Adobe Creative Cloud "only" from now on. No more boxed sets. - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 05-09-2013, 09:50 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 32
http://www.adobe.com/aboutadobe/pressroom/pressreleases/201305/050613AdobeUpdatesCreativeCloud.html

The next major update to Adobe's professional software suit will be next month and in case anyone was wondering rather or not they should buy retail, upgrade or join the Cloud, Adobe decided to make the decision much easier by basically deciding for you.

Adobe's professional suit of applications have been gaining popularity very quickly and that could be one of many reasons why they feel they could take this risk even knowing that some people might object to not having a choice. That's sort of different to how Apple is treating Final Cut Pro. That software been getting a ton of bad press since day one even though it was significantly cheaper than the previous version and because of that, Apple been giving it a ton of well needed upgrades and it's still the original version. Basically the people who bought it day 1 never needed to pay for any updated version to this day. When companies panic,they become more careful with making sure they don't piss off consumers anymore while for something like Adobe that's been getting more praise each version they come out, they become more willing to take risks knowing that some consumer wont agree with the fact that they can't buy retail copies. Maybe other companies will also decide to go this route. One issue I have is what if your editing something for a client and it's due in a few days and all of a sudden the internet stop working during the time it's supposed to check if your software is still legal, you wouldn't be able to edit anymore until you get the computer back online. Luckily, we're becoming more and more connected and you can easily find someone who can get your computer online by tethering their cell phone if you don't have a phone that can already do that. It's still a risk nonetheless.

I'm definitely looking forward to trying out the next major Premiere, After Effects and Photo Shop. I'll hopefully be free for the first moth like previous Adobe software products.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 05-10-2013, 09:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 92
Q and A with the Adobe's VP of Creative Solutions: http://www.dpreview.com/news/2013/05/08/Adobe-photoshop-cc

" One issue I have is what if your editing something for a client and it's due in a few days and all of a sudden the internet stop working during the time it's supposed to check if your software is still legal, you wouldn't be able to edit anymore until you get the computer back online. "

In the Q & A, it it says those with an "annual commitment" get to be unconnected 99 days at a time and it will be extended to 180 days.

In a couple places Adobe says the reason for this is to streamline delivery of products that are changing at an accelerating rate. In other words, Adobe's product and feature improvement efforts outpace the old model of scheduled version releases. There is also the idea that those making a living with digital graphic arts need quick and available access to all of the Adobe tools, not just Premier or Photoshop.

Consumers and hobbyists seem complaining because they are "being forced" into renting what they thought they owned. Professionals seem to like the idea and have been signing up at a good pace since the debut. One writer did the math and the subscription version is actually a little cheaper than the boxed version, if you keep your software current.

Not scheduled for the Creative Cloud are the "affordable" products Lightroom, Premier Elements and Photoshop Elements. If you get past the "Elements is for beginners only" mentality, Adobe continues to provide hobbyists and amateurs with plenty of useful and effective tools.

Bill
post #3 of 4 Old 05-10-2013, 11:31 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 32
To go along with this plan, they'll need to make sure it's as bug free as possible especially by the time the new versions is released next month. People have had issues with the Cloud including someone I know. I haven't decided to go on the cloud yet but maybe by July I'll start. I like having as much freedom as possible when I'm editing so having the the more professional software version and the newest one is tempting. We'll see.
post #4 of 4 Old 05-10-2013, 03:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulo Teixeira View Post

To go along with this plan, they'll need to make sure it's as bug free as possible ......
If you mean bug free software, it seems that Adobe is creating an opportunity for fixing bugs. If one shows up, it can be fixed "in the cloud to the customers' advantage. If you mean the Creative Cloud process, I read they have a half million using it now, so it should be working fairly smoothly.

I'm sticking with the low end Elements and Lightroom systems. Lightroom has a nice scrub preview function. With it I can catalog videos (as well as photos), preview them and tag them for making copies of the original clips to a project specific SSD folder. When the project is complete I can archive the entire folder and the project assets.

Bill
Reply Camcorders

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page