Looking for a camera that's 1080P and good for bright indoor (no water wash out on skin) for detail gym recording - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 31 Old 04-27-2013, 08:21 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
My samsung galaxy s3 video cam doesn't cut it. All detail is lost, I am washed out sun bright. No veins, no muscle definition, looks like crap.

Looking for what's available that would be crisp and detailed while good with bright lights. Looking for answers smile.gif Price range, well ideally the cheaper the better but...

Please see the world as it really is...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 31 Old 04-27-2013, 10:22 AM - Thread Starter

Here's a sample of OKAY filming but that's because I wasn't out and about in the gym, just one corner. But notice how the bright parts of the skin are burning bright even the sweat pants are so bright that they become sun bright?

Well.. while recording elsewhere around the gym the whole body starts turning sun bright like that... which is a problem...

Need some advice on how to go about dealing with such indoor lighting situations and a proper camera for this sort of environment. The level of detail the 1080p recording the S3 offers is okay, if it could be better wouldn't mind... but the over exposure is terrible... Besides catching a tan in the summer lol... what else can I do?

It seems most cameras I tried to look for around 200 are utter crap and pixelated, blury etc... even at 1080P recordings compared to the samsung s3 phone... ironically.. or are dull... etc...

Basically what should I be even looking for in a camera if trying to target this sort of filming with this sort of problem and level of detail expectation.

post #3 of 31 Old 04-27-2013, 10:23 AM - Thread Starter

I forgot my laptop's adapter and battery ran out, otherwise I would upload a sample of the mess that I'm talking about where all my skin is super bright (worse than above trust me... at least some veins and definition are visible still in the above video and it's mostly because I'm in a 'darker' corner).

post #4 of 31 Old 04-29-2013, 06:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by gigatron View Post

I forgot my laptop's adapter and battery ran out, otherwise I would upload a sample of the mess that I'm talking about where all my skin is super bright (worse than above trust me... at least some veins and definition are visible still in the above video and it's mostly because I'm in a 'darker' corner).

Have you tried manual exposure and locking it? Knock the exposure down a bit if you have that option and then lock it. If not, then it's just the poor dynamic range of the camera and lack of manual controls. It searches the image to achieve a proper exposure. Usually if you end up with blown out skin tones the camera sees too much darker area in it's auto-exposure area and when bringing up the exposure for the darker areas it blows out brighter areas significantly at times. You either need to lock exposure onto yourself in that lighting, manually expose and lock it or be in position so that the camera exposes more for you. These type of cameras have terrible dynamic range, so more care is needed.
post #5 of 31 Old 04-29-2013, 06:22 PM - Thread Starter

You know what I spent the whole weekend researching and it looks like there is NOTHING worth a damn under 5000$... hell under 10000$ in the camcorder market to record 1080P.

On the other hand I discovered that the way to go are SLR photo cameras which since 2008 have AMAZING 1080P recording smile.gif

I was totally blown away by some examples of documentaries and even shor films all done with DSLRs!

I have my eyes on the recently released Canon 700D (EOS Rebel t5i). But its like 1100 after shipping/taxes in Canada... trying to get the amazon visa which is interest free so I can pay it monthly for six months.

Unless someone has other suggestions this seems to be the best in the range. Compared to the T4i it has little change EXCEPT specifically changes relating to video auto focus/etc... which is what will matter to me and not necessarily photograpphers. From what I've read the t4i had terrible auto focus and would blur here and there as you record.

post #6 of 31 Old 04-29-2013, 09:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

You know what I spent the whole weekend researching and it looks like there is NOTHING worth a damn under 5000$... hell under 10000$ in the camcorder market to record 1080P.
In the $5,000-$10,000 there are cinema quality camcorders in that price range that smoke the T5i. I own a T2i, btw. It's very nice, but there are nicer cameras in the $5,000-$10,000 range easily if yo know what to look for.

