Slowing Down Dog Treks videos, I am new to this please help :) - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 42 Old 05-24-2013, 12:26 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I will start at the beginning like I am in kindergarten! I run a company in northern Canada called Dog Treks, we offer off leash hiking, dog packs of 8-10 dogs at a time in the bush. I take a lot of pictures and videos, mostly with my cell, and they kinda suck. I watched a video on youtube of some cats playing and the guy slowed it down, and it looked awesome. I want to do this for two reasons, one for pure enjoyment and entertainment, set to music, slowed right down the dogs are pretty amazing. Secondly I want analyze the videos so I can further understand the pack environment, with dogs, fights break out there are dominance issues, the human eye cant pick up, so as I become a better pack leader, I want to be able to understand the subtle changes, as in hair standing up, stance, stiffness, lip curls etc, and be able to show it to my clients so they understand what areas their dog needs work.

I am looking for a good video camera, can take short 2-5 minute long videos in the bush, ok with cold it is Canada, I need to know how to slow it down, what software, and I don't want to spend more then 200-300 on the camera itself. Also if the video camera had a setting to take pictures as well that would be great, I don't know if they do that.

While I am interacting with the pack I guess I would need a tripod, I have never owned one, so any advice on that would be great, I am a gal I hike in 5-10km a day with the pack, so not too heavy, I am 5'11 though, so I can carry a good weight in a backpack.

Any advice would be wonderful, and please try and keep it simple, I am sure there are some super experts on here, too much language and techy-ness (not a word I know) will make me more confused, I just want a few names of cameras, where to get them, tripod info for the bush and software to slow it all down. Here in northern Canada I have the ability to take videos of bears, moose, ducks and geese, and to be able to slow down like a Canada goose taking off would be pretty cool!!

Thanks so much, hope to hear something soon smile.gif

If any dog lovers would like to check out my business website just for great pictures of the dog packs it is

www.sudburydogwalks.com

I included some pix but they are with my cell not great but good and they make any dog lover smile!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 42 Old 05-24-2013, 05:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Hi moonhunter and welcome to the forum! There are several relatively inexpensive slow motion cameras available. Here is a paraphrase of an answer I gave in another thread to someone who wanted to slow down baseball games.

The highest resolution slow motion you can get at a reasonable price is from one of four cameras:

1. The CDN$380 (shipped from Japan) 20x zoom Panasonic ZS30 (TZ40) shoots 120fps at 720p high definition resolution and 240fps at VGA resolution for a 4x or 8x slow down at 30fps (thanks to guru MarkR for this suggestion).

Here is what the UK version can do at 200fps and100fps (conformed to 25fps for an 8x and 4x slow down respectively):

2. The CDN$445.14 3.8x optical zoom Panasonic LX7 (120 frames per second at 720p):

3. The CDN$400 GoPro Hero 3 Black and a CDN$99.95 GoPro LCD Touch BacPac screen for playback. This camera has no zoom and few standard camera controls, but is very robust and waterproof and can shoot at up to 120fps at 720p:

4. The CDN$600 24x optical zoom Panasonic FZ200 with external mic jack (also 120fps at 720p and 240fps VGA):

If size is a factor, the ZS30 and LX7 are pocket cameras - the FZ200 is not. One advantage for the FZ200 is that you can flip the LCD screen forward so you can see the image while you are in front of the camera. This might be helpful if you need to manage the dogs while the camera is rolling.

For video shooting, you really need a fluid head tripod. Although they are not the lightest, I like Ravelli tripods as good value for your money.

Their heavier fluid head tripod, the Ravelli AVTP (rebranded with the Cowboy Studio label) is CDN$155, while the lighter version, the AVT, is CDN$181.

Hope this is helpful,

Bill
Hybrid Camera Revolution.
markr041 likes this.
post #3 of 42 Old 05-24-2013, 09:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked: 97
Hoping to add a little to the recommendations, most current cameras and camcorders can record in a format called "AVCHD 1080p60". It means they take 60 frames every second. Almost all video editing software can slow the playback down for "slow motion". And, each frame can be "captured" as a snapshot. If you don't need the 120 or 240 frames per second in the models suggested, there may be good choices in the rugged, waterproof category. It does appear that your environment might be a little wet and rainy sometimes!

