Monoprice Action Camera Feedback - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 04-19-2013, 01:58 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Has anyone purchased or used the Monoprice Action Camera Product ID = 10159? I am tempted to purchase a camera for mounting on a mountain bike and for use on family vacations while snorkling. CNET reviews this camera but suggested to buy an entry level GoPro3 (white) instead. Except, the Monoprice version is $100 and the cheapest GoPro 3 is $200. FOV is a little narrower on the Monoprice version but I think I may be able to live with it. Lots of samples of Youtube on this unit. It does not do 1080 60p, only 30p but for the weekend warrior, it may be enough for fun slo-mo post processing.

Anyone have any first hand experience shooting and editing footage from this unit?

http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=117&cp_id=11704&cs_id=1170401&p_id=10159&seq=1&format=2

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S37eX90CEQg
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 05-08-2013, 11:49 AM

Liked: 11
I have had plenty of first hand experience with the camera. Editing could be a pain on a PC because video is in an MOV format. It's MAC friendly, but not Windows Movie Maker friendly. You will need to convert the video files to AVI or MPEG4 if you would like to edit using the Windows Movie Maker.

As a free app i would recommend Handbrake. It's really easy to use, and relatively quick.

As for the camera itself, it is super easy to use. I can't stress enough at how easy to use it is. There is a Stop, and Rec switch. you flip the switch, it starts. then you get a vibration telling you that recording has started, it's sufficient vibration for you to feel when on the handle bars or a helmet. So you don't have to guess or wonder if the camera is recording or not. when recording stops, it vibrates again to let you know.

Regarding the FOV, the camera will record 120º in 1080p and 170º in 720p, both at 30fps. I find 30FPS to be sufficient, as most of the video i shoot will go to Youtube, which converts everything to 30fps anyways.

I have posted a few videos of footage, you might notice that i posted a few before the camera was released to the public, that is because i do work for Monoprice, and i gave some feedback on how to improve the unit. I've taken many of these units to different types of events and conditions, and they have held up very well.

http://youtu.be/aHpAbXTqgdg

This was shot with the camera hung upside down, and attached to the windshield with the suction cup mount that is sold separately. I used Handbrake to convert the footage, and then Windows Movie maker to Cut the video.

http://youtu.be/3b0RA8l4UGw

This was with the camera facing right side up and the suction cup attached to the hardtop of the car.

http://i.imgur.com/3EoXCsZ.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/TZ9KliA.jpg

This last video is with the camera mounted onto the side of my helmet with the helmet mount, and the 90º elbow that is included. I used the 3M Sticky tape to attach it.

http://youtu.be/rrMIRoIfFj8

Now i'm giving you this feedback as a consumer, not as a sales person, i understand there are flaws with the audio quality, and to explain, it has to do with the cameras underwater capabilities. Since we do not require an external case on order to use the camera in a wet environment, we had to adjust the sensitivity of the mic to work properly in a completely sealed environment. Considering the capabilities, we were content with the results, because we liked the simplicity. We are looking to improve the overall quality of the audio, but that won't be until we reach some other revisions (just like how go pro and contour have had newer better models over time.). We didn't see this as being too much of an issue, as 90% of action footage is dubbed over with music of some sort.

Personally, i really like this product, and i have no problem recommending it to friends and family. I completely understand there is a need to have really high end units like the Go-Pros and the Contours, but we want the casual user to have that same experience without having to drop big dollars. To some people just getting the footage is more important than the frame rate and the audio quality. If you think you are one of those people, and want a device that is super simple to use, i would have to recommend this unit.
post #3 of 8 Old 05-17-2013, 04:13 PM

Liked: 10
I have this camera. The files are .mov, but i successfully rename them on my Nexus 7 using USB-OTG to .mp4 and they play fine. Just tried it on my windows PC and it works too.
post #4 of 8 Old 05-17-2013, 06:13 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 19
looks like the same as the polaroid sport cameras out now. anyone know the sensor resolution?
post #5 of 8 Old 05-17-2013, 06:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 26
It is only $90, and mounted on a helmet it produces much less jello than mounted to a car. I hate jello.

I bought a used HDC-SD9 in great condition on eBay for less than $100 delivered. It is CCD-based and produces no jello or skewing. On another hand I would not want to attach a camera with optical image stabilizer to a car if I cared about the camera. I am afraid that harsh vibrations from a car would kill OIS. The best solution would be a CCD-based camera with digital stabilizer.
post #6 of 8 Old 06-06-2013, 07:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ungermann View Post

It is only $90, and mounted on a helmet it produces much less jello than mounted to a car. I hate jello.
What do you mean by jello? This does look like the camera for me. I have the high end Hero3 and I hate the fisheye look. I want a few more action cams to film a band I'm following. How is this camera in low light?
post #7 of 8 Old 06-10-2013, 10:25 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by KillerKlownsFOS View Post

What do you mean by jello? This does look like the camera for me. I have the high end Hero3 and I hate the fisheye look. I want a few more action cams to film a band I'm following. How is this camera in low light?

check out ragecam replacement len for gopro, can get rid of fisheye
post #8 of 8 Old 09-26-2013, 09:24 AM

I haven't been able to get mine to work with my Imac the files seem to be empty. Any ideas?

For Sale:

Salamander Synergy Triple 20 walnut/black aluminum. Like new.
B&W HTM62 Wenge
Rotel RSX-1057

Local only. Photo's up in gallery, PM for additional info.
Reply Camcorders

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page