Editing software question - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 31 Old 06-18-2013, 05:21 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Bill (and anyone else)

I've been using Roxio to do the relatively simple editing I need, but it well and truly gave up last week (read: they wanted me to upgrade and got tired of me not upgrading so it no longer works).

What I need software to do:
Trim the ends of a long video (static on front and back ends, plus the set-up and chit-chat on video as I set up, that kind of thing)
Cut the video into shorter bits (say, a 5 minute video of Christmas reallllly needs to be broken into bite-size bits)
Most importantly! I need to be able to remove the existing audio if crap, and lay in the audio from the voice recorder (I save as MP3--probably could pick other format too). I used Timeline in Roxio to do this and can't find a similar capability in Movie Maker.

I CAN lay in music in MM, but I need to match up the audio to the old audio for interviews, not just lay in pretty music.

Which software is the easiest to use, will allow me to do that, and will allow me to get .avi as output (or is there a better format for output?)

Final product will be put on DVD and sent to a national archive of veterans interviews. Does not need to be production quality but I want it to be good.

.Thanks for any and all advice.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 31 Old 06-18-2013, 06:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 90
The common term now for video software is "Non Linnear Editor" or NLE. There are thirty or so on the market. When I started my video addiction I decided I would get the best. I went through about four and was getting nowhere pretty rapidly.

Looking for the best or easiest was keeping me from getting anything done.

I decided that any one of several NLEs might be good enough. For three reasons I picked Adobe Premier Elements. A "youngster" I know works there, the retail price is about $80 and there are learning resources everywhere. I started with 9 and am now on version 11.

Now that I've learned this one NLE, I can't imagine anything being easier. Trimming the ends or cutting clips into pieces is quick and fast. It can be done with the mouse or keyboard shortcuts. Trimming can be done in a preview or after it is on the timeline. You can drag the ends or chop them off.

Getting rid of audio for any clip, or a selection of clips takes three steps. You "disconnect" the audio track from the video track, select the audio track or a selection of tracks and press delete. Adding an audio track is done by adding the audio track file to the project and dragging it to the timeline. There can be 99 tracks! I've done up to three and independently adjusted the volume for each so that narration comes in as background music fades. The first time I did it, I got a small headache. Now I can do it and drink beer at the same time.

I've never made an .avi file, so I tried it. It worked by only selecting it from list of menu choices. I prefer to do all the work in the project in the highest format my cameras can produce and my computer can handle. For me that is "AVCHD 1080p60". When the project is done, I can output to everything I've ever heard of with Adobe provided presets, or I can make my own. This afternoon I completed a project about a family wedding two years ago. The couple has forgotton I took any video. Their 2nd aniversery is in two weeks and I'm going to surprise them with a DVD as a present. In this case I shot AVCHD 1080i and am producing a Blu-Ray quality AVCHD Disk on an ordinary DVD+R. It was easy.

If you want to see how Premier Elements 11 works, there is a free 8 part tutorial here: http://muvipix.com/products.php?searchphrase=basic+training&btn.x=12&btn.y=10 You should be able to get through it in about an hour. Look for "Premier Elements 11 Basic Training". The same guy does a $25 course at lynda.com that will take you a couple days that will leave you with a high understanding of how it functions. Adobe will give you a free 30 day trial by download. There are a number of good books and lots of random YouTubes. There is a place called "Adobe TV" that has a couple dozen videos explaining how to use Premier Elements.

Another favorite NLE for many is the Sony consumer version of Vegas. I know nothing about it, but many say it is very capable. I don;t think there is anywhere near the learning opportunities. I have now real data, but I think that between Premier Elements and Vegas Home Studio, the rest of the 28 NLEs may be in the bottom half of the market. But, there are others that have their fans base.

I don't think you can find anyone, anywhere that has in depth knowledge on more than one NLE. When I read professionally written reviews, they usually have a number of flaws when they write about the only one I know. Because video editing is not a casual process, nobody takes the time to master more than one so can't get expert comparison advice.

