5 min Road trip , all handhelt Canon HF M50 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 17 Old 05-09-2013, 07:47 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Shot this while messing around at the airport and then a short road trip to town . I shot this in AVCHD but I think Youtube has definitely done a chop job on the video after I uploaded . Doesn't even give it a high choice on settings to at least 720p . Seems they are still editing the video . It's actually 5 mins long and if you sign in that's what you can see but if your not signed in you only get a min and half . Boy Youtube has sure changed things lately !

http://youtu.be/KOtSql9PJ9Y
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 05-10-2013, 03:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 93
Ron,

YouTube has some format guidlines that may help here: http://support.google.com/youtube/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=1722171&topic=2888648&ctx=topic

Bill
post #3 of 17 Old 05-10-2013, 05:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronlhodges View Post

Shot this while messing around at the airport and then a short road trip to town . I shot this in AVCHD but I think Youtube has definitely done a chop job on the video after I uploaded . Doesn't even give it a high choice on settings to at least 720p . Seems they are still editing the video . It's actually 5 mins long and if you sign in that's what you can see but if your not signed in you only get a min and half . Boy Youtube has sure changed things lately !

http://youtu.be/KOtSql9PJ9Y
Seems like a good camera. Good enough resolution, great natural colors, good autofocus. Now you need to shoot something.
post #4 of 17 Old 05-10-2013, 05:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Liked: 113
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ungermann View Post

Seems like a good camera. Good enough resolution, great natural colors, good autofocus. Now you need to shoot something.
And try editing.
post #5 of 17 Old 05-10-2013, 07:38 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsprague View Post

Ron,

YouTube has some format guidlines that may help here: http://support.google.com/youtube/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=1722171&topic=2888648&ctx=topic

Bill

Thanks for the link Bill . Will try to follow guide lines next time . Not so sure I really understand all those guides tho .
post #6 of 17 Old 05-10-2013, 07:43 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Thanks for the comments . I know I need to shoot something soon as I have a special event or more time .Sometimes I feel like time goes so fast !
Quote:
Originally Posted by markr041 View Post

And try editing.

I will gradually do more editing . Just for this I wanted to see how the camera stayed focus with handhelt and travel , I like the color check , and seeing how good the resolution came out . Where I live there isn't much of anything to shoot but eventually I will find more time and projects to shoot . Then i'll try being better at editing wink.gif .
post #7 of 17 Old 05-10-2013, 07:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Quote:

Ron,

Bill

Thanks for the link Bill . Will try to follow guide lines next time . Not so sure I really understand all those guides tho .
You do not need to, technically your video looks fine. With what frame rate did you shoot? YouTube shows anything between 22 and 26 fps, but I don't see any objectionable ghosting.
post #8 of 17 Old 05-11-2013, 08:34 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

You do not need to, technically your video looks fine. With what frame rate did you shoot? YouTube shows anything between 22 and 26 fps, but I don't see any objectionable ghosting.

Thanks for the reply . I have the choice of 60i , 30 FP or 24 FP and this particular video was at 60i .
post #9 of 17 Old 05-11-2013, 08:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Thanks for the reply . I have the choice of 60i , 30 FP or 24 FP and this particular video was at 60i .
Ron,

My understanding is that YouTube likes full frame "P" video, not interlaced "i" video. So, if it were me, I would try the "30FP" setting first and then the "24 FP".

On the other hand YouTube processes 70 hours of new video every minute. It comes from such a wide variety of cameras, that the wizards have made it pretty smart. Ungerman is usually spot on with the technical answers, even though I don't always get it.

Bill
post #10 of 17 Old 05-11-2013, 09:57 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Ron,

My understanding is that YouTube likes full frame "P" video, not interlaced "i" video. So, if it were me, I would try the "30FP" setting first and then the "24 FP".

On the other hand YouTube processes 70 hours of new video every minute. It comes from such a wide variety of cameras, that the wizards have made it pretty smart. Ungerman is usually spot on with the technical answers, even though I don't always get it.

