Zoom H6 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 06-16-2013, 10:41 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 32
I guess they must not have liked the fact that other companies have been releasing alternatives to the Zoom H4N and they decided to punish them with this product.

http://www.zoom.co.jp/news/article/548
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yBfJveLuANk

Expected to be released the end of July and the price will be $400 for the base unit and they'll be extra accessories you can buy.
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/967366-REG/zoom_h6_handy_audio_recorder.html
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 06-17-2013, 05:46 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 30
I love the actual knobs for adjusting gain smile.gif I may have to try one of these. American Musical Supply expects them in next week.
post #3 of 8 Old 06-17-2013, 03:07 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I've had the Zoom H4N for over 2 years and I've wondered when it's going to be replaced. Knowing how the Zoom H4N was revolutionary when it first came out (February of 2009), I knew it was going to be remarkable. I would love to hook this up to a mixer and try some things. With all that said, It's not really a successor but rather a more professional model. The H4N could still get a true replacement that has some of the features of the H6 including the color screen but with only 2 XLR inputs and built in mics rather than detachable. Perhaps the new version of the H4N could be even smaller.
post #4 of 8 Old 06-17-2013, 04:25 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 17
The Mid-side Mic looks interesting - just remains to be seen how good it is.

I am getting good M-S results using the Voxengo MSED M-S plugin in Adobe Audition. I usually capture audio with a Sony D50 and it's built in 90deg cardiod mics. I then convert the stereo track to M-S, then open a second session of Voxengo MSED to convert back to stereo with full adjustability of the stereo (ambient and reflected sounds) vs the center channel - eg voice. Eg, I may reduce the ambient sounds 9 to 20dB to make the dialoge pop. This is not possible if recording only in mono !

Hollywood and hi end acoustic recordings generally use MS config for this reason.
post #5 of 8 Old 06-17-2013, 06:35 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

This thing just needs a couple of things to be considered the perfect portable recorder. Better preamp and pure line level input. On the Zoom, if the audio board your hooking it up to give you a pure line output, you have to go through extra hoops such as either using a pad, attenuator or making sure the sound guy adjust his board settings to give a clean output to the H4N. For videographers who shoots presentations, live music videos, etc it would make their lives much easier not having to worry about what kind of output is getting out of the board. With all those extra features in a portable unit combined with fixing some of the issues that the H4N has, this thing is going to fly off the selves. That's way too much luxury for only $400 and I guess we'll see how people respond to it.
post #6 of 8 Old 06-18-2013, 05:25 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Zoom H6 is going to be a big hit with film producers, camera man, etc
post #7 of 8 Old 06-18-2013, 07:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 92
I don't have a recorder.

Has anyone used mics and software for the IPhone or iPod?
post #8 of 8 Old 06-21-2013, 04:13 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Hi Bill - I haven't used it, but users and reviewers both seem to love the $199 Rode iXY Recording MIc for iPhone/iPad.

Pretty funny promo video:

That said, it would be less expensive to get a Tascam DR-40 with 4 tracks and a couple of extra mic inputs. I have a DR-40, and it's fabulous - but, of course, it's not with me all the time - while my iPhone is smile.gif

Bill
Reply Camcorders

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page