FWIW, I am a vet. I'm a Navy pilot from the Viet Nam mess. It would be nice if I could say we accomplished something there, but I don't think we did. Accept that we learned what "polarization". Half the country learned to hate the other half based on the single issue of the war. I wanted to be a pilot. I lost a lot of friends who saw me as a lover of war. When I got out after six years I couldn't get a job. I was thrown out of an interview for a job delivering small aircraft when I "confessed" to being a Viet Nam pilot. I will say I had a good time. Happy Hour drinks were $.10 in the Officer's Clubs everywhere I went.

Good luck with your project. If you do decide on trying Premier Elements 11, let me know if I can help you get started.

Bill
post #3 of 31 Old 06-19-2013, 11:35 AM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by bsprague View Post

I decided that any one of several NLEs might be good enough. For three reasons I picked Adobe Premier Elements. A "youngster" I know works there, the retail price is about $80 and there are learning resources everywhere. I started with 9 and am now on version 11.
I agree. I would suggest paying $80 or so and getting good software. I happened to start with Sony Platinum but as Bill notes, there are others.

The (dis)advantage of Adobe and Sony is that if you get hooked, you can spend even more money.
post #4 of 31 Old 06-20-2013, 12:28 PM - Thread Starter

August:
Once you pick up a video camera, you're pretty much committed to the money pit. tongue.gif
post #5 of 31 Old 06-20-2013, 12:33 PM - Thread Starter

Bill

I found some VideoPad software I once used and it seems to do what I need, but I'm thinking since it's free I'm pretty limited. NOT that I want to be unlimited because that comes with an ever-increasing price tag!

My husband makes the same points about reviews: who the heck has used enough of almost any product to compare them?

Bought the Canon and awaiting delivery. Bought a couple of lavaliers you (I think) suggested. Looking to buy Dragon Naturally speaking to transcribe the videos...now Elements.

And thanks for your service, even if it was in a lost cause. I'm interviewing female vets (being one my own self).
post #6 of 31 Old 06-20-2013, 12:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin_G View Post

....Bought the Canon and awaiting delivery. Bought a couple of lavaliers you (I think) suggested. Looking to buy Dragon Naturally speaking to transcribe the videos...now Elements.

And thanks for your service, even if it was in a lost cause. I'm interviewing female vets (being one my own self).

Built into Premier Elements 11 is the ability to record and add narrative track as it plays.

What a timely project. As a male, I am extraordinarily confused and hurt over the manner in which we treat the women in the military. Rhonda Cornum and her husband were personal friends for a few years. She seems to be one of the first women in combat and maybe the first POW. She wrote at least one book.

Please do a good job on your project.

Bill
post #7 of 31 Old 06-20-2013, 01:47 PM - Thread Starter

Bill

No narration. What I need is to be able to drop in the audio from a voice recorder (which is better than the camera audio--at least until the lavs get here and work!) and match that up with the camera audio so it's perfect, and then cut the camera audio out. I could do that with Roxio but VideoPad is making me work for my supper.

And, no narration because these videos are their stories, warts and all. One woman has come out, one has been the victim of sexual assault; it's sometimes tough to do this but their stories need to be told. They're going to WIMSA (Women in Miltiary Service to America). I'm doing the best I can, my friend, and you are helping with this guidance to make the videos the best they can be.
post #8 of 31 Old 06-20-2013, 02:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 26
You can download the trial versions of editing software and check them out yourself before buying.

It really depends how much you are willing to spend, as there are many choices.

