Magic Lantern Enables Continous Sharp 1080p 24fps 14-Bit RAW DNG Video from Full Frame Canon 5D Mark III. EPIC! - Page 3 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #61 of 89 Old 06-06-2013, 12:39 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Thanks! I wouldn't say it's as sharp as the GH2's I owned for a pure resolution standpoint, but it's close. It just has that "look" now with raw - nice highlight roll-offs, shadow recovery and more dynamic range. Also still no moire and aliasing, and that nice full frame look. Sure doesn't look like a camcorder, and it takes professional grade stills.

Just need a faster computer now to process the raws. One would think an i7 with 12GB of ram would suffice, but it brings this box to its knees.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 89 Old 06-07-2013, 10:53 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 511 Post(s)
Liked: 234
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTyson View Post

Yeah, it does look pretty darn awesome. I'd pair it with speedbooster if I had one and make it a full frame low light monster as well. biggrin.gif
I just purchased the PK-NEX Lens Turbo adapter that works like the speedbooster but only in manual mode.

post #63 of 89 Old 06-07-2013, 08:26 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by jogiba View Post

I just purchased the PK-NEX Lens Turbo adapter that works like the speedbooster but only in manual mode.

Yeah, I've been reading about these new cheaper versions of Speedbooster. Are there any downfalls compared to the more expensive Metabones Speedbooster?

post #64 of 89 Old 06-08-2013, 09:34 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

There are no electrical contacts on them since they are NEX E mount adapters with focal reducer only but since almost all of my full frame PK mount lenses like the 24mm F1.4, 85mm F1.4 , 300mm F4 etc are manual focus I really don't need it. The Metabones Speedbooster cost $599 for the Canon EF version compared to under $200 for the PK-NEX Lens Turbo.
post #65 of 89 Old 06-08-2013, 01:01 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by jogiba View Post

There are no electrical contacts on them since they are NEX E mount adapters with focal reducer only but since almost all of my full frame PK mount lenses like the 24mm F1.4, 85mm F1.4 , 300mm F4 etc are manual focus I really don't need it. The Metabones Speedbooster cost $599 for the Canon EF version compared to under $200 for the PK-NEX Lens Turbo.
Do they have an MFT mount to EF version yet? I couldn't care less about electrical contacts since I use manual lenses as well. lol.
post #66 of 89 Old 06-08-2013, 04:36 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTyson View Post

Do they have an MFT mount to EF version yet? I couldn't care less about electrical contacts since I use manual lenses as well. lol.
Not in a speedbooster version, only in a regular EF-MFT adapter.
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/839146-REG/vello_la_mft_cef_lens_mount_adapter.html
post #67 of 89 Old 12-13-2016, 03:37 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Cool Just A heads Up

I stumbled on this thread through a google search for a camera known as the , you guessed it XA10. I read three pages bashing it and people saying how it will "never be used" for this and that, so here I go lighting a fire up.

The XA10 will be the camera model used in the filming of a new TV Show that will be airing in 2018 on a very well known television network , (surprisingly what.....) , principle photography of the 24 episode 1st season will start in March. This is not two people with a camera, this production has the usual sliders, dollies, jibs, and it has full lighting and double system sound ingestion using lavs and booms. (lets face it 9 times out of 10 the audio onboard with this and the DSLRS is a nightmare)

We are acutely aware its not an ARRI or a RED that everyone drools over. but we will aim to make some damn good television.

That is all for now!
post #68 of 89 Old 12-13-2016, 09:25 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 516 Post(s)
Liked: 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by reelz View Post
I stumbled on this thread through a google search for a camera known as the , you guessed it XA10. I read three pages bashing it and people saying how it will "never be used" for this and that, so here I go lighting a fire up.

The XA10 will be the camera model used in the filming of a new TV Show that will be airing in 2018 on a very well known television network , (surprisingly what.....) , principle photography of the 24 episode 1st season will start in March. This is not two people with a camera, this production has the usual sliders, dollies, jibs, and it has full lighting and double system sound ingestion using lavs and booms. (lets face it 9 times out of 10 the audio onboard with this and the DSLRS is a nightmare)

We are acutely aware its not an ARRI or a RED that everyone drools over. but we will aim to make some damn good television.

That is all for now!
This does not say much about the camera or about the show. Many crappy shows are shot with 35mm, and many great ones are shot with DV or HDV. If you can do as good as "No Reservations" by Anthony Bourdain you will be in a good company (they moved from HVR-V1U long ago, but those old shows are still very watchable).

Also, I hope that people actually involved in the show for a very well known television network know the difference between principle and principal:

* principle -- rule of action or a fundamental doctrine
* principal -- first or highest in rank or value
post #69 of 89 Old 12-13-2016, 09:43 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 491 Post(s)
Liked: 180
Quote:

That is all for now!
Welcome to the forum. I hope you are around in 2018 to post what we should watch.