If you think rugged and waterproof are important, folks here can make suggestions. If rugged and waterproof are not important, the choices Bill offers are very good.
post #4 of 42 Old 05-26-2013, 01:35 AM - Thread Starter

Wow thanks so much for your reply. Some really good info I watched all the videos. I could get the best idea of what I am looking for by viewing the snowboarding video, now to me it looked like they were filming at regular speed, and when the boarder got close they slowed it down, is that an option mid film? Also I was under the impression someone takes the video first and then slows down sections they want, but it is being recorded at those slower speeds right? Can you film something at regular speed and slow down action sections? And what is the play back slow or regular? The people walking and the buses I couldn't tell how slow that was, I couldn't get a good idea anyway. I want air jumps, dogs wrestling and I want to slow it right down. Also I know (may sound silly) but in my head it seems 100 fps would be slower, as it is only showing 100 frames, compared to 200, but I googled it and they said the bigger the number the slower and more fluid, any ideas on that?

I think I might be looking for much slower then 100 or 200, a website with awesome slow mow videos are talking 750 all the way up to 18 000, so is the issue the price? One guy blows up 5 cooling towers at 350 fps and says any slower they would just be paused in mid air. If I am going to spend $400, but for an extra $100 or so I could get one that films much slower, then I will save for an extra week, its well worth it. I want zoom, ( I notice zoom on a lot of cameras once you set it and start rolling, you cant zoom in and out while filming, has this changed?) I wont be using a tripod a lot at first, its hard to set up these shots, I start sensing the energy of the pack and I just whip out my cell and try and catch them jumping the water, or wrestling or whatever, my clients love the pix where the dogs are in the air, ears flying, jumping water, I could just imagine how much they would love the slow videos.

http://www.visionresearch.com/gallery/ is where I found some pretty cool slowmo videos and the one where he drops the cat (in a nice way) he used a Phantom Miro M / LC320S~ maybe these are super expensive I don't know,thanks!!

I guess a simple question is, if you had 10 dogs in the bush all running and swimming and jumping in the lake ( I live in a city that has 350 lakes within the city limits the most in any city in the world! yay) what camera for under $400-$500 would you get, and can I get them at a best buy, or Future shop or do I have to order from Japan, or online.

Thanks so much, your responses got me pumped that I can really get into this for my business...smile.gif))
post #5 of 42 Old 05-26-2013, 01:38 AM - Thread Starter

P.s I don't know if a mics come in most video cameras, or if most inexpensive cameras offer 100-200 and maybe 300 fps or is 100/200 is the standard. I would like to maybe add music to the video after, but at some times catch the actual pack noises. That's why I asked about converting the video from regular speed, I guess its better to film it in slow motion, but do you know any programs to add music, cut out parts, edit etc?

thanks again
post #6 of 42 Old 05-26-2013, 01:45 AM - Thread Starter

I live in northern Canada not on the coast, I live in Sudbury, Ontario, we don't get a lot of rain, but from Dec-March it is often -20 to -30 C. So I find even my cell phone freezes up, waterproof I guess if I am down on the ground I like to film at ground level sometimes so the dogs are above me, that can get messy. I don't want to ruin the lens, scratch it or anything. it is rugged here I guess you could say< I live for the forest and lakes and I have scratched many a lens and dropped many a cell into the lake, a nice strap would be essential.

So you are saying most cameras, can do 60 fps and each frame can be selected as a snapshot, so a picture essentially, and you are also saying although 60 fps is not as slow, I can get my hands on software that can slow it even further. Any suggestions for user friendly, not to techy software, I would like to add music even, or cut parts out when a dog steps on my head and I yell F&*k!! biggrin.gif

I will ask you the same question, if you had 10 dogs in the boreal forest, it could be -30 (jan-march) or +30 (june to Sept) and you wanted to see as much detail as possible, be nice and fluid, can be easily copied to a pc and sent to individual clients via email I guess, what camera would you buy under $400-$500??

Thanks

Melanie
post #7 of 42 Old 05-26-2013, 01:48 AM - Thread Starter

I sent a big reply I don't see it maybe it is being reviewed so the last 2 (3 including this one) follow the main one, hope it shows up. eek.gif
post #8 of 42 Old 05-26-2013, 01:57 AM - Thread Starter

shoots 120fps at 720p high definition resolution and 240fps at VGA resolution for a 4x or 8x slow down at 30fps (thanks to guru MarkR for this suggestion).

