HCX-900M inmage stabilization (rocking up and down) - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 05-11-2013, 01:09 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi all,

I love my HCX-900M but I'm a little disappointed in the image stabilization. Don't get me wrong, I am happy with the overall stabilization results except for one thing I started noticing: The image will rock slowly up and down (left/right) . You will notice this when not panning the camera. For instance, when recording beach scenes, the horizon will slowly rock up and left/right like a see-saw. Does anyone have any advice on how to prevent this? Should I turn IS off? Any help/advice will be greatly appreciated!

Mike
St. Louis
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-12-2013, 11:54 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi Mike,

This is noticeable with image stabilisation turned on. It can be avoided by turning off IS, however if you do that you will obviously encounter normal stabilisation issues. I also find it a little annoying at times, but generally the image stabilisation tends to work fairly well. Sorry I don't have a good fix! I would just suggest trying to keep the camera as stable as possible, even when IS is turned on. Also, turning guidelines on helps me ensure that I keep the horizon or other objects fixed in the frame when I'm filming - it's helped me avoid this problem with some of my footage.

Take care.
Old 08-12-2013, 11:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mlotsp View Post

Hi all,

I love my HCX-900M but I'm a little disappointed in the image stabilization. Don't get me wrong, I am happy with the overall stabilization results except for one thing I started noticing: The image will rock slowly up and down (left/right) . You will notice this when not panning the camera. For instance, when recording beach scenes, the horizon will slowly rock up and left/right like a see-saw.

Happens with Canon camcorders, also.
I think it's just the nature of the stabilization function.

If you put it on a tripod, turn off IS.