Sony PMW-F3 Professional 1080p cinema camera with/S-LOG. 13.5 stop dynamic range rivals the $60,000 Arri Alexa, has better dynamic range than the Red Epic used to film most movies nowadays. About $7,000-$9,000 used. Absolutely PHENOMENAL cinema camera with S-Log. Wide Dynamic range can handle those lighting situations you're trying to film without breaking a sweat as well as film in near complete darkness. http://www.ebay.com/itm/Sony-PMW-F3-Camcorder-with-RGB444-S-Log-Option-installed-/161017577159?pt=Camcorders_Professional_Video_Cameras&hash=item257d653ec7

Sony FS100U - Sees in the dark. $3995. New. Large Super 35mm sensor, same sensor as the F3. Huge pixels mean fantastic low light. http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/761578-REG/Sony_NEX_FS100U_NEX_FS100E_Super_35mm_Sensor.html

Canon C100 Cinema Camera
- Wide 12 stop dynamic range throughout a massive 20,000 ISO Range. This camera sees in the dark. $5,500 new. This camera is their cinema line and smoke their DSLRs like the T5i in video quality. http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/889545-REG/Canon_EOS_C100_EF_Cinema.html

Sony EX3 - Used to shoot the movie "Monsters". http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/758893-REG/Sony_PMW_EX3_2_PMW_EX3_XDCAM_EX_HD.html

Then of course there is the talk of the cinema camera world with the most revolutionary camera ever released:

BlackMagic Cinema Camera Shoots 13+ stop dynamic range 2.5k Resolution, 12-Bit Color, RAW or 10-bit ProRes @1080p for $2,995 and included $1,600 in free software. The quality rivals the $60,000 Arri Alexa used to shoot The Avengers. http://www.blackmagicdesign.com/products/blackmagiccinemacamera/

Then in late July they are releasing a BlackMagic Pocket Cinema 1080p camera for $995: http://www.blackmagicdesign.com/products/blackmagicpocketcinemacamera/
Also in July BlackMagic is releasing a 4k Cinema camera for $3,995. http://www.blackmagicdesign.com/products/blackmagicproductioncamera4k/

Even the Canon HF-G10, HFG-20 and HF-G30 would be a huge step ups over your current camera. As you can see, nothing worth a damn in the $5,000-$10,000 range is way off. lol.

Quote:
On the other hand I discovered that the way to go are SLR photo cameras which since 2008 have AMAZING 1080P recording smile.gif

I was totally blown away by some examples of documentaries and even shor films all done with DSLRs!
They are capable of very nice video, and cinematic looks, but the Canon line is a bit soft on 1080p. Video can look great though. Panasonic GH3 will give you sharper video, longer record times and higher bitrate as well as 60p at 1080p and an OLED display.

Another great option in the DSLR realm is the Nikon D5200. Little to no moire/alising.
Sony Nex-5n has good dynamic range and great low light and 60p. Throw on a speedbooster and turns it into a full frame 1080p video camera that makes every lens one stop faster, improving low light by a whole stop.
Quote:
I have my eyes on the recently released Canon 700D (EOS Rebel t5i). But its like 1100 after shipping/taxes in Canada... trying to get the amazon visa which is interest free so I can pay it monthly for six months.

Unless someone has other suggestions this seems to be the best in the range. Compared to the T4i it has little change EXCEPT specifically changes relating to video auto focus/etc... which is what will matter to me and not necessarily photograpphers. From what I've read the t4i had terrible auto focus and would blur here and there as you record.

You'll probably be quite happy with the T5i, but if I were you I'd spring for the Panasonic GH3 at least. Many DSLRs and camcorders over $500-600 would smoke the Samsung Galaxy.
post #7 of 31 Old 04-29-2013, 11:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Yes the 4K Black Magic camera for $4,000 looks like it's going to be serious business since you have a combination of ultra high resolution, good colors since you have far more freedom to color grade it the way you want, decent dynamic range which is not as good as the 2.5K version but still very good nonetheless and last but not least a global shutter.

Another good cameras for around 10 grand total is the Sony FS700 plus Odyssey 7Q combo. The camera has built in ND filters and with the Odyssey, you''d be able to shoot ultra high quality 4K.
http://www.eoshd.com/content/10110/odyssey7q-turns-wimpy-sony-fs700-into-monstrous-4k-raw-crunching-beast-with-15-stops-dr
post #8 of 31 Old 04-30-2013, 04:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:

Hi gigatron - here is a Canon T5i body only for $891(CDN) on Amazon Canada, and here it is with the kit lens for $1042(CDN).

You may also want to take a look at the new Nikon D5200 ($1000(CDN) with the kit lens on Amazon Canada).