I personally prefer Sony Vegas and will have the ability to add an audio track (or more tracks) and then mute the original camcorder audio before render, as you described:
http://www.amazon.com/Sony-Movie-Studio-Platinum-12/dp/B008MIMHDU/ref=sr_1_2/183-9489177-4006108?ie=UTF8&qid=1371761809&sr=8-2&keywords=sony+vegas+platinum+12

http://www.amazon.com/Sony-Vegas-Studio-Platinum-Version/dp/B0051M6I9O/ref=sr_1_2/178-8460409-7665461?ie=UTF8&qid=1371761821&sr=8-2&keywords=sony+vegas+platinum+11

Movie Studio Platinum 12 trial download:
http://www.sonycreativesoftware.com/download/trials/moviestudiope

For other programs, just type the program name + trial into a search engine.
post #9 of 31 Old 06-20-2013, 05:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Bill

No narration. What I need is to be able to drop in the audio from a voice recorder (which is better than the camera audio--at least until the lavs get here and work!) and match that up with the camera audio so it's perfect, and then cut the camera audio out.

It is very easy to drop an audio track into Premier Elements from most anywhere.

It is harder to get it to lip sync perfectly. The tracks can be moved and adjusted to the individual frame. If it is a long clip, the exact timing of the recorder and the video may not be perfect. It is one of the reasons you see the Hollywood "clap board" used. It makes a spike in the track that can be lined up.

If the sync drifts, you can easily cut the track and move it a frame or two. It might be tedious.

One of the things I've read about the $600 pro version is that it has some tools for audio syncing that can make it easier. I've not tried it.
post #10 of 31 Old 06-20-2013, 05:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by xfws View Post

....I personally prefer Sony Vegas and will have the ability to add an audio track (or more tracks) and then mute the original camcorder audio before render, as you described:
http://www.amazon.com/Sony-Movie-Studio-Platinum-12/dp/B008MIMHDU/ref=sr_1_2/183-9489177-4006108?ie=UTF8&qid=1371761809&sr=8-2&keywords=sony+vegas+platinum+12

I agree that Sony Movie Studio 12 would be a good choice. I don't know anyone that has mastered both the Sony and Adobe consumer level products. Many have tried both. Once you get used to a workflow in one, it is hard to adapt or understand any other. So, it is hard to know which is "better".

Evaluation is even made more difficult by the release cycle. One might find version 9 didn't do what they wanted so switched brands. Now on versions 11 and 12, everything is different but the memory of the version 9 experience sticks.

Frankly, I think you could pick between the two by throwing a dart. Success will be more dependent on doing what it takes to learn what you buy. By it's very nature, video editing is one of the more complex computer tasks we consumers do and some learning curve experience can't be avoided.

Although AVCHD is a few years old in cameras, it is newer in third party NLEs. If you camera is new, I would get the latest version of anything you buy as it is likely to have better handling of AVCHD clips.
post #11 of 31 Old 06-20-2013, 07:01 PM - Thread Starter

Camera is so new it's not yet here! But, by the time it arrives it will be nearly obsolete. Isn't that how technology works?

I use a version of the clapboard by, well, a loud clap just as I start. Still couldn't get it lined up perfectly. Will try with whichever new editing software I get.
post #12 of 31 Old 06-20-2013, 08:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I use a version of the clapboard by, well, a loud clap just as I start. Still couldn't get it lined up perfectly. Will try with whichever new editing software I get.

I think the slight misalignment has to do with two different devices.

When I see the wav forms slightly off, I always drag it to the right of the original audio, in that sound takes a moment to travel whereas you wouldn't hear someone talk before it visually happens.

It really doesn't matter as it's only a fraction of a second and undetectable, but I do that anyway.
post #13 of 31 Old 06-20-2013, 08:25 PM
AVS Special Member

btw, if you're not aware of Plural Eyes - it's program that will sync all your audio and video for you/without a clapboard:

http://www.redgiant.com/products/all/pluraleyes/#tabs

Check "compatibility" at the site for the programs it works with.
post #14 of 31 Old 06-21-2013, 04:33 AM

Liked: 12
Quote:

I agree that Sony Movie Studio 12 would be a good choice. I don't know anyone that has mastered both the Sony and Adobe consumer level products. Many have tried both. Once you get used to a workflow in one, it is hard to adapt or understand any other. So, it is hard to know which is "better".

Evaluation is even made more difficult by the release cycle. One might find version 9 didn't do what they wanted so switched brands. Now on versions 11 and 12, everything is different but the memory of the version 9 experience sticks.

