Is there a AVCHD cutter that will keep the format? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 22 Old 06-22-2013, 06:10 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have a growing library of AVCHD clips that I will be using in due course with an editing software, but is there any programme that will allow me to simply top-and-tail excess footage off the clips to save disc space, return them to my PCs video library, and still retain the AVCHD (M2TS) format? I can't find anything that doesn't immediately convert the AVCHD to another format!
Jordan41
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 Old 06-22-2013, 06:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 200

You can edit the m2ts files with tsmuxer, then repackage them with multiAVCHD, both free.

Will that do what you want?

Downloadable FREE demo discs:
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1475769/de...ently-authored 

Did you really need to quote that entire post in your reply?
post #3 of 22 Old 06-22-2013, 10:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 90
The software that comes with Sony and Panasonic cameras and camcorders does it very well.
post #4 of 22 Old 06-23-2013, 01:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Free software from the companies themselves works like a charm but their might be compatibility issues depending on where the files came from. You'll need to make sure to download the specific one for your camcorder's model. A software program that edits native files no matter what camcorder it came from is this: http://tmpgenc.pegasys-inc.com/en/product/tmsr4.html Another software that does it is this: http://www.videoredo.com/en/Compare.htm You need the H.264 version though. The first link only costs around $44 dollars and since you want something simple just to save space, I'd recommend that out of the 2.
post #5 of 22 Old 06-23-2013, 09:24 AM - Thread Starter

Paulo

Greetings from Devon, England, to Massachusetts, USA. Thank you very much! I just downloaded the trial version of TMPGEnc, and it is exactly what I need. It has taken me about 10 minutes to find my way around the programme, cut the unwanted sections from a test clip, and return it, in the same AVCHD format, to its library folder, minus 25MB of 'dross'. The programme is easy and 'does what it says on the tin'. They have a new customer!!

Jordan41
post #6 of 22 Old 06-23-2013, 02:57 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 17
STREAMCLIP (free) http://www.squared5.com/ works for me, it has a nice GUI and is much easier to use than TSMUXER.
post #7 of 22 Old 06-24-2013, 12:37 PM

Liked: 11
Pepster, thanks for that link. It solves a problem for me. IIRC, tsmuxer/TMPGEnc are not only user unfriendly but they also mess with installed codecs. I would prefer to avoid this and Squared5 seems perfect for my need.

I expected that Squared5 is based on ffmpeg but apparently it's not.
post #8 of 22 Old 06-25-2013, 08:45 AM

Liked: 12
I wholeheartedly recommend TMPGEnc MPEG Smart Renderer 4. Why?
You can cut ANYWHERE on the clip and the resultant output file is glitch free. Also, you can take a single clip and split it into smaller clips, and re-arrange the order (or add new clips or both) and output it all into one giant file or a series of files.
With the latest update you can even do a scene detect/commercial detection. It's very fast and accurate, and I've trimmed hundreds of files with it. Not sure what other people are having codec issues with this product, but I have none. Works a treat, and you can even add titles and other cool things.
markr041 likes this.
post #9 of 22 Old 06-25-2013, 08:48 AM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by August1991 View Post

Pepster, thanks for that link. It solves a problem for me. IIRC, tsmuxer/TMPGEnc are not only user unfriendly but they also mess with installed codecs. I would prefer to avoid this and Squared5 seems perfect for my need.

If TMPGEnc MPEG Smart Renderer 4 is user unfriendly I don't know what to tell you. My wife could edit video with it, and she's borderline computer illiterate.

I will give you that TSMUXER works as well but you have to know EXACTLY the time code that you want to keep; there's no GUI with it. It's fine for quick cuts where you know you want to say remove everything after the 6:00 minute mark or something.
TMPGEnc MPEG Smart Renderer 4 rocks, and I don't work for them...smile.gif
markr041 likes this.
post #10 of 22 Old 06-29-2013, 08:20 AM

Shield

In TMPGEnc, have you been able to lay in a second audio? I can add it to the project but it makes me choose one or the other. I want to lay them both in, match them up and then delete the camera audio and use the external recorder audio. I'm using the trial version. I'm liking what I see on the video and agree that trimming (which is my goal) is easy to learn and use.
post #11 of 22 Old 06-29-2013, 08:49 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 20
One of my concerns is what such prgms do to the source file.

For instance TMPGEnc (which is a really good looking piece of software,) states the following:
"TMPGEnc MPEG Smart Renderer 4 (successor to TMPGEnc MPEG Editor 3) is a lossless, frame-level MPEG editor that allows you to cut,
split and join clips with only the bare minimum of re-encoding (also known as smart rendering).
This means practically no loss in quality and super-fast output."

[Edit- see markr041's replie below]

(Btw Just so you understand - Smart Rendering is usually a term which means using the video cards graphics power, the GPU, to help speed up the final rendering output.
I have played around with another prgm that utilize the GPU Smart Rendering and it increases the loss in video quality.
In other words the speed up Smart Rendering feature is Bad. Which is what the above in Bold is referring to.)

