thumbnail previews.

Granted, Lightroom is $125 and consumer NLEs about $80, but getting to the fun stuff quickly makes my day!

Bill
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 04-06-2013, 03:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 135 Post(s)
Liked: 129
PHOTOfunSTUDIO, the free software that comes with Panasonic cameras (like the LX7, ZS30), also plays the thumbnail-sized clip when you place the mouse over the clip. The software enables you to trim clips losslessly (you can do this in the camera too). It may also allow merging of clips losslessly too when outputting to media.
post #3 of 3 Old 04-10-2013, 05:19 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Now that's a great feature you never know how useful it is until you have it.
Then it's no going back.

My prgms do not have this feature- but I hold out hope it's on the upcoming to be added update list.
Reply Camcorders

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page