Frankly, I think you could pick between the two by throwing a dart. Success will be more dependent on doing what it takes to learn what you buy. By it's very nature, video editing is one of the more complex computer tasks we consumers do and some learning curve experience can't be avoided.

Although AVCHD is a few years old in cameras, it is newer in third party NLEs. If you camera is new, I would get the latest version of anything you buy as it is likely to have better handling of AVCHD clips.

I agree with Bill in regards to whichever NLE you look at and try, there will be a learning curve involved. I also agree with him concerning the rate of updates the various NLEs go through from version to version. I have tried several programs over the last three years and I have found that the top five or six consumer offerings all are capable programs. Pick two or three and then over the next few weeks, download their free trials and try each one. After you have found one that seems to fit the bill, buy it and learn it over the next several months. You will find out exactly what you need from an NLE over that time, and whether your choice does the job or not. If not, buy another product. They are not that expensive.
post #15 of 31 Old 06-21-2013, 12:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Railfan View Post

I agree with Bill in regards to whichever NLE you look at and try, there will be a learning curve involved. I also agree with him concerning the rate of updates the various NLEs go through from version to version. I have tried several programs over the last three years and I have found that the top five or six consumer offerings all are capable programs. Pick two or three and then over the next few weeks, download their free trials and try each one. After you have found one that seems to fit the bill, buy it and learn it over the next several months. You will find out exactly what you need from an NLE over that time, and whether your choice does the job or not. If not, buy another product. They are not that expensive.
I agree with Railfan that the top consumer NLEs are capable. They wouldn't be in the top if they weren't. I disagree that a beginner should spend weeks working through their free trials. Those weeks are lost! My view is that picking one, committing to it, and spending those weeks learning that one is time better invested. Instead of learning 3 or 4 a little bit, you will learn a lot about one you can use.

I also think, that with organized learning from a skilled and knowledgeable teacher, will shorten the time from months to a couple weeks. I've pushed this before so maybe I'm beating the drum too hard. But, the course at lynda.com on Premier Elements 11 starts with the basics and builds your skill set a block at a time. If you're motivated, you can complete it in a weekend and you'll "get it". If pressed, I would say opportunity for the course is of more importance than the software itself. The $25 for the course is cheaper than most books.

I started my video addition a couple years ago and wasted six months trying to figure out what editing is and does. When I committed to the course the lightbulbs all came on in a few days. Granted, I'm old enough that the learning rate may have slowed!
post #16 of 31 Old 06-22-2013, 03:29 AM

Liked: 12
I respect Bills opinion, and it does have merit. Having been familiar with a particular NLE for several years, I was able to navigate through a number of free trials from other manufactures with relative ease. Thus I was able to discover the strengths and weaknesses of each and determine which one I wanted to explore in greater depth. As Bill has pointed out, someone just starting out with little to no prior knowledge of NLEs would indeed find themselves over their head following such a course. I would therefore also suggest you purchase and learn one of the following (in no particular order):

Adobe Premiere Elements
Cyberlink Power Director 11
Corel Video Studio Pro
Sony Vegas Movie Studio

While Bill has used and supports Adobe, I have been using Cyberlink after having used Pinnacle for years. I suspect that either of us might have used something else just as easily, but found that the particular program we chose fit in with what we needed most and fit our individual personalities. After one year with Cyberlink, I still am learning some of the more intricate tools in the program. I also am learning that there are a couple of things that I want, but the program does not do; perhaps do to my increasing editing skills, knowledge, and newly discovered demands. Once this stage is reached, it is perhaps time to move up to a more professional level editing program. But that is just me. Most people have no need (nor desire) for a more advanced and complicated level of editing.

There is no perfect NLE, but the above listed products will have most of what you want and will need. Best of luck to you.

Mike
post #17 of 31 Old 06-22-2013, 10:11 AM
AVS Special Member

I agree. That's a good list.