Here is Andrew Reid of eoshd in his review of this camera:
Quote:
The D5200 is particularly welcome for budget shooters, since Canon have stagnated, offering up the same image quality year on year – for 3 years – with their Rebel line. Now it is pay back time because the best selling DSLRs for video – the 7D, 60D and 650D – are firmly out-performed by the Nikon D5200.

Here is what this camera can do, side-by-side with the top of the line $3249 Canon 5d Mark III:

A couple of important caveats you may want to consider if you're thinking seriously about buying a DSLR for video (manufacturers don't advertise this). With all of the research you've done, you probably already know all of this, but I like to make these limitations clear to new buyers, just in case:

- your viewfinder will stop working in video mode. DSLRs have mirrors - and mirrors have to be moved out of the light path between the lens and the sensor to shoot video. When that happens, they are locked in the up position, blocking your viewfinder. You can monitor what you are shooting on the LCD - unless you are outdoors and it is washed out by bright sunlight.

- Nikon and Canon limit even their latest DSLRs to 30 minutes of continuous video recording. If you need to shoot a wedding, play, sermon, speech, or other event, you may be out of luck.

- DSLRs below $3000 have no headphone jacks for audio monitoring

Camcorders in the same price range such as the $935(CDN) Panasonic X900 have none of these limitations. The X900 can produce video like this:

and this (please watch at 1080p):

All of that said, you're right - modern DSLRs can produce incredible results for not a lot of money - as long as you are aware of their limitations.

Hope this is helpful and good luck with your decision!

Bill
Hybrid Camera Revolution
post #9 of 31 Old 04-30-2013, 08:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked: 75
Quote:

The Sony NEX-VG900 is the only full frame camcorder.

post #10 of 31 Old 04-30-2013, 01:10 PM - Thread Starter

Point is I'm not spending more than 1000$~

So I was checking out the GH3 and I ran across this!!!

http://www.geeky-gadgets.com/blackmagic-pocket-cinema-camera-footage-released-video-29-04-2013/

But it seems this is not out?? Coming in July? I'm confused because it seems its out but then there is mention of one coming out in mid-end July which will be 4k.. is it the same camera?

Not really caring for 4k right now just crisp 1080HD with 24p, don't care if 60fps.

post #11 of 31 Old 04-30-2013, 02:54 PM
AVS Special Member

You need at least a lens with the BMC compact camera since it's $995 without lens and it does not have 4K like the $4,000 production version.
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/964117-REG/blackmagic_design_blackmagic_pocket_cinema_camera.html
post #12 of 31 Old 04-30-2013, 02:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Their are 3 different Black Magic cameras. The original that comes in eighter an EF or M43 mount which costs $3,000 and then the 2 newer versions, the pocket for $1,000 and the 4K version for $4,000 that I mentioned. The Global shutter in the 4K version allows people to practically pan very fast and not have the same kind of side effects that you'd see in any CMOS camera in it's price range. Granted CMOS cameras with a rolling shutter can be decent but you're talking cameras like the Sony F5 and Red Scarlet at the very least.

Yes, that's a bit off topic and even the GH3 and the Black Magic pocket camera is a bit over your budget but I'm assuming your probably thinking of increasing it a bit anyway. It's both the pocket camera and the 4K camera that will be out the end of July. If you want that pocket camera, you have no choice but to pre-order it. It's going to be a hot seller initially and I don't know if they'll be able to keep up with demand. Even the GH3 is still hard to find in the US and that came out the end of last year. You'd have to call up local authorized dealers such as shops that specializes in selling mostly camera equipment. Anyway, for the Black Magic pocket camera, you'll have to make sure you pick up the right lens since new lenses are usually made for chips that are much bigger so you'll probably spend a little bit more on lenses to get the same field of view as cameras with bigger chips. Now that if you go with m43 lenses that are very sharp. Their are many S16 and C Mount lenses around (you'll need to be lens adapters for those) although even some of those can be expensive unfortunately. A lot of people been buying them up when the GH2 got released because of the crop feature and then a lot of Nikon 1 users started buying them up. Think of the crop factor being around 3x when you decide on what lens to purchase. A 12mm lens will be like 36mm on a full frame DSLR. On the other hand, the Speed Boaster is supposed to help with that issue. I don't know when the M43 version will be released.
post #13 of 31 Old 04-30-2013, 03:20 PM - Thread Starter

Like I said my budget is around 1000$

That black magic pocket cinema for 995$ is perfect for my needs... the GH-3 body only is the price of the T5i with the second lens kit... so that would get expensive fast.

