Waterproof Camera/Camcorder Video Face-off: Sony GW77V versus Panasonic TS5 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 19 Old 05-27-2013, 04:29 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 108
The Sony is a camcorder that takes stills. The Panasonic is a still camera that takes video. They are both waterproof and shockproof and dustproof (the Panasonic more so). And they both shoot 108060p video.

Key differences:

1. The Sony has a touch screen that is 920k. The Panasonic has 460k screen. But the Sony screen is very hard to see in bright light compared to the Panasonic. In some sunny scenes I could not see what I was shooting on the LCD of the Sony.

2. The Sony has a much smaller sensor (1/4.1" versus 1/2.3"). This shows up as shallower dof for the Panasonic in some cases (you can see this in the shot of a flower bud through fence posts - the Sony has the fence in focus and the distant bud; the Panasonic has only the distant bud (the chosen focus point) in focus.

3.The Sony has a 10X zoom lens that is f1.5 at wide end. The Panasonic has a 4.6X zoom, f3.3 at the wide end. But, in low light it appears the larger sensor makes up for the smaller lens - see the last frame taken in low light (at the widest angle) where the performance is about the same.

Both have GPS, but the Panasonic has Wifi for remote viewing and control. The Sony is bright blue; the Panasonic is bright orange, but you can choose alternative colors for each.

This video alternates the two cameras for the same scene; the first version is always the Sony and the second the Panasonic. Sorry, no underwater shots.

Downloadable Vimeo:

https://vimeo.com/67086872

Youtube version:

Select 1080p.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 Old 05-27-2013, 06:35 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 19
does your ts5 not have a loud auto-focus even when not zooming? i had to return mine from this defect
post #3 of 19 Old 05-28-2013, 05:40 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishywishy View Post

does your ts5 not have a loud auto-focus even when not zooming? i had to return mine from this defect

The test has audio straight from the camera, so you can listen.

Btw, you can turn off autofocus for video: the shot will keep the focus at the time the video begins. This is usually good practice anyway for any camera to prevent focus hunting.

I can hear (softly) the electronics in the FZ200, the TS5, and the GW77V in quiet settings.
post #4 of 19 Old 05-28-2013, 07:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 92
Thank you for doing this comparison. You're not helping me get rid of the itch for a rugged and waterproof camera.
post #5 of 19 Old 05-28-2013, 08:37 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsprague View Post

Thank you for doing this comparison. You're not helping me get rid of the itch for a rugged and waterproof camera.

Just think: you could follow that otter as he/she dives in the water! (great video clip, btw).

The TS5 is much cheaper than the GW77V, or its successor. And the stills are much better (and good). The video quality might even be better than that of the GW77. You give up the longer zoom, but the TS5 remote wifi could be useful, as you can set up the camera outdoors and see what it sees and when there is something interesting, you can zoom and shoot (still or video). Panasonic warns, for this use, that the camera is not theft-proof.
post #6 of 19 Old 05-28-2013, 09:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by markr041 View Post

Just think: you could follow that otter as he/she dives in the water! (great video clip, btw).

The TS5 is much cheaper than the GW77V, or its successor. And the stills are much better (and good). The video quality might even be better than that of the GW77. You give up the longer zoom, but the TS5 remote wifi could be useful, as you can set up the camera outdoors and see what it sees and when there is something interesting, you can zoom and shoot (still or video). Panasonic warns, for this use, that the camera is not theft-proof.

Thanks for the clip compliment. It was shot with my Panasonic SDT750 in 100% automatic, probably 1080i. Wildlife video is one of the times I think automatic is a wonderful thing. If you get a chance at a clip, it will be a short chance and fiddling with settings can quickly kill the opportunity.

That otter lives in Puget Sound where the water is 55 degrees, with little variance, year around. I am not going to follow any otters.

The new camera itch is not going to go away soon! Between my DW and I, we have 5 incredible pieces of 1080p60 capable equipment. Something will have to break, get dropped or be stolen before I should buy anything new.

A life long problem of mine is letting my fascination with equipment get in the way with using it. I have to keep focused on shooting with what I have and producing "art" that is interesting to watch. And, more important than that is helping my granddaughters do the same. As they become teenagers, I may have decreasing opportunities.

My 11 year old granddaughter has fallen in love. His name is "Lucky". The good news is that it is her dog. The current primary project is to make the best enlargement we can, frame it and hang it above her bed.

Buying any new camera will only get in the way. If I really did need to add a camera to my collection today, it would be a TS5.

Bill
post #7 of 19 Old 06-04-2013, 12:13 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Thanks Mark. I like the Panasonic better - but...how is the battery life compared to each other?
post #8 of 19 Old 06-04-2013, 12:17 PM

Looks like multiple people on Amazon are stating the video "clicks". Wonder what that is all about?
post #9 of 19 Old 06-04-2013, 01:04 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shield View Post

Looks like multiple people on Amazon are stating the video "clicks". Wonder what that is all about?

