Camcorder for FPV Robot / filming (wifi) - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 05-08-2013, 02:54 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I am looking to hook up a camcorder to my remote control robot to do some filming out on my farm fields. I already have a Panasonic hdc-tm700 which I like quite a bit But I will be unable to control zooming or any of the other functions on it wirelessly. I am still looking into gimbals to stabilize the video as well is do tilt and panning. most likely i will just drive the robot to a spot near the edge of the field, park it and shoot. you may ask why i want to do it this way... well i am confined to a wheelchair and i have a lot of back pain. going out in the fields KILLS my back.
so perhaps i will upgrade my camcorder to one of the new ones that has Wi-Fi if I'm understanding how works correctly. You should be able to see what you're going to be able to shoot as well as make changes to the settings and zoom. I looked all over YouTube to see an example of what the android app looks like or how it would look on a computer.
It would be great to know the range of the Wi-Fi for some of these camcorders. I have a Plan B already if the range is not that great. I have Verizon mi-Fi hotspot that I could connect the camcorder to and then connect through that to my computer or phone.
With all this being said and not wanting to spend more than what I did on my previous camcorder around $700 can I get some ideas thrown at me?

Here is what my robot looks like. I use it to cut the grass.
http://youtu.be/8N1OzUWRIIo

I know this is not an RC forum but if anyone has recommendations on a good inexpensive gimbal your thoughts are welcome. Most of the ones I've seen are well above $400 for a decent one.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 05-08-2013, 03:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Liked: 113
Here is a screenshot of what the Android app looks like on my Samsung tablet:

This is using a Panasonic ZS30, which you should consider since it is smaller and lighter and cheaper than Panasonic camcorders but has a 20X zoom. It also shoots 108060p and does the remote wireless control (108030p by remote control).

Another alternative with the same capabilities for video and wifi control is the Panasonic TS5, which is ruggedized (waterproof, dustproof, shockproof). It is only different in having a more limited zoom. Given your proposed use out in the field going on very bumpy rides with flying dirt, perhaps a rugged video camera would be better.

You can see the view of the camera and the zoom control, plus there are options for other settings. Just put your finger on the red button to start the video, do it again to stop, easy. You can also place your finger on the view, just like on the camera lcd, to tell the camera where to focus (touch screen focus is replicated on the tablet).

The app for the Panasonic camcorder looks similar.
post #3 of 4 Old 05-09-2013, 04:54 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
That looks awesome! exactly the type of control i need. I was thinking about getting one that would be rugged but how good could the video be from a point and shoot camera? I wish they made a camcorder that was rugged. I would definitely get a warranty with this camcorder from a place like square Trade. so if it gets damaged from bouncing or dust it could be fixed.
as long as it has settings like shown it should be good for me.
if i have a gimbal it will be a little smother in the sense it wont be getting bounced around as much. i must likely will not be moving while filming. i'll just find my spot and park it.
thanks for the picture. i haven't seen any youtube videos on the app yet. unless im searching for the wrong thing.
thank you so much for the input. how far can you get? i will have to think long and hard on getting a camera. i think i'll stick to 1080/30p or 24 frames a second because i do my editing on my mac and i thought it has trouble doing 60p. i could be wrong.
post #4 of 4 Old 05-09-2013, 05:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Liked: 113
" I was thinking about getting one that would be rugged but how good could the video be from a point and shoot camera?"

As good as the best consumer camcorders, except in very dim light. That is what has really changed recently: great video from compact cameras (Sony RX100 and Hx9v-30v, Panasonic TS5, ZS30). All do 108060p.

Here are two videos from the TS5:

https://vimeo.com/64973020

https://vimeo.com/65692069

You can download the original 108060p videos and play them on your best screen.

And for a camcorder that is rugged (if you do not believe me that a compact camera is just as good), then look at the Sony GW77. It is also dustproof and waterproof and takes videos as good as the best consumer camcorders. There is a large thread devoted to that camcorder, with plenty of video examples, most downloadable too. But, of course, no remote wifi.

You really need to have a rugged model. Sony makes one large pro camcorder that is also ruggedized. You are taking videos in daylight, outside. Check them out. Dust will kill a camera.

If you have an old mac, maybe 60p is not good. But if you are making videos of movement (and you should, that is the point of video) there is nothing like 60 fps. There is mac software (not necessarily Apple) that will work fine with the 60p files from these cameras. 24p video is unusable for action. Don't even think about it, unless you plan to pretend you are making art films.
Reply Camcorders

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page