Somewhere I've posted the opinion that there is a huge Canon customer base full of people that need to be in the Canon comfort zone. The skilled members of that group can get quality out of anything. Nobody here will ever know, but my bet is that the XA10 is a best selling camera, regardless of any reviews here.
post #70 of 89 Old 12-13-2016, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ungermann View Post
This does not say much about the camera or about the show. Many crappy shows are shot with 35mm, and many great ones are shot with DV or HDV. If you can do as good as "No Reservations" by Anthony Bourdain you will be in a good company (they moved from HVR-V1U long ago, but those old shows are still very watchable).
Its funny that you said that about no reservations, It was one of the inspirations for the show! I was watching some older episodes the other day and was in awe of the first show "paris" and what they are running with now!

Quote:
Also, I hope that people actually involved in the show for a very well known television network know the difference between principle and principal:

* principle -- rule of action or a fundamental doctrine
* principal -- first or highest in rank or value
Yeah yeah yeah, ha ha, I was tired last night so sue me. Spelling is the least of our problems!
post #71 of 89 Old 12-13-2016, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsprague View Post
Welcome to the forum. I hope you are around in 2018 to post what we should watch.
Ill be here, we will do our best. And as for your comment about a best seller, it continues to fetch a high price even used those suckers are expensive. As for whether it will be good enough only time (and the content) will tell.

Wish it had Magic Lantern though
post #72 of 89 Old 12-13-2016, 03:21 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Its funny that you said that about no reservations, It was one of the inspirations for the show! I was watching some older episodes the other day and was in awe of the first show "paris" and what they are running with now!
The first season shot on DVX, barely standard def, 4:3 looked kinda rough, but after they switched to the V1U it got much better. But you, I am sure, are aware that they moved on since, first to DSLRs and then to proper big sensor videocams. So as much as 1/3-inch camera is not a critical component by itself, after they got to the bottom of what they could do with such a camera, they upgraded. In a way, you will have something they had 10 years ago, which was great and still looks good, but one can see a difference compared to modern lush productions. At least their approach to “a man walks into a bar” did not change much – minimum rehearsal and prep.

In any case, it is mostly about content, so I sincerely wish you luck!
post #73 of 89 Old 12-13-2016, 04:14 PM

Oh I am very much aware of the internals of that show, part of the research. I cannot say we will ever have the equipment or the "insane budget" they do, but as you said its all about content.

I am a big fan of Zac Z and Todd L (The guys that film that show) and have watched countless presentations that zac has held. I was also born in the same state as Zac.

Anthony always talks about how he wants the next show to be different then the last, and its up to his crew to shape that. I love that in one regard , but in another I cannot see much wrong with following one "production treatment" for a whole season (or possibly switching between two or three at the most). Anthony also has this strange "phobia" for a sound guy, something our host does not. So that is one reason we will be running a full albeit small sound crew.

From the equipment side I have looked at Easyrigs, superspeed lens, and the cameras they use make me dizzy just looking at them.

Sure we will most likely fall somewhere in between season 1 of "no reservations" , also known as cooks tour I believe, and what they do now. I hope the XA10 is at least powerful enough to allow us to look closer to the latter then the former.

I know that we do not have their money, resources, or even crew. What I do know is we have a good show, with great content and no one has ever filmed in a lot of these locations before. I also know we worked hard to build a support network that are more friends in these areas then coworkers.

In the end its these crew, these friends and these beautiful places combined with some creative writing that will bring it all together. The XA10 will be front and center for the ride.

Thanks so much for your best wishes!
post #74 of 89 Old 12-13-2016, 06:16 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Oh I am very much aware of the internals of that show, part of the research. I cannot say we will ever have the equipment or the "insane budget" they do, but as you said its all about content.

I am a big fan of Zac Z and Todd L (The guys that film that show) and have watched countless presentations that zac has held. I was also born in the same state as Zac.

Anthony always talks about how he wants the next show to be different then the last, and its up to his crew to shape that. I love that in one regard , but in another I cannot see much wrong with following one "production treatment" for a whole season (or possibly switching between two or three at the most). Anthony also has this strange "phobia" for a sound guy, something our host does not. So that is one reason we will be running a full albeit small sound crew.

From the equipment side I have looked at Easyrigs, superspeed lens, and the cameras they use make me dizzy just looking at them.

Sure we will most likely fall somewhere in between season 1 of "no reservations" , also known as cooks tour I believe, and what they do now. I hope the XA10 is at least powerful enough to allow us to look closer to the latter then the former.

I know that we do not have their money, resources, or even crew. What I do know is we have a good show, with great content and no one has ever filmed in a lot of these locations before. I also know we worked hard to build a support network that are more friends in these areas then coworkers.