I don't know what this conversion means...shoots at 120 for 4 x slower or 240 for 8 x slower, but whats the 30fps and the 25 fps, how are you going from 120 and 240 to 30 and 25, sorry I just don't get the fps quite yet.

It seems to me the best one you have described for my needs is the first one, it goes up to 240, fits in my pocket and is the cheapest, any downfalls

OK I promise that's it!! lolol
post #9 of 42 Old 05-26-2013, 02:06 AM - Thread Starter

sorry I lied...one more...I read the specs of the cameras you mentioned Panasonic LUMIX DMC-FZ200 12.1 MP Digital Camera - looks pretty awesome, but I noticed it said video recording speed is either 120 or 240, now I am totally confused, what is a normal video shot at, they don't mention anything about slow motion, if those are the only two options and they are slow motion, you cant record at regular speed, remember kindergarten!! lol
post #10 of 42 Old 05-26-2013, 09:26 AM
AVS Special Member

It will be difficult to give you an intro course on video here. But, maybe a couple basics.

The standard for movies in the film days was 24 fps (frames per second). Because it "looks like flim", may want their digital video cameras to do that too. As the world turned, Europe, Japan and other countries ran their TVs on electricity that has 50 cycles per second, so 25 frames per second seemed close. As TVs got better, 50 frames per second seemed better for fast motion sports. Not wanting to be the same as the rest of the world, the USA lead the Americas to 60 cycle electricity so our TVs can be good at 30 or 60 fps. So, "normal" video can be shot on some more expensive cameras at 24, 25, 30, 50 and 60 frames per second. The playback device will figure it out and play "normally".

Video shot at 50 or 60 frames per second can be turned into good "slow motion" with editing software, called "Non Linear Editors" or NLEs. There are about 30 on the market to choose from. Some people want to turn speeding bullets, water drops or golf balls into slow motion. It is a subset of "vidoegraphy" called (I think) "high speed video" because the cameras have to run at very high frame rates. Some consumer prices cameras, like the FZ200, have the option of shooting faster frame rates of 120 or 240, but the picture quality has to be reduced somewhat. 120 or 240 will do a pretty good job of slowing down a golf swing, but the speeding golf ball itself will be blurred.

You may not be able to gather enough knowledge to buy the perfect camera. Video is very different from photography. Until you shoot video for awhile and learn your own style and habits, you can't possibly know how to pick "the right one".

My suggestion is to buy a camera like the FZ200 simply because it is so highly rated by many, is suitable for a wide variety of purposes and is surprisingly inexpensive for what it does. You will have the opportunity to learn what you can do.

The FZ200 comes with "NLE" software that may be suitable for your purposes, including slow motion. Take the time to learn it and make a few "videos" that you like. If you want to go further, want to make more "creative" video you have to make the decision that you are willing to invest some significant learning time. If you do make that decision, buy a more capable and flexible NLE. I think the two most popular may be versions of Adobe Premier and Sony Vegas that are priced at around $80 to $100.

Good luck with this! I enjoy what you are doing with dogs!

Bill
post #11 of 42 Old 05-26-2013, 09:27 AM
AVS Special Member

I will give a more complete answer when I can (I am out camping smile.gif), but normal speed is 24 to 30 fps, so 120 is about four or five to one and 240 is eight or ten to one.

Any slower than that (at a decent resolution) will cost you a lot more than $500!

Cheers,

Bill
Hybrid Camera Revolution
post #12 of 42 Old 05-26-2013, 09:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brunerww View Post

I will give a more complete answer when I can (I am out camping smile.gif), but normal speed is 24 to 30 fps, so 120 is about four or five to one and 240 is eight or ten to one.

Any slower than that (at a decent resolution) will cost you a lot more than $500!

Cheers,

Bill
Hybrid Camera Revolution

Where are you camping? I'm camping in the heart of Washington State's Wine Country in Prosser.

Bill (the other one)
post #13 of 42 Old 05-26-2013, 12:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 195 Post(s)
Liked: 141
A little more info on slo-mo:

This statement was made above: "Some consumer prices cameras, like the FZ200, have the option of shooting faster frame rates of 120 or 240 fps, but the picture quality has to be reduced somewhat. 120 or 240 will do a pretty good job of slowing down a golf swing, but the speeding golf ball itself will be blurred."