The black magic pocket cinema is suited for video and thats perfect. All i need is crisp quality, good dynamic range, good detail in BRIGHT environment don't even care about night so much as ill be filming all in a very bright illuminated gym. 1080p and 24fps seems like fun to make it cinematic looking. So 60fps is meaningless.

The 2-3k+ stuff no way... not in my budget. Even 1000$ is pushing it but i will bite the bullet.

Edit: OH! So the pocket cinema camera will be without lens? Hmm... didn't know that. What kind of lens could I use? Basically like I said it will be shooting in gym environment, bright lights, up close being 6 feet to 12 feet. Maybe 20 feet at most

It will be hand held by my wife and maybe other training partners. So anti shake/stabilization type lens will be a plus.

This is basically what I'm looking at... My budget is limited as such so this makes a lot of sense and I will not have a whole film crew or a dolly LOL... hence those cinema camcorders are a no no! smile.gif

post #14 of 31 Old 04-30-2013, 03:29 PM
AVS Special Member

The Panasonic Lumix G X Vario 12-35mm f/2.8 Asph. Lens for Micro 4/3 is the one that was used on the first Vimeo test video of the BMC compact camera.
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/865111-REG/Panasonic_H_HS12035_Lumix_G_X_Vario.html

https://vimeo.com/64693161

https://vimeo.com/64944847
post #15 of 31 Old 04-30-2013, 03:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Like I said my budget is around 1000$

That black magic pocket cinema for 995$ is perfect for my needs... the GH-3 body only is the price of the T5i with the second lens kit... so that would get expensive fast.

The black magic pocket cinema is suited for video and thats perfect. All i need is crisp quality, good dynamic range, good detail in BRIGHT environment don't even care about night so much as ill be filming all in a very bright illuminated gym. 1080p and 24fps seems like fun to make it cinematic looking. So 60fps is meaningless.

The 2-3k+ stuff no way... not in my budget. Even 1000$ is pushing it but i will bite the bullet.

Edit: OH! So the pocket cinema camera will be without lens? Hmm... didn't know that. What kind of lens could I use? Basically like I said it will be shooting in gym environment, bright lights, up close being 6 feet to 12 feet. Maybe 20 feet at most

It will be hand held by my wife and maybe other training partners. So anti shake/stabilization type lens will be a plus.

This is basically what I'm looking at... My budget is limited as such so this makes a lot of sense and I will not have a whole film crew or a dolly LOL... hence those cinema camcorders are a no no! smile.gif

I think a Canon HF-G10 would be fine for you. You just need to expose properly.
post #16 of 31 Old 04-30-2013, 03:55 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jogiba View Post

The Panasonic Lumix G X Vario 12-35mm f/2.8 Asph. Lens for Micro 4/3 is the one that was used on the first Vimeo test video of the BMC compact camera.
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/865111-REG/Panasonic_H_HS12035_Lumix_G_X_Vario.html

https://vimeo.com/64693161

https://vimeo.com/64944847

holy crap thats expensive... the t5i lenses are cheaper for 18-55mm and 18-135mm... if im getting the pocket cinema camera isnt there something under 200 lol...

Another thing I care about is LCD view screen as my wife wouldn't want to star down the viewhole of the camera but rather hold it and see the LCD screen displaying whats there.

post #17 of 31 Old 04-30-2013, 04:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:

if im getting the pocket cinema camera isnt there something under 200 lol...

Another thing I care about is LCD view screen as my wife wouldn't want to star down the viewhole of the camera but rather hold it and see the LCD screen displaying whats there.

You should consider what you're buying with the Blackmagic Pocket Cinema Camera. Although it's small, this is not the kind of camera your wife can casually take videos with (no offense)...it's a cinema camera; i.e. targeted at filmmakers. No auto-focus/has to constantly be focused manually.

It requires good SD cards; Sandisk 64GB SDXC 95 MB/s cards which are $125-$130 each and will only give you 10-15 minutes of footage each. You're going to need a lot more than one.

This camera is going to make huge files..meaning you will go through a TB hard drive very quickly and have to get more hard drives. You also need a good system to edit the files with.

