Panasonic x800 or v720 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 05-26-2013, 12:34 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi guys I am having a dilemma deciding which of these two camcorders to go for. the Panasonic hc-x800 or the Panasonic hc-v720. I am upgrading from the Canon HF100 which has done me well for a few years but it's time to change. What I want to know is if there is a major difference between the quality of the footage of these models or is it not that noticable? The dilemma gets worse as I have the Sony Xperia Z with NFC on it also and I would like the long zoom of the 720 but if there is a big diffrence in quality then I am willing to sacrifice the zoom. there is another problem also, the aftermarket batteries for the x800 are widely available but not for the 720. HELLLP
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 05-27-2013, 02:31 AM - Thread Starter

ANYONE ?????
post #3 of 7 Old 05-27-2013, 07:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 90
My guess is that you've not hand any response because your question is too complicated. I looked at it when you put it up, started to type an answer and then gave up in frustration.

To answer it, I have to study specs here: 720 and here: 800

Then I have to figure out what a "Sony Xperia Z" is and what "NFC" is.

I also would have to find the specs for a Canon HF100 and try to figure out what might be lacking that would cause a need for change. My understanding is that it is a capable camcorder.

Next I would have to ask why you need aftermarket batteries.

Most important, I would have to ask what you intend to shoot and ask for some samples of your best work. With that, there might be a significant capability in the cameras that would matter.

If I were to work up a long answer discussing the differences between the three camcorders involved, I would typcally add a summary at the end that would say the primary video quality differences I see relate far more to the shooters skills with lighting, composition and story telling. The camera itself is the smallest part.

Good luck with this!

Bill
post #4 of 7 Old 05-27-2013, 09:00 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsprague View Post

My guess is that you've not hand any response because your question is too complicated. I looked at it when you put it up, started to type an answer and then gave up in frustration.

To answer it, I have to study specs here: 720 and here: 800

Then I have to figure out what a "Sony Xperia Z" is and what "NFC" is.

I also would have to find the specs for a Canon HF100 and try to figure out what might be lacking that would cause a need for change. My understanding is that it is a capable camcorder.

Next I would have to ask why you need aftermarket batteries.

Most important, I would have to ask what you intend to shoot and ask for some samples of your best work. With that, there might be a significant capability in the cameras that would matter.

If I were to work up a long answer discussing the differences between the three camcorders involved, I would typcally add a summary at the end that would say the primary video quality differences I see relate far more to the shooters skills with lighting, composition and story telling. The camera itself is the smallest part.

Good luck with this!

Bill
First of all thank you for your reply it is very kind of you smile.gif
The reason I asked my question here is because I thought it was a very knowledgeable forum so I didn't think my question would be too complex fro anyone who is an avid camcorder user and expert such are a lot of people on here.
the reason I want to upgrade is the Canon HF100 only records 1080 i and has a problem with memory cards any bigger than 16gb even with the class 10 update that Canon released.
i know the specs of both camcorders and have looked at video's on youtube, vimeo etc but as you know that doesn't always show a true picture of the rfootage as it gets compressed.
The Sony Xperia Z is a smartphone and NFC is near field communication a technology that when 2 compatible NFC devices are placed close to each other they connect the wifi without all the fuss of passwords etc.
the V720 is a new camcorder at the moment and uses new batteries as the v700 wont fit so the only option is to pay Panasonic crazy prices until the after market ones are available.
I am a beginner in terms of video making so I don't have great footage to show as most of the footage I took was at 24p in questionable lighting venues.
All I really wanted to know is if there is a big difference between the 2 camcorders in the footage quality so I would then have some idea which is the one to go for as the quality of the footage is paramount as I will be having my first grandchild in a month or so....
post #5 of 7 Old 05-27-2013, 09:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 106
Quote:
Originally Posted by JULES CHILLI View Post

First of all thank you for your reply it is very kind of you smile.gif
The reason I asked my question here is because I thought it was a very knowledgeable forum so I didn't think my question would be too complex fro anyone who is an avid camcorder user and expert such are a lot of people on here.
the reason I want to upgrade is the Canon HF100 only records 1080 i and has a problem with memory cards any bigger than 16gb even with the class 10 update that Canon released.
i know the specs of both camcorders and have looked at video's on youtube, vimeo etc but as you know that doesn't always show a true picture of the rfootage as it gets compressed.
The Sony Xperia Z is a smartphone and NFC is near field communication a technology that when 2 compatible NFC devices are placed close to each other they connect the wifi without all the fuss of passwords etc.
the V720 is a new camcorder at the moment and uses new batteries as the v700 wont fit so the only option is to pay Panasonic crazy prices until the after market ones are available.
I am a beginner in terms of video making so I don't have great footage to show as most of the footage I took was at 24p in questionable lighting venues.
All I really wanted to know is if there is a big difference between the 2 camcorders in the footage quality so I would then have some idea which is the one to go for as the quality of the footage is paramount as I will be having my first grandchild in a month or so....

This is a knowledgeable forum. The problem is not that your question is "too complex", it is too vague. What do you mean by footage "quality"? Low-light performance (noise, lux value, smearing, color)? sharpness? dynamic range? color accuracy? What will you be shooting - indoors at close quarters? birds 50 yards away? sports? What will you be editing with? What is the relevance of your owning the Sony Xperia Z to shooting video with a camcorder? The 720 has NFC - is wireless remote control important to you? why? The X800 does not have wifi. What will you be viewing your videos on?

Finally, the odds of someone posting here owning both the X800 and the 720 is essentially zero. Thus it is impossible for the knowledgeable people here to really compare the video output from the cameras. We can tell you which specs matter for which type of shooting, but then you have provided us little about what you need.

But, here is an answer: The X800 uses 3 sensors, the 720 only one. Given past performance by Panasonic, the X800 should provide better quality video. Panasonic uses 3 sensors in their pro camcorders and their top-of-the line consumer camcorders. The X800 likely has a higher-quality lens as well (for one thing, it is f1.5 wide open as opposed to f1.8 on the 720 so better in low light by a bit just from that). The only advantage of the 720, apart from wifi, is that it uses the newer stabilization system, which may be marginally better. But then at the high zoom values it would need to be.
post #6 of 7 Old 05-27-2013, 09:42 AM - Thread Starter

Thank you for your reply, is there much of a difference in overall video quality between the 2 ?
post #7 of 7 Old 05-27-2013, 11:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 106
Quote:
Originally Posted by JULES CHILLI View Post

Thank you for your reply, is there much of a difference in overall video quality between the 2 ?

As I mentioned, "overall video quality" has many dimensions, so your question is too vague to answer (leaving aside that "much" is a vague term), and neither I nor anyone who posts here, or anywhere else for that matter, owns both camcorders so that it is impossible to compare their actual performance.

Finally, the question is whether you can tell the difference. That will depend on your eyesight, your experience with video (what to look for) and how you view videos (on 80" plasma HDTVs, on your cellphone, on a 23" monitor 12" away, or what).

In short, the X800 video quality is likely better in any dimension. Only you can answer whether it is sufficiently better so that you care.
Reply Camcorders

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page