This statement is a little misleading at the end (only). Blur and frame rate have nothing to do with each other. Like in conventional photography, blur depends on shutter speed, period. Think of frame rate as the number of pictures per second. Each picture will not be blurred if 1. nothing is moving or 2. something is moving but the shutter speed is relatively fast. Blur has nothing to do with how many pictures you take or how fast you take them (except you cannot use too slow a shutter speed if the frame rate is slowed). If you want less blur, shoot at a faster shutter speed. With me so far? Well, for regular video, you actually want blur; we see fast motion blurred with our eyes, so in video having moving objects slightly blurred makes for smooth looking video. But for slow mo, you want less blur. So, for regular-speed video you shoot at 1/60th of a second (60 fps frame rate); for slo-mo, a shutter speed faster than that, maybe 1/125th or faster. The camera will choose a faster shutter speed for you, if it is an FZ200.

Now, let's say you have the FZ200, as I do. It makes life really easy.

Shoot regular video at 108060p (that is 60 fps) to get the highest quality (1/60th of s second shutter for smooth motion) HD video. And, as Bill, said, you can slow that 60 fps video down to a less rapid frame rate (say, 30 fps) to get slo-mo, but that takes work in an editor. Forget that, given you are in kindergarten.

The camera provides an alternative to regular speed (it also has other options for regular speed, of 30 fps). You can have it shoot video at 1280x720 resolution at a frame rate of 120 fps and then *in the camera* it automatically creates a 1280x720 video at 30 fps. - a 1/4-speed video, real slo-mo. It is HD, it looks ok. Nothing to do with blur.

In an editor, you can combine the regular video, shot at 108060p, with the slo-mo video 72030p and output all of it at 72030p and you will have both regular motion and then slow motion all at 1280x720 resolution (HD). Converting a 108060p video to a 72030p video does not create slo-mo. To get slo mo from regular mo video, you have to do more than convert the frame rate, you have to stretch the video in time too. As I said, too much work. Use the camera to take and make slo-mo and regular mo. [what is confusing is that the slo-mo modes are called high-speed!] But just pay attention to what I said: 60 fps for regular speed, 120 fps for slo mo (yes there is also 240 fps, but that is at a very low resolution that does not mix well with HD regular-speed video).

If this is confusing, read a book on video, take a course, watch an instructional video (in regular mo). Or, better, just get the camera and try out the modes and watch and learn from what you shot. And then when you like what you got, post it here. We talk too much, and take and see too little video. smile.gif
post #14 of 42 Old 05-26-2013, 03:09 PM - Thread Starter

I am definitely a get the camera and try out some videos until I figure it out kinda girl. Thanks so much for your replies, I am reading thru it all and will definitely be looking at the cameras mentioned!. I was pretty sure the 18 000 fps would be a SUPEr expensive camera, thanks for listing ones in my price range. smile.gif
post #15 of 42 Old 05-26-2013, 03:14 PM - Thread Starter

The FZ200 is a bit pricey for a starter, would it be much easier to buy this one then say the 20x zoom Panasonic ZS30 (TZ40), easier I mean in terms of getting to know the camera, my shooting style, also the FZ200 doesn't fit in my pocket, I like the spec of the ZS30, easy to carry, shove it in my pocket when I need to grab a leash. Can I with confidence say the ZS30 at under $400CND will shoot 120/240, teach me a lot about slowing down, be compatible with slow down software, can add music etc?
post #16 of 42 Old 05-26-2013, 03:19 PM - Thread Starter

yay! I love camping, just did a 3 week camp trip a couple summers ago in the Canadian Rockies, Jasper and Banff, hiked mount Robson about 30 km round trip, biggest mountain in our Rockies, saw so many bears, but I am use to bears, been air vacced out once camping with three gals the bears were about to eat us for dinner but that's another story...I hear Washington is beautiful, I have camped in the US, the Adirondacks, I drove into Montana, Glacier National Park, and took highway 2 right into Ontario, went thru MInnesota camped at the headwaters of the MISSISSIPPI....I camp mostly in northern Ontario around here, the great lakes system, lots of rivers and lakes, lots of kayaking and star gazing, isn't life grand!!
post #17 of 42 Old 05-26-2013, 03:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by markr041 View Post

.....This statement was made above: "Some consumer prices cameras, like the FZ200, have the option of shooting faster frame rates of 120 or 240 fps, but the picture quality has to be reduced somewhat. 120 or 240 will do a pretty good job of slowing down a golf swing, but the speeding golf ball itself will be blurred."