In the end its these crew, these friends and these beautiful places combined with some creative writing that will bring it all together. The XA10 will be front and center for the ride.

Thanks so much for your best wishes!
I wish Travel Channel did not remove the trove of Q&A, interviews, artistic and technical discussions from their website after they parted with A.B. Tons of info has perished.

So yours will be a sort of travel show as well? Please, check back after it is released, it is always great to talk to someone who actually does things.

Just wondering: since yours is a professional team, why the XA10, which shoots AVCHD, why not, say, the XF100 that shoots broadcast-approved 4:2:2 @ 50 Mbit/s? Or the Sony PXW-X70? Is it the price? The size? The attachment to Canon stuff?

Last edited by Ungermann; 12-13-2016 at 09:13 PM.
post #75 of 89 Old 12-13-2016, 09:24 PM

Quote:

So yours will be a sort of travel show as well? Please, check back after it is released, it is always great to talk to someone who actually does things.

Just wondering: since yours is a professional team, why the XA10, which shoots AVCHD, why not, say, the XF100 that shoots broadcast-approved 4:2:2 @ 50 Mbit/s? Or the Sony PXW-X70? Is it the price? The size? The attachment to Canon stuff?
Yeah very much about travel, but from a less "run over" look at things, which was not easy to construct.

I will be completely honest with you the network has not "guaranteed" to pay us, so were doing this on a "ghost" budget. This means getting the camera we felt we needed not the one we "wanted". Alot of our "equipment" would be laughed at by the pros, But I believe that with the right crew we can make this show awesome.

If the show is a success an equipment upgrade will be mandatory, however I fully hope to retain the original crew once we get a budget boost and a paycheck.

To be blunt we are doing this because we love travel, we love adventure and we know others do too. Even if no one ever watches it on any of our distribution platforms, what an adventure its going to be.

I found this nugget of text on a quora forum last night, it mainly refers to scriptwriting, but I think it will apply to us as well.

"More importantly, you will have created a remarkable TV show that has been watched in millions of living rooms all over the country, and maybe the world. Most people would tell you, that's the real goal.
But personally, I think the REAL goal is that you'll have made this show with a team of talented, wise, diverse individuals and in the process, made them into a loose-knit, hardworking family for six weeks, six months or six years."

I am not going anywhere, we have a major issue with sound right now and I am desperately searching for someone who can help me make a decision.

I believe the equipment is very important, but I think its more about the content and the crew working with what they have to tell a great story!
post #76 of 89 Old 12-13-2016, 09:31 PM

this would have been a great one to take along!

https://www.amazon.com/Canon-XF300-D...ZW2JE8KWB4ZQ7X
post #77 of 89 Old 12-14-2016, 12:52 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I believe the equipment is very important, but I think its more about the content and the crew working with what they have to tell a great story!
Is there a chance to see your work on YouTube or Vimeo?
post #78 of 89 Old 12-14-2016, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Is there a chance to see your work on YouTube or Vimeo?

Hey, are you referring to present (This project) or past work?
post #79 of 89 Old 12-14-2016, 02:26 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Hey, are you referring to present (This project) or past work?
Whichever you feel like sharing. Thank you!
post #80 of 89 Old 12-14-2016, 03:09 PM

Quote:
Whichever you feel like sharing. Thank you!
To be blatantly honest with you upfront (as I have been on other forums) my past camera, sound, lighting and even basic directing work has been in the Adult Industry. Its possible you have seen some of my work lol.

I do have my girlfriends facebook if you want to link to her to see her vacation videos (I produced those as professionally as I could) , what makes them interesting is the vacation took place in many of the same locations that we will be shooting in next year (not by coincidence).

Anyway It was all done with a point and shoot canon and a iphone to light her externally, so I am not expecting an emmy for it. I found the more I shoot and edit the stronger I get.

When I first started editing years ago I would aim to throw all these effects and everything a program had into something. Now I have started to "edit on camera" as I shoot I see the edit I want. This often allows me to only have to cut the "action" and "cut" off each clip. To further expand on this a bit when I direct the series I fully intend on using the same style. I do not know if its right or wrong to do it this way.

The way I see it was Zac was once asked how many hours typically go into one 45 minute edit for bordains show. When he said between 60-90 hours my jaw almost hit the floor! If my host is walking near a waterfall and I know I need 1 minute of that scene for the edit I will have the DP shoot for 2 minutes, not 30!

If the clips are smaller and you leave a little overlap on each side for the editor to decide where it should go, I imagine this would speed up the filming, not wear out the host, and keep the crew real happy. When you "got the shot" you "got the shot" , no need to sit around for hours.

