Stabilizer Software - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 13 Old 06-05-2013, 03:02 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked: 94
I went to a junior high spring band concert last night. Nobody ever watches videos of those events, so I was not planning to shoot. Out of habit, I took a small, unobtrusive HX9V and no tripod or stick. My family group is always last to arrive at those things, so we were in the very back of the room. Everything is wrong in school auditoriums, but the video has to be shot!

I was well past optical zoom for most of it, and it is very shaky. I was going to put it on the HDD and leave it.

My son emailed and said his smart phone video was awful and unusable. He asked if I would share what I got. Good thing I'm retired because I worked on it all day!

I got it edited down to about 7 minutes and it stars my charming, beautiful, smart and musical granddaughter that says she loves me.

I put it on YouTube and decided to see if their stabilizer processing would do anything. YouTube crunched on it for about 2 hours! The results blew me away. My shaky point and shoot video is almost rock solid. Then, I ran into an option to download the file as an MP4. I had no idea you could upload for processing and download finished results.

Now I have an archival and shareable video for any family members that may want it. And, it is stable enough to watch without getting seasick.

Take some shaky, long zoom video as a test and try it. See if you're as impressed as I am with the YT processing.

Bill
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 06-05-2013, 04:15 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by bsprague View Post

I went to a junior high spring band concert last night. Nobody ever watches videos of those events, so I was not planning to shoot. Out of habit, I took a small, unobtrusive HX9V and no tripod or stick. My family group is always last to arrive at those things, so we were in the very back of the room. Everything is wrong in school auditoriums, but the video has to be shot!

balance optical stabilizer in sony camcorder now... soon in sony camera

Sony devloping the 5 Axis SSS with Olympus!

Great news folks! As you know the next bunch of A-mount cameras is expected to be launched in early 2014. And of the brand new key features will be the 5-Axis SSS developed in partnership with Olympus! As you know the Olympus E-M5 and the brand new E-P5 have that kind of tech. Sony and Olympus engineers are now developing it further to make it work on Sony’s next Full Frame cameras!

You can see the advantage of the 5 axis IS over the regular 2 axis stabilization on that video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SimZkKidsHE&feature=player_embedded

http://www.sonyalpharumors.com/sr4-sony-devloping-the-5-axis-ssm-with-olympus/
post #3 of 13 Old 06-06-2013, 07:23 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by spyker1212 View Post

balance optical stabilizer in sony camcorder now... soon in sony camera
If I were buying a camcorder now, I would put the Sony's that have the Balanced Optical Stabilizer on the short list.

Adobe Premier Pro CS6 offers "Warp Stabilizer" for post process improvements to shaky footage. It gets good reviews and is almost as expensive as buying a Sony with Balanced Optical Stabilizer.

My point in this thread, is you can do a credible job on YouTube for free.

Bill
post #4 of 13 Old 06-06-2013, 12:55 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:

I put it on YouTube and decided to see if their stabilizer processing would do anything. YouTube crunched on it for about 2 hours! The results blew me away.
The Youtube stabilizing software is remarkably good, much better than anything that I've been able to find in Sony Vegas. (To see its effects, try uploading a shaky video with overlayed titles!)

Keep in mind that you lose in image quality and this is probably not apparent when watching a video on a computer screen.

I really like the Hague stabilizer and I'm currently experimenting with it holding a PJ790V. I'm impressed so far.
post #5 of 13 Old 06-07-2013, 10:02 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 17
I have shot tons of video handheld that now looks like a tripod shoot after stabilization.

Prodad 'Mercalli' http://www.prodad.com/home/products/video_optimization/300391667,l-us.html works OK, is fast to process, but looses a lot of detail, and can behave a little oddly on some severe shakes and jolts. Mercalli is also available in stand-alone, so another editor is not required.

I have had the most success with WARP STABILIZER effect that is built into Adode AFTER EFFECTS http://helpx.adobe.com/premiere-pro/using/stabilize-motion-warp-stabilizer-effect.html

I only use WARP STABILIZER now. WS looks much nicer, clearer and can deal with tricky shakes better than Mercalli, but WS is much slower to process.

I stabilize nearly every thing now, even tripod shots - can look perfect, just like broadcast.