It is true I am a fan of Premier Elements. And I'm sure the other three are equally capable. But, using that list, do some google searching or Amazon searching and see how much you can find in the way of training books, videos, tutorials and courses for them. It is the learning resources that make it for me.

Bill
post #18 of 31 Old 06-22-2013, 11:13 AM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Railfan View Post

Adobe Premiere Elements
Cyberlink Power Director 11
Corel Video Studio Pro
Sony Vegas Movie Studio
That's a good list but I would include Pinnacle. There are also a few free software packages (ffmpeg). At various times, I have used them all - or a free trial.

The advantage of Sony and Adobe is that they offer upgrades to the real deal. Two other points: the trial versions don't always do the same as the purchased version so be careful. "Rendering" is a key word in any software because it determines how the final product will look.

----

bsprague's suggestion to take a course intrigues me. I reckon that I wasted alot of time teaching myself Sony Vegas. It would have been cheaper and less nerve-wracking to take a course at a local community college. I'd also know more.
Quote:

FWIW, I am a vet. I'm a Navy pilot from the Viet Nam mess. It would be nice if I could say we accomplished something there, but I don't think we did. Accept that we learned what "polarization".
FWIW, I'm a younger Canadian who sees the Vietnam War differently. For me, Vietnam is like Dunkerque or Dieppe: an important battle in a broader war that the good side ultimately won. Since Americans willingly fought in Vietnam, the West ultimately won the Cold War. Thank you.
DisBelieving likes this.
post #19 of 31 Old 06-22-2013, 11:44 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for your input and also for your opinion on the Vietnam War. I always appreciate different perspectives--gives me something to think about and a new way to think about it.
post #20 of 31 Old 06-22-2013, 04:35 PM
AVS Special Member

"bsprague's suggestion to take a course intrigues me. I reckon that I wasted alot of time teaching myself Sony Vegas. It would have been cheaper and less nerve-wracking to take a course at a local community college. I'd also know more."

I'm having trouble making my point, which is that the lynda.com teaching model is superior to both classroom or book for computer software. The reason is that you see the the process unfold on your computer in full screen. If you yawn or briefly brain fade in a classroom, you can't rewind and you can quickly be lost.

In every lynda.com course, there are free sample chapters. Try one to test the learning/teaching process.

Additionally, the $25 a month price is a lot cheaper than buying gas for the commute to a community college.
post #21 of 31 Old 06-22-2013, 04:41 PM
AVS Special Member

"FWIW, I'm a younger Canadian who sees the Vietnam War differently. For me, Vietnam is like Dunkerque or Dieppe: an important battle in a broader war that the good side ultimately won. Since Americans willingly fought in Vietnam, the West ultimately won the Cold War. Thank you."

This is off topic, but thank you for your point of view. To make the record clear I am a Vietnam vet. But, my roll was to fly an air-conditioned four engine airplane during daylight patrols over the ocean near Vietnam. I slept in officers quarters every night and ate at a table with a table cloth for most dinners. I was never in harms way. There were many that flew off carriers and had to dodge missiles. I was not one of them.
post #22 of 31 Old 06-22-2013, 11:58 PM

Even here in the AVS forums Vietnam rears its head smile.gif i was a Marine grunt there in 1968. My desire to film and edit, for kicks, may be inspired by that experience however Nam will never be its topic.like most others here i am grappling with which camera, which platform, pc or mac. Will i devote my money and time in my efforts to simply create.
Anyone might know what percentage of Premiere users ate pc and mac? I am seeking ability to find support in the future from real users of these programs.

quote name="August1991" url="/t/1477899/editing-software-question#post_23456383"]
That's a good list but I would include Pinnacle. There are also a few free software packages (ffmpeg). At various times, I have used them all - or a free trial.

The advantage of Sony and Adobe is that they offer upgrades to the real deal. Two other points: the trial versions don't always do the same as the purchased version so be careful. "Rendering" is a key word in any software because it determines how the final product will look.

