Video (& photography) kit list - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 06-08-2013, 03:58 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi.
I was given a task to come up with a shopping list for an NGO. They work with indigenous people around the world filming interviews and b-roll and they also do some filming in a summer academy.
The budget is a total of £3,000, which is around $4,700 (3/4 for Video and 1/4 for Photographic gear). I might push it more later in the future.

I kindly request help with forming up this list, particularly with the camera choices.

One thing I consider is to suggest getting a photographic camera that can shoot video, which makes it a bit more practical (though, I realize it poses some difficulties in shooting videos other than interviews).

I am suggesting a monopod (possibly Manfrotto 561 BHDV-1 if our budget will allow, or the new Benro S4.

As I said, the camera choice is the priority. Is it better to go with a camcorder and entry level photo camera? Or a better photo camera that can shoot video? Which model, with what lens?

If you got extra time, I would appreciate help with supplementary gear too. A list that I was suggested some time ago has all that I can think of:

- Lapel wireless microphone (and an independent recorder like Tascam or Zoom?)
- headphones,
- fluid head tripod,
- small lighting kit (3 pup lights),
- At leats 3 SD digital memory cards,
- Spare battery
- 5 way reflector,
- Black and white sheet of silk (drape over things for dampening background),
+ We have already purchased a Rode Video Mic Pro and it deadcat.

What brands/models do you suggest?

Many thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 06-09-2013, 04:34 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Hi incagraphy - if you go down the hybrid still/video path, your best option is the £1684 Panasonic GH3 with a 12-35mm constant f2.8 lens.

Here are a couple of examples of what this camera can do in an interview/documentary environment:

For support, I recommend an inexpensive, high quality fluid head tripod such as the £130 Photx Pro Heavy Duty Professional. This is the tripod I use and it is a very good value for the money, with a 75mm bowl, "crutch" style aluminium legs and dual handles. Built like a tank, but relatively light weight.

For high quality sound, I recommend a £231 JuicedLink Riggy Micro RM222 for 2 phantom powered XLR inputs. Here is why:

With the JuicedLink, you will not need an external recorder.

For your wireless mic, yes, the £463 Sennheiser G3 is the best option for your budget. Here is why:

I would sell the unbalanced Rode VideoMic Pro and replace it with a £164 Audio Technica AT 875R shotgun mic with a balanced XLR output. For capturing ambient sound, I would use a £25 Campro shock mount to mount it on the camera, and a £127 set of Audio Technica ATH-50 headphones to monitor sound.

Here is what the GH3 and 14-140 lens looks like on the tripod kitted out for video with ATH-50 headphones, a used AT835b mic mounted on the Campro and connected to the GH3 with a £19.95 Hosa XLR to 3.5mm impedance matching cable:

With your budget, for lighting and backdrops, I recommend an all-in-one softbox/backdrop kit such as this two light kit for £130.

To get similar quality from a separate camcorder and still camera, you would spend about the same or a little more.

Instead of the splash and dust proofed, metal-bodied £1684 GH3 and constant f2.8 lens plus the £231 JuicedLink for XLR inputs, you would need something similar to a £1650 Panasonic AG-AC90 plus a quality still camera (e.g., the £585 Nikon D5200 with a slow 18-55 kit lens). Neither of these cameras are weather sealed.

Hope this is helpful and good luck with your project!

Bill
Hybrid Camera Revolution
post #3 of 4 Old 06-15-2013, 10:11 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by incagraphy View Post

Hi.
I was given a task to come up with a shopping list for an NGO. They work with indigenous people around the world filming interviews and b-roll and they also do some filming in a summer academy.
The budget is a total of £3,000, which is around $4,700 (3/4 for Video and 1/4 for Photographic gear). I might push it more later in the future.

I kindly request help with forming up this list, particularly with the camera choices.

One thing I consider is to suggest getting a photographic camera that can shoot video, which makes it a bit more practical (though, I realize it poses some difficulties in shooting videos other than interviews).

I am suggesting a monopod (possibly Manfrotto 561 BHDV-1 if our budget will allow, or the new Benro S4.

As I said, the camera choice is the priority. Is it better to go with a camcorder and entry level photo camera? Or a better photo camera that can shoot video? Which model, with what lens?