This statement is a little misleading at the end (only). Blur and frame rate have nothing to do with each other. Like in conventional photography, blur depends on shutter speed, period. Think of frame rate as the number of pictures per second. Each picture will not be blurred if 1. nothing is moving or 2. something is moving but the shutter speed is relatively fast. Blur has nothing to do with how many pictures you take or how fast you take them (except you cannot use too slow a shutter speed if the frame rate is slowed). If you want less blur, shoot at a faster shutter speed. With me so far? .....

I know that. What was I thinking!

My cameras don't do 120 or 240 slow mo. I need to steal my DW's and try it out!
post #18 of 42 Old 05-27-2013, 08:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsprague View Post

Where are you camping? I'm camping in the heart of Washington State's Wine Country in Prosser.

Bill (the other one)

I was at a little regional park with the Scouts called Sugarloaf Open Area. We are blessed here in the East Bay (the side opposite San Francisco) with a regional park system that rivals some state parks, with full-time rangers, lakes and well-maintained campgrounds and trails.

I had the GH3 with me and recorded the skits to .mov at 1080/60p and 50mbps. Looked pretty good smile.gif

Best,

Bill
post #19 of 42 Old 05-27-2013, 08:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonhunter13 View Post

The FZ200 is a bit pricey for a starter, would it be much easier to buy this one then say the 20x zoom Panasonic ZS30 (TZ40), easier I mean in terms of getting to know the camera, my shooting style, also the FZ200 doesn't fit in my pocket, I like the spec of the ZS30, easy to carry, shove it in my pocket when I need to grab a leash. Can I with confidence say the ZS30 at under $400CND will shoot 120/240, teach me a lot about slowing down, be compatible with slow down software, can add music etc?

I agree. If you can find a ZS30 shipped to Canada for less than $400CDN with no import duties, you should jump on it. Make sure it has English language menus and outputs to NTSC (not PAL) TV.

The ZS30 will give you slow motion up to 240fps, has a 20x optical zoom and will fit in your pocket. Least expensive one I could find shipping from Canada was $460CDN on ebay.ca
Quote:

yay! I love camping, just did a 3 week camp trip a couple summers ago in the Canadian Rockies, Jasper and Banff, hiked mount Robson about 30 km round trip, biggest mountain in our Rockies, saw so many bears, but I am use to bears, been air vacced out once camping with three gals the bears were about to eat us for dinner but that's another story...I hear Washington is beautiful, I have camped in the US, the Adirondacks, I drove into Montana, Glacier National Park, and took highway 2 right into Ontario, went thru MInnesota camped at the headwaters of the MISSISSIPPI....I camp mostly in northern Ontario around here, the great lakes system, lots of rivers and lakes, lots of kayaking and star gazing, isn't life grand!!

We are indeed blessed! All the best with your continued adventures. Please post some slow motion dog video when you get your camera smile.gif

Best,

Bill B.
Hybrid Camera Revolution
post #20 of 42 Old 05-29-2013, 12:44 AM - Thread Starter

I will...and eBay I take it is a safe way to buy a camera....the actual link from Bruner...it brought me to an eBay page and the camera was $380 I am sure there are other fees like shipping and duty. No one answered wether or not I could find a camera like these mentioned above from a Future Shop or Best Buy. Also this is kind of in the left field but I saw an Ad today for the Canon Rebel and WOW what a nice looking camera, not idea on price or 120/240 capabilities...anyone know? If I were to go into a store, would I ask about cameras that shoot fast, I see you all say faster, even tho we mean slower...bigger number the faster, which means slower...grrr....what would I ask for?

In the first video it is being sold at a Panasonic store in south Hampton. I am only 3 hours north of Toronto, city of 4plus million surely I could find the 20x zoom Panasonic ZS30 (TZ40) somewhere?

Thanks, I will post a clip, I have never posted a video before, just pix, maybe that will be another thread...plus adding music, I am a huge music fan and want to merge the 2.

You are all a wealth of knowledge, should be proud of your hobby, not a lot of people have the patience for all this, thanks again!

If you are ever camping up this way, the great lake region, especially the gorgeous limestone Huron, I will hike your dog for free!! barter round here :P
post #21 of 42 Old 05-29-2013, 12:49 AM - Thread Starter

Oh also...when you shoot the video does it look slow on the screen...or regular speed...and can u slow down bits and pieces or once u hit slow you are slow the whole video?
post #22 of 42 Old 05-29-2013, 01:03 AM - Thread Starter

Its amazing..I read all the specs on eBay for the 20x zoom Panasonic ZS30 (TZ40) which I think I want (the white one wooohoo) and nowhere does it mention 120/240 I don't see those numbers anywhere, or talk about slow motion, they list everything but, weird? Is it called something else, why would they not advertise that, its the coolest feature!