Bill

Thanks for that info Bill . Next time i'll try the 24FP and see how well it does . Thing is with me is i'm always testing different settings and such and when it comes to really trying something good then time runs out on me frown.gif , or I have something come up and I can't get to it but i'll try to make more proper time next time to get serious about it . It's just I like to make sure i'm doing things right when I get serious about it wink.gif .
post #11 of 17 Old 05-11-2013, 10:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Thanks for that info Bill . Next time i'll try the 24FP and see how well it does . Thing is with me is i'm always testing different settings and such and when it comes to really trying something good then time runs out on me frown.gif , or I have something come up and I can't get to it but i'll try to make more proper time next time to get serious about it . It's just I like to make sure i'm doing things right when I get serious about it wink.gif .
I had to retire to have time for this goofy hobby!

But stuff still comes up. Today I have to put up an antenna and wire two TVs so I can tell DirecTV to shove it for bad service!
post #12 of 17 Old 05-11-2013, 08:26 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

I had to retire to have time for this goofy hobby!

But stuff still comes up. Today I have to put up an antenna and wire two TVs so I can tell DirecTV to shove it for bad service!

I don't blame you abit ! I had DTV back when I first bought a LG LCD HDTV . They ripped me good and I hate them still today ! They have reps out in the stores like Samsclub to sell and I tell each one how DTV is such a rip off and how they took me for over $400.00 ! When I get through talking my wife usually leaves my side and disappears and the reps usually hate me afterwards ! TOO BAD !!
post #13 of 17 Old 05-11-2013, 10:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Do not use PF24 unless you have tools to remove pulldown.

I wonder why YouTube shows average frame rate lower than 30fps and does not exhibit combing or ghosting considering that you shot at 60i.
post #14 of 17 Old 05-12-2013, 12:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 21
For the best quality on youtube or vimeo i find its best to make the film and render to the best quality file,the file can then easily be transfered to youtube or vimeo,i find frame rate immaterial as most software will happily mix different frame rates on the same timeline.
post #15 of 17 Old 05-13-2013, 01:02 AM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:

I shot this in AVCHD but I think Youtube has definitely done a chop job on the video after I uploaded . http://youtu.be/KOtSql9PJ9Y
The colors, brightness and sharpness of your M50 video look much worse than this car test video that was shot with an M500: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uZsgPrLOlpY So we know the fault is not with your M50 camera or Youtube. So the secret to getting Youtube videos to look as good the car test video above does must have something to do with the video editing and exporting procedures. Or possibly a polarizer or ND filter was used on the M500? In any case, no one on this forum seems to know what all these various secrets are and so no one can teach us how to make Youtube videos that look as good as the car test video above.
post #16 of 17 Old 05-13-2013, 06:09 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD90 View Post

The colors, brightness and sharpness of your M50 video look much worse than this car test video that was shot with an M500: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uZsgPrLOlpY So we know the fault is not with your M50 camera or Youtube. So the secret to getting Youtube videos to look as good the car test video above does must have something to do with the video editing and exporting procedures. Or possibly a polarizer or ND filter was used on the M500? In any case, no one on this forum seems to know what all these various secrets are and so no one can teach us how to make Youtube videos that look as good as the car test video above.

Well I can definitely tell the video link you posted was edited by someone much better than me . But I will say that when I test something specific like I did the road test the only editing I do myself is maybe cut clips to pieces that have no value whatsoever and what ever else is edited by Youtube once I upload it . Second remember that the actual road test was shot through my PU windshield so there is an disadvantage there also . So with those exceptions the car comparison with a M500 really would be no different from the M50 , just has to do with how it is shot and edited .
post #17 of 17 Old 05-13-2013, 09:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by flintyplus View Post

For the best quality on youtube or vimeo i find its best to make the film and render to the best quality file,the file can then easily be transfered to youtube or vimeo,i find frame rate immaterial as most software will happily mix different frame rates on the same timeline.
If you don't care about combing, ghosting and stuttering then yes, you should not bother about frame rate.
Reply Camcorders

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page