new sports video cam inquiry - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 04-26-2013, 09:04 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I am a total neophyte and ignoramus who needs to take videos of my son's lacrosse games (which are quite fast) and then edit them into a recruiting dvd. It looked like the previous comment thread was a few years old, so there is newer technology in the marketplace. I need to buy a video camera which will be good in both bright sun and limited light (evenings and inside hockey rinks next winter). My budget tops out at $600-700, thinking that I'll potentially need accessories such as flash memory, possibly longer life battery (games are 2 hrs +/-), tripod, ++. I have been looking at the Canon Vixia HF R42, and I've seen very positive reviews of Panasonics. I'm open to buying a good used machine, but how do I know it's good? I am very eager to see any & all thoughts, sooner the better!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 04-26-2013, 12:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 90
Welcome to the forum!

I would not buy the Canon Vixia HF R42 because it lacks a viewfinder. To get steady, fast action shooting you will do better holding a camera to your eye and your arms tucked into your chest.

I suggest you buy a Pansonic FZ200. It is highly regarded as a camcorder. I know it does not look like a camcorder, but things have changed. The FZ200 is the least expensive viewfinder equipped camera you can buy now. Anything else with a viewfinder will bust your budget.

http://www.amazon.com/Panasonic-DMC-FZ200-Digital-Camera-Optical/dp/B008MB6ZX0/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1367003406&sr=8-1&keywords=fz200

The hard part will be developing the skills to make the recruiting video. My suggestion is to buy either Adobe Premier Elements 11 (my favorite) or Sony Movie Studio Platinum Suite 12. Both are under a $100.

A couple of 32GB Class 10 SDHC cards for around $30 each will do. You may only need one.

An extra battery from Panasonic will be about $60. A Chinese substitute called Wasabi is a lot cheaper and most have good results.

Come back when you have the camera and more questions.

Good luck Dad!
post #3 of 7 Old 04-26-2013, 02:26 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 30
le gardien, the FZ200 will do the job, but if you're willing to buy a refurbished camcorder through Amazon, this $700 Panasonic X900 will give you better resolution, a headphone jack, and better low light performance.

Good luck with your decision,

Bill B.
Hybrid Camera Revolution
post #4 of 7 Old 04-26-2013, 08:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 90
Bill,

You busted the budget. And, who are those sellers? He does not get an extra battery, memory cards or software!

Bill (the other one)
post #5 of 7 Old 04-26-2013, 11:02 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 52
Regarding camera choice, I think the Bills have given you good advice. Since you are an admitted neophyte, I would like to warn you that making a decent quality recruiting video is a big task, even for a skilled amateur with an unlimited budget. Since you are starting from zero, with only a tiny $700 budget, it will likely be difficult for you to make a decent video and you can easily spend hundreds of hours in the attempt (filming games and practices, interviewing coaches and players, editing footage, etc.). So you might be better served to hire an aspiring amateur filmmaker with their own equipment to make the video for you, and pay them the $700 upon completion. You will likely be more pleased with the outcome and save yourself a lot of time and aggravation.
post #6 of 7 Old 04-29-2013, 12:26 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
OK, I'll admit it........... I got lots more advice, and I went out and busted my own budget. My A/V gearhead colleague suggested that all of our videographers here at Dartmouth use Sony & why don't I look for a good deal on a semipro level Sony? so I did: I bought a HDR-CX580V plus an additional memory card, additional battery, a tripod, remote zoom controller, and editing software. I have been offered help, tips, etc. from the videographer who shoots my son's regional lacrosse team's video and from a hockey teammate of my son who is somewhat experienced at editing. I realize this could be 'bold... and stupid!', but there it is. I am going to learn everything I can about shooting video and then go for all the help I can get in editing it to produce a recruiting video. Please make any and all suggestions and comments. I'm OK with 'boy did you pull a dumb move, but here's what you should do now........'
and, truly, thanks very much for sharing your knowlege and insights!
post #7 of 7 Old 04-29-2013, 01:00 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 52
Go for it! Sounds like you have a good support network to help you. Looking forward to seeing what you put together.
Reply Camcorders

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page