Positives-it has wifi I can send with one click to clients...light sensitive sensor...for the grey days and it fits in my pocket, I think this is the 1!
post #23 of 42 Old 05-29-2013, 08:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 195 Post(s)
Liked: 141
There are so many features that are new (hybrid stabilization, wifi, level-shot, high-resolution stills while shooting video,etc.) but the slo-mo capability is discussed too:

http://panasonic.net/avc/lumix/compact/zs30_tz40/video.html

"The DMC-ZS30(TZ40) records high-speed videos at 120 fps (NTSC / HD)* / 100 fps (PAL / HD)* or 240 fps (NTSC / VGA)* / 200 fps (PAL / VGA)* in MP4 format. You can capture scenes that can't be seen with the naked eye, and play them back in dramatic slow motion."

How's that?

I own the ZS30, and it is great (but the black one).

btw, eBay may not be the ideal place for checking specs - the Panasonic web sites are pretty good.
Moonhunter13 likes this.
post #24 of 42 Old 05-29-2013, 02:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

...Positives-it has wifi I can send with one click to clients...light sensitive sensor...for the grey days and it fits in my pocket, I think this is the 1!

The Panasonic wi-fi feature is great - I use it all the time. The ability to send images to clients, friends and family from the field is an awesome time saver.

Best,

Bill
Hybrid Camera Revolution
post #25 of 42 Old 05-30-2013, 01:11 AM - Thread Starter

anyone know about buying this at a chain store like futureshop or best buy, or the Panasonic store in Toronto? I will check the website I would rather drive the 4 hours and pick it up then order it online.
post #26 of 42 Old 05-30-2013, 08:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

anyone know about buying this at a chain store like futureshop or best buy, or the Panasonic store in Toronto? I will check the website I would rather drive the 4 hours and pick it up then order it online.
Where ever you buy it, be sure they have a no-hassel 30 day return policy. That is fairly standard. In the US, Best Buy has a web ordering system that will deliver what you want to the Best Buy store of your choice. Best Buy was very good to me when I bought a Sony camera a couple years ago. I had trouble with the flash and they replaced it. Then I had trouble with the record button and they replaced it again. I bought an extended warranty with it and they repaired it when it had a lens problem.

Bill
post #27 of 42 Old 12-06-2013, 01:19 AM - Thread Starter

Hi OK so I still haven't bought 'the' camera. My father in law said he had an awesome camera to send me, and I have realized I don't need to buy a camera that takes slow motion videos, because there is editing software out there that will slow your videos down (any comments here would be appreciated like easy to use software)

So I got the box in the mail today, and the camera is a Nikon D50 DSLR at first it looked cool, and I love that he sent me anything I am not being a brat, BUT, it seems old-er, and it doesn't take videos at all, and it doesn't have Live Viewing so you have to look thru the little thingy, and it seems extremely confusing. Yes it takes great pix, I took some of my cat, they looked great and clear, and it does have this continuous mode that takes 127 pix at once, but no video no live viewfinder, my heart sank, I am sure for taking outdoor pix of the dogs it will be fine.

I thought maybe I should keep the D50 for pix, and buy a camcorder, I want to start a YouTube page where I take awesome videos of the pack and do slow motion, have music, regular speed, maybe some back and forth action. One of my dogs just had surgery for $2000 so I am hurting for cash with xmas around the corner.

I found a Canon EOS Rebel t3 with 18-55 lens (and capability to change lenses etc) it does take HD movies and it has a live viewfinder, it is only $299 at Walmart. Should I just buy that and slow down the videos on my own, or should I look for a camcorder that takes regular speed videos and slow motion videos, I already have something to take pix with the D50, I am more concerned with the movies, but I cant spend a lot of money. The Canon Rebel T3i IS 18-55mm is $599 and seems to be more advanced, but I really don't want to spend that much.

Any advice would be appreciated, thanks.