Take into account, as another post mentions, the lens requirements and you can add at least a couple thousand dollars more into the cost, which will grow as you have to keep buying more storage.
post #18 of 31 Old 04-30-2013, 05:14 PM - Thread Starter

I already have fast SDXC cards. I don't need several as I transfer after recording right away to the computer. The recording will be one exercises then stop. Then the next. Out-takes too lol. Not continuous recording.. After I can edit/encode/upload as I please. I have a graphics workstation and terrabytes upon terrabytes on my local server that I use for storage. I have sata 3 ssd drives, etc... none of these are problems I have to deal with.

The wife is not inadept, and she learns fast. That's not a big deal either.

If I go with this camera, I just need one lens that fits my needs and is inexpensive for the bright gym environment and the range the shots will be in. Nothing over complicated. I don't need a lens that can shoot far off animals or do microscopic shots. Just that short range I mentioned. Hence something inexpensive for that purpose. This is an initial investment, later for my project or personal use I can get other gadget accessories and lenses, but this is priority right now.

post #19 of 31 Old 05-01-2013, 05:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Terra is Earth. 10^12 is tera.

It seems that the Panasonic DMC-G6 should be a pretty good camera. Native 24p. Also 60p for those who wants it. Flip-out hi-res LCD. GH2 sensor. Will be $700 with 14-42 lens.

I just watched a documentary about how digital filmmaking took over film, with Keanu Reeves. Really, it matters little what camera you are using as long as you are shooting something.
post #20 of 31 Old 05-01-2013, 06:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

holy crap thats expensive... the t5i lenses are cheaper for 18-55mm and 18-135mm... if im getting the pocket cinema camera isnt there something under 200 lol...

Your best bet for lens with the Pocket Cinema would be the Panasonic 14-42mm lens. That's about as cheap of a zoom lens as you'll get for the pocket cinema...which factoring in the 3x crop ratio compared to full frame DSLRs the lens becomes a 42-126mm lens. So basically slightly less than normal view (which is 50mm on Full frame) to telephoto. Should work fine for what you want to do.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Panasonic-Lumix-G-VARIO-14-42mm-F-3-5-5-6-ASPH-Mega-O-I-S-Lens-/300896741066?pt=Camera_Lenses&hash=item460ed7e6ca
post #21 of 31 Old 05-01-2013, 06:24 PM - Thread Starter

^I'll take a look at that but from what I've seen on one youtube video it has this 'weird' upclose claustrophobic view.

I was also looking at this stuff 'neutral density filters' pardon my ignorance but im no pro just learning on the go here.

Seems like this is what I'll be needing too to dela with the crazy bright lights in my gym? Can someone elaborate:

post #22 of 31 Old 05-01-2013, 06:33 PM - Thread Starter

Also if I am hunting for black magic pocket cinema cam lenses, what should i be looking for. I am guessin they are not ALL universal and there is a criteria for fitments, diameter of the attachment?

You've all been very helpful and patient with this DSLR/camera newb smile.gif Thank you.

post #23 of 31 Old 05-01-2013, 07:29 PM - Thread Starter

Okay so this is just a test recording, ignore the poor angles and shaky movement lol, will teach the wife how to shoot properly.. but notice the second exercise how washed out I am. Also observe in the mirrors all the lights... it washes out my skin severely. You can see when Im bent over raising the dumbells you can notice some of the detail in my delts but then it all washes out...

In comparison here is a photo:

It's a really bright environment.

post #24 of 31 Old 05-01-2013, 08:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

^I'll take a look at that but from what I've seen on one youtube video it has this 'weird' upclose claustrophobic view.
Well, you have to factor in that this video was probably filmed from only 3-5 feet away in a crowded room or zoomed in. You mentioned you had 12-20 feet to record from, correct? The Pocket Cinema gives an even closer view than the Panasonic because it's more of a crop factor, but distance from subject is important as well as whether it's zoomed in or zoomed out.

I was also looking at this stuff 'neutral density filters' pardon my ignorance but im no pro just learning on the go here.

