Video Slide Shows - an Advantage that Still Cameras Have for Video - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 13 Old 05-11-2013, 07:56 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked: 124
Sometimes a setting just does not lend itself to a video - there is hardly any action, just scenes (e.g., vistas, gardens, flowers, exhibits). But you want to make a video that has a story or provides a tour with a sequence. So, you take stills. With a still camera you get really high-quality stills and can make in any editor a superb full HD video (1920x1080) from them. Camcorders don't really take good stills, so this is an advantage still cameras that also do video have.

Here is an example, based on Panasonic LX7 stills:

Select 1080p, of course.

Here is the Vimeo version:

https://vimeo.com/65985546

You can download the original.

What is this?

The Grand Centennial Parade of Trains

Passenger trains from the 1920's, 40's, 50's and 60's traveled to Grand Central Terminal as part of its centennial celebration. A once in a lifetime experience to view restored passenger, dining and sleeping cars from the train glory days for two days only. And this has the highlights. Take a tour, as you will never be able to see this on your own.

10 megapixel photos made into a 1920x1080 video at 30 fps. And the light was very dim; most photos were taken at f1.4, ISO400-800, shutter speed 1/50th or less. A real struggle for taking any video.

Anyone else have video slide shows to share?

[Nobody prints pictures anymore, so this may be the most convenient way to share pictures. You can always pause the video to study a particular still.]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 05-12-2013, 03:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by markr041 View Post

.......Anyone else have video slide shows to share?

[Nobody prints pictures anymore, so this may be the most convenient way to share pictures. You can always pause the video to study a particular still.]
I like it and agree with you.

Which NLE did you use? Your stuff always seems to be a little sharper than my stuff. Could it be the software?

You should add some music! Take a trip through the Vimeo music store. They seem to be doing that service very well.

I'll take that bait! On my recent trip to the Grand Canyon, my goal was to capture the texture and color in the highest photo quality I could and weave it all into a video. I think I posted a link in another topic, but it won't hurt to post it here too.
https://vimeo.com/64474485

The video is mostly stills that were HDR processed, mixed with some video clips and then I added a little pan and zoom.

The stills have more detail on my computer screen prior to PP. I'm working at moving them through my NLE and through Vimeo's processor to get more of the detail in the originals.

[RE: Nobody prints pictures...] Going counter to the flow, I just bought a new Canon photo printer with 8 ink cartridges and the capacity for 13"x19" prints. I think it costs about $3 per print. The RX100 detail is prints far beyond what I achieved when a had a wet color darkroom and 35mm Nikons in the 70s. FWIW, Photoshop Elements outsells Premier Elements by a lot, iKea has a huge frame section and Walmart, Walgreens and Costco have busy printing services.

Short term, I've worked at mixing and learning two forms of graphic arts, photo and video. Long term, I want to expand that.

Bill
post #3 of 13 Old 05-12-2013, 04:36 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Your Grand Canyon video reminded me about video slide shows.

I used Sony Vegas Pro to make the video: placed the jpegs on the timeline and then rendered a 108030P MP4 at 26 Mbps using the highest quality settings (since the original jpegs were obviously 4k!), which used .H264 CABAC and high profile. Vimeo did the rest, but streaming at 1080p not 720p at my request.

I still make prints (8.5x11), to decorate my office.

The RX100 would have been ideal for the train challenge - it was all low-light in cramped quarters, so shot everything at widest angle, full aperture (24mm) where the RX100 shines.
post #4 of 13 Old 05-12-2013, 04:57 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:

Anyone else have video slide shows to share?

if you take video of same still photo shot and post it . i think the video shot will win hands down, even the video is not as sharp as photos(video slideshow).

i sometimes bring my sony hx9v together with my sony gw77 thinking i can shot both still and video. but i end up using the sony gw77 99%of the time.
post #5 of 13 Old 05-12-2013, 05:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

..........I still make prints (8.5x11), to decorate my office.
My RX100 purchase was pointed at learning digital photography that I had ignored until recently. One of the stumbling blocks was what to do with results, assuming I would get some. IKEA solved the framing and matting problem, which is either a hassle, hard work or expensive. I discovered last week they have a wide variety of nice looking frames that are cheap! The RIBBA 602.435.38 has a 11 1/2" by 15 1/4" hole cut in the matt that lets me get most of what my new large photo printer will produce. I still need to put in a little track lighting in my office/studio and hallway. I may have my own little art gallery yet!

