Converting MPEG-TS to DVD player format - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 04-07-2013, 05:59 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello all,

I run the Media Ministry for my Church. Following the advice of some other users on this site I recently purchased a new camcorder. Canon Vixiea HF G10. http://www.usa.canon.com/cusa/consumer/products/camcorders/consumer_camcorders/vixia_hf_g10

The camera came with the Pixela VideBrowser to convert video into DVD Player format. The problem that i'm having is that it supports DVD-R not DVD+R.

I just bought a new pack of DVD+R dvds and don't want to have to buy another pack of DVD-R.

Does anyone know how to use this program with DVD+R or have a recommendation for FREE software to convert from MPEG-TS(.mts) to a format that a DVD player will read.

Also, what format do I need to convert videos to in order to be able to play on a dvd player.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 04-14-2013, 08:07 AM

Hi,

I'm not familiar with the Pixela program. However a few thoughts.

Your camcorder records HD video. Your intent is to play the videos on a TV so the first question is whether the TV is HD or not. If it is HD, the next question is does it have a DVD player capable of playing HD video?

To play HD video you need both a player and TV capable of producing HD quality.

The answers to these questions will determine the format your will need to produce. If both TV and player are HD, then you will want to produce a video in HD format. If both the TV or the player are not HD, then you will want to produce a video in standard DVD format.

I use a program called Cyberlink PowerDirector 11. It can produce videos in both HD and DVD format and burn them to either DVD+ or DVD- disks. There is a trial version of PowerDirector 11 that you can download and try to see if you want to buy it.

Good luck.
post #3 of 6 Old 04-14-2013, 03:34 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the reply Rock. Most people playing this video will be doing so on standard def TV but i would like to retain as much quality as possible for those that do have HD TV. The video will typically be 50 - 80 minutes long
post #4 of 6 Old 04-14-2013, 04:04 PM

So now you know you will have to produce both versions; DVD and HD. You can buy plastic DVD cases that can hold 2 disks. You've probably seen those cases where one disk is for HD and the other for standard DVD video playback.
post #5 of 6 Old 04-15-2013, 10:18 AM - Thread Starter

I'm not wanting to burn both HD and DVD format, just high quality DVD format. I know it wont be true HD.
post #6 of 6 Old 04-15-2013, 11:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjessup0002 View Post

I'm not wanting to burn both HD and DVD format, just high quality DVD format. I know it wont be true HD.
If you do not want your standard def video to look like crap on an HDTV set you need to shoot either 24p or 30p. The former has broader support in DVD players and TVs (2:3 pulldown), support for the latter (2:2 pulldown) is less universal. I don't know whether you can master a native 30p video that would be DVD legal. In Vegas I can master either 24p only or 24p with 2:3 pulldown. If I create 24p only, it will be re-encoded by DVD Architect into 24p with 2:3 pulldown anyway. Same for 30p, and Vegas does not even care to offer a DVD template with native 30p.

24p will offer 480 lines in each picture, where a picture is one full frame. Interlaced will have only 240 lines in each picture. 60p is not supported for DVD video.

If you want to shoot interlaced I suggest you to drop support for DVD and render for BD only. Or render both, but owners of DVDs will have decidedly lower quality picture. If your production is inspirational enough it might give your DVD apologists faith in BD format. Good for economy too ;-)
Reply Camcorders

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page