If you got extra time, I would appreciate help with supplementary gear too. A list that I was suggested some time ago has all that I can think of:

- Lapel wireless microphone (and an independent recorder like Tascam or Zoom?)
- headphones,
- fluid head tripod,
- small lighting kit (3 pup lights),
- At leats 3 SD digital memory cards,
- Spare battery
- 5 way reflector,
- Black and white sheet of silk (drape over things for dampening background),
+ We have already purchased a Rode Video Mic Pro and it deadcat.

What brands/models do you suggest?

Many thanks in advance.
1 - camera - go with 2x DSLRs. Eg buy a Canon 700D and a EOSM. Both these cameras are great video cameras and great stills camera, and with the optional adapter for the EOSM, both cameras will take the same lenses, work nearly the same, and are ideal backup for each other. Cameras do fail (trust me, I know this the hard way). You will need a back up. I uses a EOSM for most of the video on this NZ trip. A 600D did the rest of the tripos shots. http://arcoonastudios.zenfolio.com/f202324166 $2000 should get you 2 camera bodies, a couple of lenses and a couple of spare batteries.

2 - you can use a Zoom H1 ($100) and deadcat ($30) as a hand held mike without a lapel. i have a H1

3 - best headphones for detecting wind rumble are the Panasonic RP-HC55-S Noise-Cancelling Earbud Headphones $65 http://www.amazon.com/Panasonic-RP-HC55-S-Noise-Cancelling-Earbud-Headphones/dp/B0014II9F0 . I have had 4 of these.

4 - The cheapest best value serious video tripod is the SACHTLER ACE $550 http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/search?Ntt=sachtler+ace&N=0&InitialSearch=yes&sts=ma&Top+Nav-Search=

The smoothness of your tripod head, and the rigidity of the legs are #1 difference to make you video look pro. do not skimp here. The truth is, people are used to seeing video on their TV, shot on $4K to $40K tripods !

5 - Led lighting - search eBay. 700D and EOSM work great in low light, even candle and campfire light - I NEVER use my led vid light !

6 - buy the fastest SD cards you can afford. I use and recommend the SanDisk Extreme Pro Class 1 SD cards http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/824140-REG/SanDisk_SDSDXPA_032G_A75_Extreme_Pro_32_GB.html

7 - beauty reflectors are dirt cheap http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/buy/Collapsible-Reflectors/ci/1327/N/4062040412 use white or silver, not coloured

8 - Rode mike, sorry to hear that. We all make mistakes.

The cheapest path to pro sound is the SONY D50 recorder http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/524130-REG/Sony_PCM_D50_PCM_D50_Professional_Portable.html $500. The D50 is a true pro recorder and will kick to rode all round the paddock in audio quality. The D50 (I have one) also kills the H1 in sound quality. The D50 is built like a tank and will likely survive the rigors of travel, where as the H1 and Rode probably not. I use the D50 every day as my media player - it has a kick asre headphone amp. Use the line out from the D50 into your camera to also record audio for extra insurance

But, the key to recording good audio is a) proximity - eg mike close, and b) record in STEREO. Good 90deg xy cardiod stereo (per the D50) allows for adjusting the mono (eg voice) in relation to the other stereo ambient or reflected voice sounds. Bottom line is, if yo record only mono, then you cannot adjust the mono voice in relation to the other sounds. 90deg xy cardiod stereo can also be manipulated in post to simulate a shot gun mic. all this can be adjusted in Adobe Audition (formerly Cool Edit Pro).
post #4 of 4 Old 07-12-2013, 09:12 AM - Thread Starter

Liked: 10
hi again. I just wanted to give you all an update on where we are with the NGO:

We decided to wait for the new Canon 70D and get it. Perhaps we will also get a spare, used Canon 60D as a back up.
Will probably get a 35 / 50 mm prime, and use kit lens 18-135 STM, and possibly later a larger zoom lens.

For the dual audio, I am considering to get a Zoom H2N and a lav mic.
I have looked through Zoom H4N, Zoom 1, Tascam Dr-07 MKii, DR-100 MKii, and Tascam DR40. H2N looked like to be somewhat in the middle in terms of price and quality/ bells&whistles.
I am not sure whether it is worth to go with H4N, which could be a nice choice, because it looks bulky and expensive, though with XLR inputs. I don't know enough to say XLR will make such a big difference or whether it would matter for our YouTube/Vimeo videos.

I am told to get this lav mic to match H2N:
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/68272-REG/Audio_Technica_AT803_AT803B_Mini_Clip_On.html

It's XLR out so I will also need an adapter.

Any thoughts?
Reply Camcorders

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page