Then again this style may be completely wrong , which is probably why the easyrig companies make millions. if you had to hold a 9 pound camera for twelve hours a day for 6 days, yeah i would want one of those too. I see how I want it to look in my head in real time, and while I am very aware it "wont always go that way" , I think concise edits on location make for a better experience. I never liked wading through all the hours of my old movies, only to make a 3 minute clip for my friends.

I am sorry I ranted, I guess that had been in my head for awhile and just needed to write it down. I do not mind sharing her facebook if you all (or any of you) want to see some of the videos!

Let me know!
post #81 of 89 Old 12-14-2016, 04:37 PM

Actually she said they are all public so feel free!

Videos
post #82 of 89 Old 12-14-2016, 05:18 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Actually she said they are all public so feel free!

Videos
Facebook wants me to log in to see videos. I do not have Facebook account. But this is ok, maybe some other time.
post #83 of 89 Old 12-14-2016, 05:36 PM

I will put them on a server, give me some time!

I hate facebook too but unfortunately its where the masses hang out so well, for business reasons its obvious

give me some time to think on this!
post #84 of 89 Old 12-14-2016, 06:04 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 198 Post(s)
Liked: 92
What does a XA10 have to do with magic lantern on a 5D3????

The XA10 is an obsolete camera. The quality out of it is not going to be that great by todays standards. I have a G30, which is a more advanced camera, and I find it shocking that a "professional" would consider using something like that when there are much better and more capable options available.
post #85 of 89 Old 12-14-2016, 07:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tugela View Post
What does a XA10 have to do with magic lantern on a 5D3????
I sort of hijacked this thread, it was not intentional. Tbh I was waiting for this sort of thing to trickle in. Ungermann, I will most likely start a new thread later on, so keep an eye out for it, Ill also send you a message when I do!

Good talking to you!

Quote:
and I find it shocking that a "professional" would consider using something like that when there are much better and more capable options available.
May be a better camera then what we are going to shoot with but it didn't get you on TV did it?. The XA10 will be just fine!
post #86 of 89 Old 12-15-2016, 04:04 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 198 Post(s)
Liked: 92
No it won't. Those small sensor Canons have a lot of purple fringing, which is pretty obvious once you realize that it is there. They are also extremely soft, which is very noticeable in wide angle shots (the sort of thing you will be shooting in a travel doc). Anyone watching of a big screen TV is going to pick that up right away. The XA10 was camera for a bygone age, when IQ standards were lower and TVs much smaller than they are now.

I have a G30, which is the consumer version of the XA20/25 (exactly the same, other than the handle), so I know what I am talking about. Incidentally, the XA20/25 have been superseded by the XA30/35 now.
post #87 of 89 Old 12-15-2016, 04:35 AM

Ok I am not going to piss and moan about this, the kind of people that drool over a 70" LCD are not going to be our audience anyway.

Also If you know so much about cameras you will also know that the Hit show on MTV "Catfish" are filmed with XA10s-20s. Are these cameras outdated, absolutely. This message will be outdated after you read it.

I spent 12 years working in IT, I watched people drool and fight over the "latest" thing. Its possible that the latest thing is not necessary to make good content.

Maybe we will have the issues you speak of , maybe we wont.

The point is the production was greenlighted by people higher then you and me and the whole crew put together. its not the best camera, but it will be the best team, making an awesome show.

BTW You don't have to watch if you don't want to.

Sorry if this sounds harsh, but your telling us we are not good enough, and we already have the green light.

Your welcome to go film a competing TV series and then challenge us later down the road!

Thanks everyone for the positive comments and support, we all appreciate it and we will do our best to bring you good content in 2018 once post production is finished.
post #88 of 89 Old 12-15-2016, 10:28 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
The XA10 was camera for a bygone age, when IQ standards were lower and TVs much smaller than they are now.
I did not know Canon was making this camera 20 years ago. ;-)

In any case, TVs are getting larger but not as large as some may think. I have a 50-inch plasma TV and I do not feel discomfort watching professionally mastered DVDs. Considering barely standard-def stretched crap people still get through their cable provider, I think you are in a minority.

post #89 of 89 Old 12-15-2016, 11:28 AM

Quote:
I did not know Canon was making this camera 20 years ago. ;-)

In any case, TVs are getting larger
True Story: When we were on the scouting trip we would occasionally hitch a ride with people in the pickups on the side of the road. Once when I was in Ecuador I grabbed a ride with two guys coming from Quito (the major capital) with a 42 inch lcd. They had journey 7 hours in buses with money saved up for two years to have that one TV. They sat in the back with the chickens and the gas containers like proud parents. They were not even related but friends.

When I think back on the sacrifices and the standards those people live by, yet they are a happy people.

I digress, the point is the western world is afforded stuff we really do not need. Its a fact that even now Youtube cannot render 4K properly.

The point is illustrated hilariously in this video.

I guess we will make what we can with what we have, and damn the rest!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Camcorders