Bill
post #6 of 13 Old 05-12-2013, 05:32 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Grand Centennial Parade of Trains Video Slide Show, version with music added (courtesy of Youtube):

Choose 1080.
post #7 of 13 Old 05-12-2013, 06:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 18
As a family we always watch photo slideshows on the big screen. I have made one photo slideshow via software editing in my entire life. I sure would like to make more though.

I always wish my wife would shoot her photo's in 16:9 mode with her camera, as that mode fills our big screen tv. I don't even know if her camera is capable of shooting in that mode. We do have prints of her pictures displayed throughout our home, but you can only frame so many.

I have my camera's and camcorders set to this mode when taking pictures. Does anyone set their camera or cam to shoot in 16:9 mode as well? What might be the disadvantages of shooting in the 16:9 mode, besides megapixels?

Go Phillies! Go Eagles! Go Sixers! Go Flyers!
post #8 of 13 Old 05-12-2013, 07:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tingham View Post

....... Does anyone set their camera or cam to shoot in 16:9 mode as well? What might be the disadvantages of shooting in the 16:9 mode, besides megapixels?
That is how I set mine so that I can mix photo and video. I never hold my camera vertical because it messes up the opportunities in putting together a show that fills the big screen TV.
post #9 of 13 Old 05-13-2013, 06:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 18
That's another reason why I shoot 16:9 photo's as well, mixing photo's and video for the big screen. My wife is too much vertical at times. When it's called for fine, but sometimes I think she shoots that orientation when the picture would be better taken normally.

Also, I would think music would be easier to integrate with photo slideshows than with video?

Go Phillies! Go Eagles! Go Sixers! Go Flyers!
post #10 of 13 Old 05-13-2013, 09:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Grand Centennial Parade of Trains Video Slide Show, version with music added (courtesy of Youtube):

I like the music. I didn't know YouTube made that available. I'm going to investigate!

Your documentary would be complete with a narration!

I read where the best sound booth in a typical home is in a car, parked in a garage. Cars are sound insulated against road noise, so will be pretty quiet when parked in a garage.

The idea is that you use a camcorder, like your TM900, pointed at a laptop playing the video. The video of the video can help in placing the narration clips in the right spots. In your editor you can unlink the audio from the video and put the narration clips where you want. When the narration is fixed in place, the second video track is deleted. Adjusting the volume of the music track with keyframes to allow the narration clips through adds to the effectiveness.

I haven't tried this yet. It's on the list!

Bill
post #11 of 13 Old 05-13-2013, 11:16 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsprague View Post

I like the music. I didn't know YouTube made that available. I'm going to investigate!

Your documentary would be complete with a narration!

I read where the best sound booth in a typical home is in a car, parked in a garage. Cars are sound insulated against road noise, so will be pretty quiet when parked in a garage.

The idea is that you use a camcorder, like your TM900, pointed at a laptop playing the video. The video of the video can help in placing the narration clips in the right spots. In your editor you can unlink the audio from the video and put the narration clips where you want. When the narration is fixed in place, the second video track is deleted. Adjusting the volume of the music track with keyframes to allow the narration clips through adds to the effectiveness.

I haven't tried this yet. It's on the list!

Bill

1. Yes, and you have your choice of "music." I think the piece was called child memories, under instrumentals. And it's free as part of offered enhancements. For this LX7 time-lapse (from another LX7 video mode) I also used Youtube's music:

2. Narration - I agree, on the train slide-show describing what each car was, when it was built etc. would have been useful. I have the program from the event so it is possible (and I kept to the ordering of the pictures to follow the program map).

3. Yes, car parked in garage, engine running, and closed garage door for best sound...

4. Nice idea. In some video editors though I think you can lay down a voice track directly in the editor as you play the video. Maybe even play your trumpet too...
post #12 of 13 Old 05-13-2013, 12:38 PM
AVS Special Member

3. No Mark, the engine is supposed to be off! My office/studio is near a road and there are always passing cars.

4. Premier Elements will use my laptop's mic or a plug in mic and I can lay down narration inside the editor. One day I'll try it in a quiet car.
post #13 of 13 Old 05-13-2013, 01:03 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Reply Camcorders

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page