----

bsprague's suggestion to take a course intrigues me. I reckon that I wasted alot of time teaching myself Sony Vegas. It would have been cheaper and less nerve-wracking to take a course at a local community college. I'd also know more.
FWIW, I'm a younger Canadian who sees the Vietnam War differently. For me, Vietnam is like Dunkerque or Dieppe: an important battle in a broader war that the good side ultimately won. Since Americans willingly fought in Vietnam, the West ultimately won the Cold War. Thank you.[/quote]
post #23 of 31 Old 06-23-2013, 12:27 AM
AVS Special Member

"Anyone might know what percentage of Premiere users are pc and mac? I am seeking ability to find support in the future from real users of these programs."

Adobe sponsors user forums for all their products. For Premier Elements, it is here: http://forums.adobe.com/community/premiere_elements. Real users share support there. There is another independent site, http://muvipix.com/, where users support each other.

Reading those forums over time, I get the sense that most use PCs. If I had to guess, I would say 20% are Mac users. Premier Elements has a few features that don't work on a Mac for some reason.

"The advantage of Sony and Adobe is that they offer upgrades to the real deal. Two other points: the trial versions don't always do the same as the purchased version so be careful."

Adobe Premier Elements trial is the same and good for 30 days. There is not really an upgrade path from Elements to Pro in the Adobe world. The code is not shared and the interface is different. Moving from Elements to Pro is more like switching brands that upgrading.
post #24 of 31 Old 06-24-2013, 03:18 PM - Thread Starter

Tried out Elements Premier (trial version) and final video was not that good. Shot with Canon Vixia RF11

Bought a Vixia RF 400. Just got it in the mail. First impression: the DC plug in cord is a dedicated cord. Can't interchange if you lose it! Grrrr
post #25 of 31 Old 06-24-2013, 04:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Define "not that good". Can you post a short clip somewhere? I use Vegas, but lots of people use PE with decent results.
post #26 of 31 Old 06-24-2013, 04:36 PM - Thread Starter

Not that good meaning the clip produced by MS MovieMaker was better. The clip is 1.5 hours. Could grab a clip but have a gazillion other things going on right now.
post #27 of 31 Old 06-28-2013, 07:57 PM - Thread Starter

Also, the clip was of an interview and I don't have permission to upload the person's image other than for the purpose of the interview. Sorry. But in general, the eyes were smudgy and sunken-looking, the edges overall seemed duller.
post #28 of 31 Old 06-28-2013, 08:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Bought a Vixia RF 400.... First impression: the DC plug in cord is a dedicated cord. Can't interchange if you lose it! Grrrr
http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_odkw=canon+RF+400+power&_osacat=0&_trksid=m570.l3201&_nkw=Canon+CA-110+Compact+Power+Adapter+&_sacat=0
post #29 of 31 Old 06-29-2013, 06:29 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks. My luck is normally that the day I lose the cord is the day the spares and all parts are so obsolete you can't find them anywhere. A mere ten on eBay worries me.
post #30 of 31 Old 06-29-2013, 05:34 PM

I have been using PE for 7 years. I used PE2 until this December. I got tired of converting HD video with convertxtodvd and also needed a pc upgrade. Now I have PE11 and do not like it. Yes, it's easier I guess but I am familiar and maybe somebody new to editing would hate it. It has a couple flaws that really bug me.1st is the audio limit on menus. 30 seconds is a joke honestly. I used Nero before adobe since it came with the DVD burner. It had issues but at least you could use as much audio as you wanted on you menus. The trade off was it used more data. Who cares.

Now, PE11 is even worse. There is a 4:29 limit on the motion menu buttons! I always used video on the menu buttons and on PE2 it was the same as the music limit, 30 secs but this is ridiculous. I have tried emailing adobe in their fix it forums but got nowhere.

Lastly, it has trouble importing iphone4 vids. I am currently stuck on my latest movie because it will not import all iPhone vids. I am troubleshooting it with adobe community help.

Anybody familiar with DVD maker that comes with windows7?
Reply Camcorders

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page