So my question is to those who have used these prgms and did a detailed comparison:

1.) Was there any loss of quality when compared to the original source file?

and also

2.) Using the manufacturers software that comes with your camera- did you notice any loss of quality when you trimmed your clips?
thanks

Rob
post #12 of 22 Old 06-29-2013, 09:54 AM

Rob

I used a slightly older version of the Canon software Pixela to attempt to trim a video and finally gave up before I threw it across the room. There's probably an easier way but I couldn't get the fidelity I needed to clip where I wanted. Going from memory (a week ago) seems I had to kinda remember where the marker was and aim for that. I haven't opened the software for the newer Pixela yet for the new Canon since I wasn't sure I would keep it.
post #13 of 22 Old 06-29-2013, 03:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobAC View Post

One of my concerns is what such prgms do to the source file.

For instance TMPGEnc (which is a really good looking piece of software,) states the following:
"TMPGEnc MPEG Smart Renderer 4 (successor to TMPGEnc MPEG Editor 3) is a lossless, frame-level MPEG editor that allows you to cut,
split and join clips with only the bare minimum of re-encoding (also known as smart rendering).
This means practically no loss in quality and super-fast output."

(Btw Just so you understand - Smart Rendering is usually a term which means using the video cards graphics power, the GPU, to help speed up the final rendering output.
I have played around with another prgm that utilize the GPU Smart Rendering and it increases the loss in video quality.
In other words the speed up Smart Rendering feature is Bad. Which is what the above in Bold is referring to.)

So my question is to those who have used these prgms and did a detailed comparison:

1.) Was there any loss of quality when compared to the original source file?

and also

2.) Using the manufacturers software that comes with your camera- did you notice any loss of quality when you trimmed your clips?
thanks

Rob

'Smart Rendering' does NOT mean gpu use - it means no re-rendering if not necessary. Re-rendering occurs at clip merges only (which is necessary to avoid glitches). I use TMPGEnc and it does what it says. There is no loss in quality. The speed comes from the absence of re-rendering, although the program can use the gpu to speed up the merge processing. The source files are left alone

You can download the original videos I made using the program and see there is no loss in quality. For example:

https://vimeo.com/57774112
Shield likes this.
post #14 of 22 Old 06-30-2013, 02:35 PM

Thanks Robin.

Mark- thanks for the input.
My confusion was with the GPU options tied into the Smart Rendering output while using another prgm- hence I was under the impression they were one and the same with this one. (Silly assumption on my part.)
Good to know.

Rob
post #15 of 22 Old 06-30-2013, 07:43 PM

Inflation is bad in software prices! TMPGEnc is now $70 (although the intro screen says prices start at $43.95, there are no options for that kind of price)
post #16 of 22 Old 06-30-2013, 10:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Making your software more expensive is one thing and it's legal but I hope they realize that being shown a much cheaper price on the main screen and then getting a more expensive price when people go to order it sounds very similar to a "bait and switch" tactic and that's not really legal ( and that's if this particular case is proven to be "bait and switch" by the law). It could be just a mistake and hopefully they fix it.
post #17 of 22 Old 06-30-2013, 10:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin_G View Post

Inflation is bad in software prices! TMPGEnc is now $70 (although the intro screen says prices start at $43.95, there are no options for that kind of price)

Inflation means a price increase. The $70 price was the price in January, so no "inflation" since then. The lower prices are upgrade prices, standard. And those listed upgrade lower prices ("start at") is the usual teaser.
post #18 of 22 Old 07-01-2013, 03:50 AM

Whenever I see a prgm I am interested in I d/l the trial or better yet full time limited trial and test it out.
If I like it, I try and find out if they have discount offers if you sign up to their email list. (Reputable companies offer an opt out later on- I use a dedicated spam email address to filter these out.)

Often times I just email their sales support and say: "I am interested in your product do you offer a discount for first time purchasers?"
More than once I have gotten some amazing deals just by doing this.

Or else just play the waiting game and wait for sales around the back to school, thanksgiving, or some type of holiday depending on where you live.
Once you purchase the license to a full version of the software then the updates are discounted.

For some programs they offer buy a license once and you get full free updates for life
But these are far and few between.
post #19 of 22 Old 07-01-2013, 01:05 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by August1991 View Post

I didn't make this clear, not only is STREAMCLIP free, and if you use the 'Go to Keyframe' command, then edits will be completely loss less - ie, no re-complession - for rough edits this is fine.

STREAMCLIP free and give easy lossless edits.
post #20 of 22 Old 07-01-2013, 01:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Don't forget that most modern cameras allow cutting right in-camera, although it is probably impossible to do it with single frame precision (or even with a keyframe precision).
post #21 of 22 Old 07-01-2013, 02:01 PM
Advanced Member

My CANON DSLRs edit on key frames.

However, usually no time to edit in the field, and if it is a long event, or away for several days, then I move the files off to my laptop, and the ability to edit later in camera is lost.
post #22 of 22 Old 07-03-2013, 10:33 AM

The OP said it was $45.

I will try Streamclip when I return from traveling. For now, the free VideoPad worked fine. Not sure if it was totally lossless but it worked for my purposes for now (end result was a nice quality video).
Reply Camcorders

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page