Seems like this is what I'll be needing too to dela with the crazy bright lights in my gym? Can someone elaborate:
[/quote]

Not really. Lenses and shutter can do the same thing. ND filters cut down the amount of light hitting the sensor. and allows artist to open their lenses wide in bright light for shallow depth of field. The same cannot be achieve by stopping your lens down to a smaller aperture or raising the shutter speed, but you can cut down on light that way. Professional video guys or creative artists usually use ND filters as opposed to stopping down the lens so that they can achieve shallower depth of field (ie; when you see the background blur behind the subject). The lower the F-Stop the shallower the depth of field that can be obtained, but in brighter environments these wide open fast lenses would need to be stopped down to prevent the picture from blowing out white, thus increasing the depth of field, making it less shallow (which may not be the desired effect the person wants for creative purposes). Like filmmaker guys like to shoot 1080p at 24fps with a 1/48th shutter speed. This gives a 180 degree shutter for that certain movie like motion/motion blur. So, there creative reasons behind using NDs. It's not necessary only for cutting down light. For only that,. you can simply stop down the lens to cut down the light hitting the sensor or raise the shutter speed (or a combo of both).

Basically, the NDs to the pros or creative artist unless you're wanting to go the route. biggrin.gif
post #25 of 31 Old 05-01-2013, 08:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Basically the Black Magic pocket camera comes with an M43 mount which is the same that's used in the GH3. All M43 lenses will work on it. When you buy an adapter just make sure it's M43 mount on the camera end and the mount of the lens you want on the other end such as manual lenses from many companies. Their are a ton of them out their.
post #26 of 31 Old 05-01-2013, 08:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Also if I am hunting for black magic pocket cinema cam lenses, what should i be looking for. I am guessin they are not ALL universal and there is a criteria for fitments, diameter of the attachment?

Micro Four Thirds lenses basically. It's a 3x crop sensor based on full frame, which has no crop factor on lenses focal length. For instance, a 50mm normal view lens on a full frame sensor like the Canon 5D Mark III is 50mm. On the Pocket cinema you multiply the 50mm focal length times 3 for your new focal length to get a 150mm telephoto view (ie; very close). So, going wide is a bit more difficult on the Pocket Cinema. The Panasonic 14mm wide end of the 14-42mm lens is actually 42mm on the Pocket Cinema, which is 8mm less and slightly wider than a 50mm normal view lens on a full frame sensor. The video you posts above of the lens didn't mention if they were zoomed in or out nor what distance. The lens at the wide end should capture a similar angle of view as your workout video when shot from 7-9 feet based on testing out my camera which calculated crop ratio using Magic Lantern firmware hack.
Quote:
You've all been very helpful and patient with this DSLR/camera newb smile.gif Thank you.

Very welcome! biggrin.gif
post #27 of 31 Old 05-02-2013, 05:49 AM
AVS Special Member

The BMCC compact has a 3x crop Sensor Size of 12.48 x 7.02 mm (effective) compared to the current BMCC with 2.3x crop 15.8x8.9mm. Here is a comparison of FOV of the current BMCC and a full frame sensor:

1920x1200 view click here
post #28 of 31 Old 05-02-2013, 08:31 AM - Thread Starter

That's the current 2K cinema camera right?

Hmm, so, it's cropping the picture and not showing everything. It's true it shows a weird view there. I am totally unfamiliar with how all this works. So basically it doesn't capture the whole? So you have to use certain lenses that can capture the whole? Sorry for sounding retarded... I am learning biggrin.gif

post #29 of 31 Old 05-02-2013, 10:37 AM
AVS Special Member

With a 3x crop a full frame 35mm wide angle would equal a 105mm telephoto FOV full frame eqiv FOV on the new BMCC pocket compact camera. Even comparing an APS-C DSLR sensor vs full frame sensor there is a big difference.

post #30 of 31 Old 05-02-2013, 11:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 195 Post(s)
Liked: 141
Another thing you should learn: for the videos you are shooting, which involve movement (e.g., swinging arms as in your test video), using 24p is not desirable as it results in jerky motion. You should prefer 60p given what you are shooting - it delivers smooth motion. ESPN and ABC networks chose 60p to deliver their video precisely because they are good for sports.

Given your inexperience, it seems ludicrous to me to focus on a camera like the unproven, expensive complex Blackmagic cameras + lenses that may or may not be compatible for auto focusing or auto control. You need a camera that does 108060 and that has good dynamic range. The GH3 has the best dynamic range and shoots 108060p, but is way more than you need. A top camcorder (Canon, Sony, Panasonic) should do fine and fits your budget. You do not need limits on recording times, shut down viewfinders, poor audio, limited DOF that characterize DSLRs, and you don't need to spend multiple thousands to get professional-looking video for what you are doing.

This is a fun and instructive thread, but it has strayed way beyond what you seem to need, giving you started with phone video.
Reply Camcorders

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page