There is more noise picked up from the camera from the TS5, as the audio level is higher. You can hear in the comparison video that the audio is louder from the TS5 for all ambient sounds.

You need two batteries for a day's shooting; I think the battery life on the Panasonic is slightly better.
post #10 of 19 Old 06-05-2013, 05:52 PM

Sorry to bug you again Mark, but here's the last two questions for now: Is the noise complaint focusing or zooming noise they're complaining about? Also, will it record longer than 29 minutes straight?

Took the Sony RX-100 out tonight to record my son's baseball game - had to remind my wife a few times about the 29 minute auto-shutoff. I am really annoyed with that camera as after about 10 minutes the overheat light came on. It never stopped recording, but it's like car insurance - well the opposite - there's no "peace of mind" with that overheat warning indicator on.

I'm going to dump it and the tiny waterproof 60i Sony I have and just get the Panasonic you recommended.

Shawn
post #11 of 19 Old 06-06-2013, 09:32 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Sorry to bug you again Mark, but here's the last two questions for now: Is the noise complaint focusing or zooming noise they're complaining about? Also, will it record longer than 29 minutes straight?

Took the Sony RX-100 out tonight to record my son's baseball game - had to remind my wife a few times about the 29 minute auto-shutoff. I am really annoyed with that camera as after about 10 minutes the overheat light came on. It never stopped recording, but it's like car insurance - well the opposite - there's no "peace of mind" with that overheat warning indicator on.

I'm going to dump it and the tiny waterproof 60i Sony I have and just get the Panasonic you recommended.

Shawn
I think it is focus noise. You can turn off autofocus: the camera will then focus on what you wanted it to focus on just before pressing the record button and will hold focus there. I use that now with almost all my cameras as, for example, shooting in crowded areas so that when something moves briefly in front of the subject I am focusing on, focus does not shift, as with auto focus, and then refocus. There is a 30-minute limit on any AVCHD clip, unfortunately. This seems to be due to categorizing video cameras as cameras as opposed to camcorders.
post #12 of 19 Old 06-06-2013, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by markr041 View Post

There is a 30-minute limit on any AVCHD clip, unfortunately. This seems to be due to categorizing video cameras as cameras as opposed to camcorders.

Have you tested this for sure? I only ask because Panasonic is weird - the GH2 and GH3 (USA NTSC models) can record longer than 30 minutes straight out of the box. Do you have the USA version? Have you actually ever let it run until it kicked itself off?

I'm trying to get multiple long runs of things, like my son's baseball games. I have a small tripod-mount adapter with a velcro strap on it; I just mount it to the cage behind the batters. In other words, a camcorder shape wouldn't work out as well, and I can't ask my wife to sit there and shoot with a camcorder the entire game.
It almost appears af it will record longer than 30 minutes if I read this correctly:

http://panasonic.net/avc/lumix/compact/ts5_ft5/video.html
post #13 of 19 Old 06-06-2013, 02:23 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

From the TS5 manual:

• Maximum time to record motion pictures continuously with [FHD/60p/ ]/[FHD/60p]/[FHD/
60i/ ]/[FHD/60i] in [AVCHD] is 29 minutes 59 seconds.

• Maximum time to record motion pictures continuously with [MP4] is 29 minutes 59 seconds
or up to 4 GB. (For [FHD/30p] in [MP4] format, the file size is large and so the recordable
time will drop below 29 minutes 59 seconds.)

There is no ambiguity. When you start a video, the timer starts at 29m50s even on a blank card.
post #14 of 19 Old 06-06-2013, 04:23 PM

I think we're having this same conversation in two places.
post #15 of 19 Old 06-07-2013, 08:39 AM
AVS Special Member

I read somewhere it is a price and import tax thing. If the manufacturer wants it to record longer than 30 minutes the tax must be paid and the price must be higher. GH3s cost more than TS5s.
post #16 of 19 Old 06-16-2013, 10:49 PM

So Lx7 (non-waterproof) vs TX5 - who wins?
post #17 of 19 Old 06-16-2013, 11:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Neither. It is the RX100.

Seriously, I think it is clear that between the LX7 and TX5 is about the rugged and waterproof. If you fish, ski, sail or whatever in bad weather the LX7 would stay home. If you are indoors or a fair weather shooter, the LX7 should give you more opportunity for better video..
post #18 of 19 Old 06-17-2013, 03:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsprague View Post

Neither. It is the RX100.

Seriously, I think it is clear that between the LX7 and TX5 is about the rugged and waterproof. If you fish, ski, sail or whatever in bad weather the LX7 would stay home. If you are indoors or a fair weather shooter, the LX7 should give you more opportunity for better video..

You think? I just sold my RX-100 as I wasn't impressed with the video. Keep getting overheating warning lights when shooting 10+ minutes of my son's baseball games on an 80 degree day.
post #19 of 19 Old 06-17-2013, 10:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

You think? ......
I should have put the smiley face in. I was attempting humor. The RX100 is not a video camera. I use my RX100 for a lot of 5 to 30 second travel clips along with still photos. For that, I like it.
Reply Camcorders

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page