computer screen recording - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 11 Old 04-08-2013, 06:09 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I am looking for a way to record what is showing on my computer screenr..specifically I would like to be able to record video of Google Earth moving from place to place for a vacation video I am wanting to put together...any ideas??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 04-08-2013, 09:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Screen grabber.
post #3 of 11 Old 04-08-2013, 11:34 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by videodummy View Post

I am looking for a way to record what is showing on my computer screenr..specifically I would like to be able to record video of Google Earth moving from place to place for a vacation video I am wanting to put together...any ideas??

as ungermann suggest

use screen capture.. press print screen and paste captured sceen on ms paint.

or try

http://download.cnet.com/Sonne-Screen-Video-Capture/3000-13633_4-10913550.html
post #4 of 11 Old 04-09-2013, 09:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 92
Through email with an instructor at lynda.com I was told that the "comercial standard" for creating online computer software courses is the $300 Camtasia. http://www.techsmith.com/camtasia.html

I spent the last half hour with a free screen capture program called Screencast-O-matic. It somehow ran in its own cloud without installing on my computer HDD and created an .avi file that I could edit in Premier Elements. It worked very well. I was surprised. http://screencast-o-matic.com/.

Bill
post #5 of 11 Old 04-09-2013, 10:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 26
CamStudio is freeware that will record all the activity on your conputer and then let you save as an avi vido file:
http://camstudio.org/

It works great, just make sure that you go into the settings/menus and set things the way you want before you record.
For example, I think the default is to play the video file right away after recording stops.
post #6 of 11 Old 04-09-2013, 11:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by xfws View Post

CamStudio is freeware .....It works great,......

Have you used it much? What for?

I've been looking for software for a project. The project is to try to create video learning tools for 10 year olds. The "teachers" would be my granddaughters. We tried last summer vacation but didn't get much done because we had to remodel the treehouse.

Thanks....
Bill
post #7 of 11 Old 04-09-2013, 12:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by bsprague View Post

Have you used it much? What for?

I've been looking for software for a project. The project is to try to create video learning tools for 10 year olds. The "teachers" would be my granddaughters. We tried last summer vacation but didn't get much done because we had to remodel the treehouse.

Thanks....
Bill

I have used it a couple of times, without issue. Although you have the option to record your voice, I didn't do that.

Keep in mind that it records every little move that you make. So, if you're demonstrating a program and go to check on your desktop, or wherever, that will show up in the video, too.

There is also a picture-in-picture - if you want it will show your image from a webcam at the same time in a small box on the screen..as well as an annotations feature.

You can download and try it/freeware. Like I said before - for something important, go through the menu settings to make sure you have it set up the way you like before recording. Otherwise, you can test it out first and then change settings later..
post #8 of 11 Old 04-09-2013, 01:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by xfws View Post

.....Keep in mind that it records every little move that you make. So, if you're demonstrating a program and go to check on your desktop, or wherever, that will show up in the video, too...

Thanks.

On my quick test of Screencast-o-matic, it uses hot keys to do basic functions, like pause a recording while you do what you have to do. It also will record voice and do picture in picture. Oddly, you don't have to install it, unless you want to. It will also directly upload to Vimeo, YouTube and others. Or, you can save as editable files.

Bill
post #9 of 11 Old 04-10-2013, 11:17 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Say no more...try Collaaj (www.collaaj.com) ...its free, and they have a paid version for a super low monthly price...
post #10 of 11 Old 04-10-2013, 12:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CloudVideo View Post

Say no more...try Collaaj (www.collaaj.com) ...its free, and they have a paid version for a super low monthly price...

Thanks!

I took a quick look. It appears like Collaaj is more of a video and screen capture to the cloud and sent to others. It does not appear to make editable video clips I can edit on my computer.

I might try it to send a quick communication to my granddaughters.

Bill
post #11 of 11 Old 04-10-2013, 04:50 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by bsprague View Post

Thanks!

I took a quick look. It appears like Collaaj is more of a video and screen capture to the cloud and sent to others. It does not appear to make editable video clips I can edit on my computer.

I might try it to send a quick communication to my granddaughters.

Bill

Bill check out Bandicam: http://www.bandicam.com/

It allows you to save screenshots to .png as well as save screen video at different resolutions to .avi and .mpg etc.
The feature I like is the mouse pointer select feature that shows you the screen click so you can record and show what it is you are clicking on.
You can also overlay FPS #s etc on the video for frame rate recording.

Check one of my videos where I used Bandicam to get a feel for it: http://youtu.be/ZIZw3GPwKMo
Just jump to the 1:01 mark and have a look.

The free version leaves a watermark on the top center of your screen but I went ahead and got it because I tried a lot of screen recording and never found something that gave me the resolution and didn't tax the CPU too much - personal preference.

Another one you can try is good old FRAPS- one of long time screencapture standards before the new raft of capture software came out: http://fraps.com/
The free version has a video length / time limit if I remember correctly.

Rob
Reply Camcorders

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page