Mercalli is the cheapest way to go.
post #6 of 13 Old 06-10-2013, 02:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 16
I've been hearing that Deshaker is even better than Warp Stabilizer and free, apparently. I haven't used it myself, but I've seen it compared against Warp Stabilizer and the Deshaker video was clearly better.
post #7 of 13 Old 06-10-2013, 03:18 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTyson View Post

I've been hearing that Deshaker is even better than Warp Stabilizer and free, apparently. I haven't used it myself, but I've seen it compared against Warp Stabilizer and the Deshaker video was clearly better.

Do you have any links to a "Deshaker" review ?

I have done tons of stabilization with bothe Mercalli & Warpstabilizer and have found WS to be the best by a big margin. I would like to see some real world comparos that show Deshaker as being any good.

Do keep in mind that stabilization is only one stage of the process.

You will likely need to;

denoise first (I use NEATVIDEO plugin), save as an uncompressed file (AE saves in a 32bit uncompressed AVI by default - beware - very big files !)
stabilize and save as an uncompressed file
other color correction and editing functions can now be done in one final step.

Do not save as H264 @ intermediate steps as you video will fall apart - H264 is fragile and cannot take much abuse, and can quickly turn in to a banded mess is not careful.

Q: does the DESHAKER process allow for the saving in a uncompressed format that ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS can use for further processing ?
post #8 of 13 Old 06-20-2013, 05:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pepster returns View Post

Do you have any links to a "Deshaker" review ?

I have done tons of stabilization with bothe Mercalli & Warpstabilizer and have found WS to be the best by a big margin. I would like to see some real world comparos that show Deshaker as being any good.

Do keep in mind that stabilization is only one stage of the process.

You will likely need to;

denoise first (I use NEATVIDEO plugin), save as an uncompressed file (AE saves in a 32bit uncompressed AVI by default - beware - very big files !)
stabilize and save as an uncompressed file
other color correction and editing functions can now be done in one final step.

Do not save as H264 @ intermediate steps as you video will fall apart - H264 is fragile and cannot take much abuse, and can quickly turn in to a banded mess is not careful.

Q: does the DESHAKER process allow for the saving in a uncompressed format that ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS can use for further processing ?
Here's a clip. I saw another one pitting it against Warp Stabilizer in which is looked much better, but then again it could depend on the settings used. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BisPX23mLmM

I can't really answer questions about it. As I have yet to use it for myself. I've only used Warp Stabilizer thus far. DeShaker sounds more difficult, but I've seen some good results when it's used right.
post #9 of 13 Old 06-20-2013, 05:41 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTyson View Post

Here's a clip. I saw another one pitting it against Warp Stabilizer in which is looked much better, but then again it could depend on the settings used. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BisPX23mLmM

I can't really answer questions about it. As I have yet to use it for myself. I've only used Warp Stabilizer thus far. DeShaker sounds more difficult, but I've seen some good results when it's used right.

If you watch the mountain horizon, Mercalli appears to be the winner in that clip.
post #10 of 13 Old 06-25-2013, 08:54 PM
Advanced Member

Unfortunately I do not have a sample Mercalli clip any more - I redid all my clips in Warp Stabilizer.

Mercalli is OK, but can turn into a mess with certain sharp movements, and Merc is very soft compared to WS.

all the videos on this trip were stabilized with WARP, generally @ a very mild, eg 5 to 10% crop - I just want to smooth my hand held shots. http://arcoonastudios.zenfolio.com/p59559609 and most vids were shot on the tiny Canon EOSM (except the obvious tripod shots

I always use the 'detailed analysis' in WS, but it is very slow.
post #11 of 13 Old 06-27-2013, 02:16 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:

If you watch the mountain horizon, Mercalli appears to be the winner in that clip.
Those Youtube images are at 360p. It is impossible to judge.

---

The interesting question is whether it is cheaper/better to do stabilizing when capturing the image, or in post-production in the software. (The question is naive because even at capture, there is software involved.)
post #12 of 13 Old 06-28-2013, 05:03 PM

Liked: 20
I haven't tried this YT feature. But curious about it.

Bill - did it "zoom" into your video and trim off the outsides of the clip to get the less shake look?
(I am under the impression that this is what most stabilizing software does.)

I had a look at the comparison clip that MyTyson linked to above and pausing in several spots I can see the outsides being trimmed a bit.
But the effect is definitely smoother and if I had shaky footage I would not hesitate to use such software.
post #13 of 13 Old 06-28-2013, 08:13 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobAC View Post

..........Bill - did it "zoom" into your video and trim off the outsides of the clip to get the less shake look?
(I am under the impression that this is what most stabilizing software does.)
Yes.
Reply Camcorders

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page