Mel
post #28 of 42 Old 12-06-2013, 07:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Hi Mel - the D50 was a great camera (I still have one on the shelf) and will do a good job for you as a still camera. Sorry it wasn't able to do what you wanted it to do frown.gif

For video, yes, you can create a slow motion effect with software plug ins such as Twixtor (which will cost you an additional $150+ depending on your editing program), but you are likely to get skipped frames, as in this example shot with the GoPro Hero and slowed down with Twixtor (pay attention to the ball and the dogs' tails and paws - please watch at 720p):

Contrast that with the smooth slow motion from the Panasonic TZ40 shot at 100fps (this is the European version of the ZS30 - again, please watch at 720p):

For what you're trying to do, I recommend an inexpensive camera that can record smooth 720/120fps slow motion such as the Panasonic ZS30, which you can get for $358 from Amazon Canada, rather than software that slows down your video by "interpolating" intermediate frames.

Good luck and best of the holidays,

Bill
Hybrid Camera Revolution
post #29 of 42 Old 12-07-2013, 03:46 PM - Thread Starter

Hi Bill thanks for the response, I really appreciate your wealth of knowledge as I am fairly new to the game. So I watched both videos, and I totally see what u mean, the ball is skipping for sure, and it is distracting. I would rather shoot the video with the actual camera then use the software, the less time away from the lappy the better!

On to cameras. Someone in previous posts mentioned the Panasonic FZ200 and you have mentioned the Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS30S WiFi 20x Digital Camera (oh I just scrolled up it was you both times ya!) ok so I am a review girl and they both have pretty great reviews, the FZ200 a little bit more then the DMZ. WIth the ZS30 I think the videos can only be recorded in 30, 60, 240 f.p.s but with the FZ200 it has 100 and 200, a few more options maybe? The one complaint I read a few times about the ZS30 is (and I will quote)

"In the ZS30 I found the combination of increased resolution and increased zoom has outpaced the technology for image stabilization – which means hand held shots will produce lots of blurry pictures. For me, that would severely limit my ability to shoot from horseback" (she also said " My recommendation is to stick to no more than 12 megapixels" because when we print the photos and blow them up for our clients, they tend to be blurry)

So although I will be using it mainly for videos, I would like a great action shot camera, imagine the videos above u showed me, with 12-15 dogs acting nuts in the deep Canadian wilderness. I send pack pix to my clients about 2x a month so the pix are important to, and the D50 is huge, I took it out yesterday and took about 150 pix and my hand is sore.

OK so back to the camera, the ZS30 video takes 30, 60, and 240 fps? In the two videos you sent me the second was taken at 100 f.p.s was this the same camera as the ZS30? What f.p.s was the first video taken, that's the speed I want, I am trying to learn about speeds so if you could tell me the first video speed that would help a lot.

Also another complaint with the ZS30 is people are saying when they zoom while taking a video it blurs, they returned got another camera, did it again. Also for outdoor pix the LCD is hard to see.

Many people said its a great little camera, excellent for pictures, zoom etc.

My question is I want videos like the first video speed with the smoothness of the second video, we have lots of sticks and balls thrown so the skipped frames would be brutal. I can get a FZ200 used on Ebay for $350. So once I find out the first videos speed which I really liked, it seemed a bit slower then then the second video more detail in the dogs lips flapping, maybe you can let me know if it is dangerous to buy second hand on EBay I never have,m or if the ZS30 would do the trick and I can get it new for the same price. WHat are the video differences between the two cameras, when I look up the specs I never see F.P.S I see resolution and .p but it never outright says this camera shoots video at 100 f.p.s or 200 f.p.s what do I look for in the specs?

Ok thanks so much, hope you are having a good weekend. By the way with the D50, off topic, the attachable lens, it seems like a zoom, is this the zoom, do I turn it from 18-55 and zoom in and out, sometimes it wont take the picture, like it knows it will be a bad one, the D50 seems like it has a lot of function I just did Auto and Auto, but I used the lens thingy to zoom, was this right?

Mel
post #30 of 42 Old 12-07-2013, 04:03 PM - Thread Starter

oh also...I looked again at the video of the ZS30, you had posted one above months ago, where the guy is in the store and goes out and takes videos of the buses. So the 100 is HD super clear and the 200 was SD blurry people (Can you tell me which video is slower-I know its called high speed, but the 200 seemed slightly slower then the 100- I want the speed of the jumping dog with the ball video, but the clarity of the 100 HD) maybe this is impossible I don't know, just let me know which camera has this capability. If it is the FZ200 I may have to buy it used. frown.gif

Mel
Reply Camcorders

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page